Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my airbox modification for a desert ride

Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty my airbox modification for a desert ride

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:02 pm

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1836

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1837

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1838

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1841

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1842

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1843

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1844

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1845

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1846

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1847

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1848

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1849

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1850

my airbox modification for a desert ride IMG_1851

Back to top Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty Very much positively impressed

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Excellent work. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty Re: my airbox modification for a desert ride

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 pm

That is sweet 2 thumbs nice fab work!

Back to top Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty Re: my airbox modification for a desert ride

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Well done! No sand is getting through there!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 am

Thats a nice set up there.

Back to top Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty Hey Andrea

Post  Guest Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 pm

Any pictures of it on the bike yet?

Nice work!

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:06 pm

I like your fabbing...And your post style rocks...No words!

What kind of material did you use?

Was it cut by sharks with frick'in laser beams on their heads?

Nice job. BRP smile
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:32 pm

sorry fo the delay
the material is stainless steel, cut by laser beam.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:12 pm

I made something simular so I can use modded CRF sidepanels.

my airbox modification for a desert ride Afbeelding118

Back to top Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty Rock through the backside

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:12 am

Those mods above look great. I have heard somewhere that a rock can sometimes get thrown through the back of the box by the tire. I have heard of debri making its way into the engine and grenading it. If you take your finger and sort of tap on the airbox back there it feels fragile and I bet a rock could get tossed through it.It makes me nervous and I have been thinking of taking some sheet aluminum and making a plate to protect the airbox. Anyone heard anything about that before? -Matt

Back to top Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty I know a guy it happened to

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:44 am

He's a friend of a mechanic I know in Petaluma. It happened about 60 miles or so from the end of the 1000. And it was a brand new engine. Exactly what you said. A rock was thrown into the air box cover there. Since I heard about it I have been thinking of a guard as well. There seem to me to be two problems to address. It needs to absorb the energy and it needs to stop the projectile. My think at this point is to glue about a 1/4 inch of inner tube to the back of the Ti plate: http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-titanium-sidestand-plate.html Then glue or velcro or somehow attach the rubber side to the area of unprotected airbox.

The Ti plate is flat but it's only $15 so it's cheap. Perhaps just epoxying on some rubber will work better though. I'll ask what they did with the Team bikes... No use reinventing the wheel here.

Matthendurocat wrote:Those mods above look great. I have heard somewhere that a rock can sometimes get thrown through the back of the box by the tire. I have heard of debri making its way into the engine and grenading it. If you take your finger and sort of tap on the airbox back there it feels fragile and I bet a rock could get tossed through it.It makes me nervous and I have been thinking of taking some sheet aluminum and making a plate to protect the airbox. Anyone heard anything about that before? -Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I like the airbox filter bracket, do you plan to make more and sell them? Looks like a good thing there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:03 pm

no sorry, I don't think to make it anymore...

Back to top Go down

my airbox modification for a desert ride Empty Hey Bump,

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:06 am

How about glueing on a sheet of kevlar? You said air box cover, I dont know if you know what I mean. I mean the surface of the air box directly forward and above the tire. Right? -Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down