Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from BROOKLYN N.Y. !

Go down

Hello from BROOKLYN N.Y. ! Empty Hello from BROOKLYN N.Y. !

Post  Guest Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Hello all ! I`ve become completely addicted to the XR650R. About 3 months ago I bought my first 650R. In beautiful condition. So much so that I don`t want to take it in the dirt. It came with 3 complete sets of rims. 1 set of 17" Excel supermoto, a set of stock size Excel for the dirt and the originals with the original tires. I liked the bike so much I bought another completely bone stock this weekend just for the woods. So I`ll keep one as a supermoto and one for the woods. What a great bike with gobbs of power ! Hope to learn a lot about the bike here..PEACE, AJ

Back to top Go down

Hello from BROOKLYN N.Y. ! Empty Re: Hello from BROOKLYN N.Y. !

Post  Mauser Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Welcome I like your idea of 2 bikes.... BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Good luck bud, you will need 2 bikes to rob spare parts. My piece of shit 04 model has not run for more than a year. Cleaned everything, checked everything over and over. Only has 13000 original km, i know because i bought it brand new. What a mistake that was, ready to burn it when i find a box of matches, good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:56 pm

beaver350 wrote:Good luck bud, you will need 2 bikes to rob spare parts. My piece of shit 04 model has not run for more than a year. Cleaned everything, checked everything over and over. Only has 13000 original km, i know because i bought it brand new. What a mistake that was, ready to burn it when i find a box of matches, good luck.
Whats up with it ?, cannot get more simpler than the 650 ?.....does she spark etc?
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 pm

beaver350 wrote:Good luck bud, you will need 2 bikes to rob spare parts. My piece of shit 04 model has not run for more than a year. Cleaned everything, checked everything over and over. Only has 13000 original km, i know because i bought it brand new. What a mistake that was, ready to burn it when i find a box of matches, good luck.

WOW, I`m surprised that you`re having these issues. I will tell you this. When I bought mine it had starting issues. The guy I bought it from must have started it and ran it that day because after I brought it home I could`t get it to start for the life of me. 10-15 kicks before it would finally turn over. beat head I checked the bike from top to bottom and could`t find the issue. A day or so later I was riding it and noticed a little burp when I touched the throttle. Did a lot of reading and found others had the same problem after some time with their XRR....I finally picked up a Mikuni TM-40 pumper carb..HOLY SH!T what a difference !. One kick hot or cold every time. It`s a real joy to ride now...Hope this helps in some way..PEACE, AJ  Bananatool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Mauser wrote:Welcome I like your idea of 2 bikes.... BRP smile

Thanks !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:42 am

Mauser wrote:
Whats up with it ?, cannot get more simpler than the 650 ?.....does she spark etc?
Spark yes got that , see below

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:04 am

Yes i know some don't like the stock carb. I have left the stock carb. on from new, engine is standard except for basic uncorking. Has always taken 4,5,6 kicks cold start, 2 kicks when hot. That i can live with, and after it starts has never been a problem and the performance has been more than adequate even with 15/41 gearing, that is standard gearing here. The last time this bike moved under its own power it went for about 5 mins. started to miss and breakdown in 3 rd gear and above, took it back home and has never run since. Since that day have tried to check everything i can think of, carb cleaned out multiple times, drained the tank, fresh fuel, removed fuel tap from tank, yes is clean, plenty of fuel flow from fuel line to carb. Checked valve clearance at TDC, normal. Checked air cleaner, and air box for restrictions, clean. Have ended up replacing Coil, Coil lead and cap, Spark plug of course, BKR7E11 NGK, Ignition Control Module , DO NOT have access to PEAK VOLTAGE METER as per workshop manual but have checked and cleaned every wiring connection possible, checked continuity of ENGINE STOP SWITCH ?????? yes .Removed stator from crankcase checked every wire from one end to the other with multi meter to ensure no broken wires in the harness.Same checks in harness to AC Regulator and Regulator Rectifier and harness wiring from ICM to Coil and ground connection at coil.Spark is present at spark plug when grounded to the engine case/block.Running out of ideas and things i can check , do not suspect any major engine fault as in mechanical side, still has a shit load of compression, my right leg can testify to that, nothing unusual has has shown up in previous oil changes.Has done 13000 KM, guess that is about 20000 or so miles, only road use. beat head

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:10 am

Forgot to mention exhaust i have checked also for dead rats or dogs that may have crawled in and died there, does not appear to have obstruction in exhaust. What this bike does is tries to fire, but not enough to catch it with the throttle, choke on,choke off, nothing changes, head light will light up briefly when kicking. I have had this bike from new 2004 so yes i know how to start it. Sometimes will give a huge backfire from the exhaust, scared the crap out of nextdoor neighbours and their cat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 am

Welcome AJ, two bikes! Now that's a thinking man's solution! Post up some pics love to see more XR pics.

Beaver, when checking wiring always check a wires resistance to earth/ground, what I mean is make sure they are not shorted to ground when they shouldn't be. This can be tested while your testing continuity, from one end to the other of a cable, just measure the resistance to ground from one end of the cable. Wiggle and flex the cable as you do both tests because if your fault is intermittent movement might make the fault show itself. Cables in a loom that shouldn't be connected can also be tested for a fault, simply by trying to make a circuit with them and your tester at one end.

A fault can be a dead short or close to 0 ohms but it can also be a higher ohm value and that value can change. ie heat, engine running or not, movement and moisture. So understanding the numbers on your tester is another key area where people get trapped.

Back to top Go down

Hello from BROOKLYN N.Y. ! Empty Some pics of the pig pen ....

Post  Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 am

Pics..Can`t figure out how to post pics ??

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:56 am

dufasnz wrote:Welcome AJ, two bikes! Now that's a thinking man's solution! Post up some pics love to see more XR pics.

Beaver, when checking wiring always check a wires resistance to earth/ground, what I mean is make sure they are not shorted to ground when they shouldn't be. This can be tested while your testing continuity, from one end to the other of a cable, just measure the resistance to ground from one end of the cable. Wiggle and flex the cable as you do both tests because if your fault is intermittent movement might make the fault show itself. Cables in a loom that shouldn't be connected can also be tested for a fault, simply by trying to make a circuit with them and your tester at one end.

A fault can be a dead short or close to 0 ohms but it can also be a higher ohm value and that value can change. ie heat, engine running or not, movement and moisture. So understanding the numbers on your tester is another key area where people get trapped.
Yeah got that, i was only checking one end of a wire to the other end to make sure of no breaks in the middle.That will be next mission, today the cover had been put back over it.The enthusiasm to get this thing going has fallen through the floor, have had no luck with it for a year or more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:31 pm

beaver350 wrote:Forgot to mention exhaust i have checked also for dead rats or dogs that may have crawled in and died there, does not appear to have obstruction in exhaust. What this bike does is tries to fire, but not enough to catch it with the throttle, choke on,choke off, nothing changes, head light  will light up briefly when kicking. I have had this bike from new 2004 so yes i know how to start it. Sometimes will give a huge backfire from the exhaust, scared the crap out of nextdoor neighbours and their cat.

Mine does the shotgun imitation if she fails to fire after a few kicks thats normal....now this sounds silly but have you tried increasing the tick-over ? these bikes only just catch on starting and if yours is set to low it simply won't catch and keep running.....screw the throttle adjuster inwards a bit.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:27 am

I have been mindful of the TICK OVER yes but possibly have not wound in enough, i have been winding in until the piston starts to slide, give it another half a turn and use that as a start point , try a few kicks and wind in another half turn and so on. It's so long ago since it actually did run i have forgotten where the idle speed screw should be adjusted to, next round of kicking and swearing i will try winding in further to see what happens, if it does fire up i will go and play on the freeway as punishment for being an idiot. beat head Frustrated

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 am

Dont forget you can always wind it back out once she starts then set it where you like it....seen some on Youtube ticking over @ 2K when started....best to get her starting everytime then fine tune her. For a fact the tickover is a problem for these bikes if set to low as they simply wont catch as mentioned above Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 am

Yaaaaaaaaaaaa it lives banana It was the Stator/ Alternator thingy in the left side crankcase cover.Put it together, 3 kicks and ............. banana banana bow nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum