Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just dropping in to say Hi

Go down

Just dropping in to say Hi Empty Just dropping in to say Hi

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:54 am

Hi to all, just popping in to say Hi,

Just got hold of an XR650r in the Falklands, not sure on the history of it prior to arriving on these shores, its been uncorked but someone had been into the carb and put the stock jets back in for some unknown reason, you can imagine she was running a bit on the rough side.

Thankfully I found the uncorked jets in the box of spares it came with, swapped them out and unleashed a whole heap of power, it's a beast no doubt about that.

Only problem I have now is that the carb tends to overflow out the drain tube, can't get to grips with that at the moment, I've pulled it to bits again and checked the floats, blowing into the fuel inlet tube while I'm moving the floats to raise the inlet jet and it stops air flow so would think it should stop fuel flow. If anything I've got the floats set a bit low but still it leaks, any possibility of the floats snagging on anything in the float chamber, I can hear the floats moving freely when the chamber is empty. I thought I'd cured it but after a run tonight and switching it to reserve fuel by the time I'd got back to the shed it was free flowing again

Few things I'd like to do, get a lowered seat (I'm a bit short in the leg), a new set of graphics (the last ones came off in the wash) and a more substantial bash plate are priorities for me. Anyone got an email address for the parts department

That's it for now, looking forward to enjoying the ride.

Back to top Go down

Just dropping in to say Hi Empty Re: Just dropping in to say Hi

Post  Mauser Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Welcome, they can overflow if the floats are not set as per book, mine never does it but saying that it will come spring.... listen up
I would go back you the injet jet and double check it's clear and no debris is within the jet seat.....first XR in the Falklands....lol god knows how long spares will take to get there ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:42 pm

Thanks for the pointer on the floats, unfortunately I don't have a book, I'm chasing the previous owner for that. I seem to have been in the guts of carbs for as long as I remember (KLR600 was my first bike, still got that and looking to rebuild it in the near future).

I'm going back in when I get time and giving the whole system a once over again as it was a bit on the dirty side when I first opened it up, think I'll start at the tank this time though.

Would you (or anyone else) have an email address for the guys at this website http://www.xr650r.co.uk, shipping to here during this pandemic is a right pain, most reliable is the boat once a month, even DHL are using that method, but charging you express rates Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Just dropping in to say Hi Empty Welcome here!

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:14 am

Welcome! Good job getting the bike in the first place. Sorry it leaks right now. I'm even more sorry I can't help you.

Any consideration to an entirely new carb? Is that an option? If not, you may want to go ahead and get a rebuild kit and just hope it doesn't leak when you are done. I too have a Kawasaki KLR 650 (mine is a 2012) and rebuilt that carb on it. It was much harder to do than the XRR carb. This stock XR650R carb is the easiest carb I have ever worked on. Everything is usually easy when you have a DIY youtube video showing you everything step-by-step. The guy even refers to another video in it about setting the float levels and such. Here is the one I used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLdHv6jWHrg&t=2190s

Good luck and make sure to let us know how you fixed it when you get it fixed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:22 am

XR650RFLK wrote:
Would you (or anyone else) have an email address for the guys at this website http://www.xr650r.co.uk, shipping to here during this pandemic is a right pain, most reliable is the boat once a month, even DHL are using that method, but charging you express rates Very Happy
We don't offer email support any more due to vast amounts of spam, best bet is to call us on the number on the website....Paul's a good friend and should be able to help you, please check times before calling as some people call him at 4 in the morning which isn't good.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Just dropping in to say Hi Empty quick update

Post  Guest Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:15 pm

Found an issue with the fuel tap, the pipe inside is rotten along with the filter too, so I'm guessing bits were getting into the float valve assembly and stopping it closing properly, hence the overflowing carb.

Just need to find a replacement now, quick look locally to see if there is anything similar otherwise its on the phone to the guys at xr650r.co.uk

Just dropping in to say Hi 20210210

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:28 am

Here you go...
16952KCY671 SCREEN SET, FUEL STRAINER
It's a replacement item.....
https://nutjob.ie/genuine-honda-xr650r-2004-fuel-strainer-screen-set-part-2-16952kcy671-2255696/
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Just dropping in to say Hi Empty Good!

Post  Guest Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Good job finding the issue and good job finding the solution too. That is what this forum is all about!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum