Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monte Carlo or bust

Go down

Monte Carlo or bust  Empty Monte Carlo or bust

Post  Guest Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Off to Monte Carlo via the Alps and a few off road mountain passes. One week to get there. A lap of the GP circuit, and then a week to get back.

Monte Carlo or bust  <a href=Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2592_zpssetpvkji" />

Full report when I return. 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Monte Carlo or bust  Empty Re: Monte Carlo or bust

Post  Mauser Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:37 pm

lol ride safe BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:49 am

Oh, piss off please

Yes I'm jealous, enjoy you lucky bugger! Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 pm

What a great trip, and what a great bike.

Did 2400 miles in 2 weeks with 5 mates. One GS1200 Adventure, two GS800's, a VFR800 and a R1200GS, so it was mainly roads, but I went off by myself one day for a 40km off road trip up and around Monte Jafferau on the Italian/ France border. The next day the GS1200 and the two GS800 came with me for a 20km off road trip over the Col Du Parpaillon.

I was so pleased with the XR. There can't be many bikes that will get you there on the motorway, let you do the off roading so well, and then let you keep up with your mates on the twisty mountain roads. We did a few big ones including the Col du Bonnet (the highest road in Europe) and the Col de L'iseran.

The aim of the trip was to get to Monte Carlo via the Alps, do a lap of the GP circuit, and then come back again through the Alps.

The bike consistantly gave me 48mpg, and it took some pretty heavy handed throttle up and down the passes. It used one litre of oil (I had to top it up most days). It's finished off the chain, but the TKC70 tyres lasted well and performed really well (although the off roading was very dry and gentle).
The bike is jetted for sea level and the highest I went was 2900m. It started to struggle a bit from about 2500m, but it was nothing to worry about and it started fine at the top of the passes.

I'm going to take a mate with a KTM next year and concentrate more on the off road passes. I can't recommend Monte Jafferau enough if you ever get the chance. Remote, unspoilt and pretty easy. The views were outstanding.

I discovered Wikiloc which is a fantastic source of off road routes if you apply the most appropriate filters. I downloaded the routes to my phone and was able to follow them from the saddle with the phone in the Ram mount (which I would also totally recommend).

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2625

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2631

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2636

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2637

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2640

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2642

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2654

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2655

Monte Carlo or bust  IMG_2714

Monte Carlo or bust  SAM_1938

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm

Great stuff

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:09 am

Awesome ride!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am

Looks like you had an awesome riding adventure. Nice pictures!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down