Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New pig wrestler

Go down

New pig wrestler Empty New pig wrestler

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi my name is jeremie I finally got myself a 2001 XR650r it's basically stock with a full T4 exhaust and a BD stator and regulator, got the bike with the intentions to do some trips and a few local races a year. I live along the Colorado river in the western part of Az, I do a lot of riding locally but do some trips to nv and soca on occasion

Back to top Go down

New pig wrestler Empty Re: New pig wrestler

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi and welcome  banana 

someone will be along to tell you what to check on your earlier model - clutch bushing I think and .....

Regards
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:37 pm

SkidMark wrote:Hi and welcome  banana 

someone will be along to tell you what to check on your earlier model - clutch bushing I think and .....

Regards
SkidMark

That's about it, maybe output shaft seal  Bump 
welcome to the forums btw
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 pm

Hey Jeremie

Welcome
Good to see another BRP owner in the area  2 thumbs 
Just bought a 650r a few months ago myself , Keep an eye on rides in the area here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29 Also some are here http://my2wheels.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 am

Headed to calico this weekend for some camping a riding

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Welcome and enjoy  nice 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm

welocme
as a new member my self l have learn't much , read the topics on these bikes one learns the possiblies and the remedities
mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 am

Was the motor uncorked?

How far do you ride? Bigger Clarke or IMS tank. Don't get the 6.6 gallon Sahara tank. If you don't believe me you hump a steel 55 gallon drum for 6 hours then get back to me. asking for it 

Make sure you have or the previous owner complete the right foot peg modification!

Pull the thermostat out.

The factory choke plate is know to come off. XRs Only makes a replacement or install a pumper carb.

Remove the bolt securing the exhaust system to the sub frame (just a few inches behind the carb). This keep the flexing subframe from working a crack into the silencer pipe.

Have the suspension setup for your weight!!!!!!!!! If you don't want to do it Rob Barnum can hook you up. He is in Phoenix. Rob is better than Borynack or the Basic job Precision Concepts sell to the public.

Run a good semi synthetic oil

Grease all steering and suspension bearing with a good waterproof grease like schaeffer grease.

Put a little anti seize on the chain adjustment bolts.

Maxxis desert IT rear tire
Maxxis SI front tire
Ultra HEavy duty inner tubes. Say Bridgestones.

Steering stabilizer.

Ironman sprockets by Dirt tricks in Minden, Nevada are the best. If you are going to do open desert or paved road riding 15/47 is a good combination. If you wanted to switch back to 14/18 your chain is the same length.

280mm oversized front brake rotor is nice!

Evans coolant!!! Remember to follow the water purging process.

Remember when you first start the bike cold, let it idle a little while before you start reving the motor. You need to get some oil up to the rocker arms.

That's all for now.

Last edited by AURORA on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 am

Read around the forum for alternative views and make your own decisions based on your riding style and type.....don't just blindly follow the above.

:-)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 pm

SkidMark wrote:Read around the forum for alternative views and make your own decisions based on your riding style and type.....don't just blindly follow the above.

:-)

Skid,

I agree everyone should look at a possibilities and make their own decision.

Question, is there a recommendation I listed for a Arizona/Nevada bike which you don't like?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:26 am

Don't want to start discussions on things that have been flogged to death before but personally I wouldn't take the thermostat out and I don't know why you would say don't buy the Sahara tank. I guess it's more your delivery of stating things as 'facts' rather than opinions.

Regards
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:06 pm

You should be checking the thermostat as you check the oil , this is a RACING BIKE ! = requires more attention/maintenance , and you can buy the XR;s only replacement which is more reliable than the honda part . The only broken XR;s i have seen are the ones owned by the " wrong person " , care for the bike and it will serve you for a long time , the thermostat is used in every watercooled engine in the world , and there is a damn good reason for that . Oh and some pre 2002 bikes suffered from clutch bushing fail , read about it . BTW my footpegs have not fallen of yet , but i am keeping an eye on them  Bananatool 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:10 am

AURORA wrote:Was the motor uncorked?

How far do you ride? Bigger Clarke or IMS tank. Don't get the 6.6 gallon Sahara tank. If you don't believe me you hump a steel 55 gallon drum for 6 hours then get back to me. asking for it 

Make sure you have or the previous owner complete the right foot peg modification!

Pull the thermostat out.

The factory choke plate is know to come off. XRs Only makes a replacement or install a pumper carb.

Remove the bolt securing the exhaust system to the sub frame (just a few inches behind the carb). This keep the flexing subframe from working a crack into the silencer pipe.

Have the suspension setup for your weight!!!!!!!!! If you don't want to do it Rob Barnum can hook you up. He is in Phoenix. Rob is better than Borynack or the Basic job Precision Concepts sell to the public.

Run a good semi synthetic oil

Grease all steering and suspension bearing with a good waterproof grease like schaeffer grease.

Put a little anti seize on the chain adjustment bolts.

Maxxis desert IT rear tire
Maxxis SI front tire
Ultra HEavy duty inner tubes. Say Bridgestones.

Steering stabilizer.

Ironman sprockets by Dirt tricks in Minden, Nevada are the best. If you are going to do open desert or paved road riding 15/47 is a good combination. If you wanted to switch back to 14/18 your chain is the same length.

280mm oversized front brake rotor is nice!

Evans coolant!!! Remember to follow the water purging process.

Remember when you first start the bike cold, let it idle a little while before you start reving the motor. You need to get some oil up to the rocker arms.

That's all for now.

average ride is 50-70 miles for dirt rides but 100+ when I ride duel sport with it1, just did a LED light up grade and a UNI filter and 68s pilot jet, bike came  with the air box mods (no cover mod yet) 175 main jet, needle on the 2 clip from the bottom 65s pilot jet and a full T4 header and muffler, and phat bars.New pig wrestler 1528675_10201359251765765_1100135433_n

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 am

New pig wrestler 1549440_10200738120010252_1321788776_n
New pig wrestler 1528762_10200738119530240_1760098075_n

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Half of the light produced by those nice LED's ends up on your fender my lad , position not ideal  trust 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Yea after I get a stock XRL or XRR headlamp assembly I'll re fab a mount that goes above the light

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum