Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers...

Go down

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... Empty FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers...

Post  Guest Thu May 14, 2009 6:56 pm

A friend found this on Advrider - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458522

"Went riding with a friend yesterday.

Late in the day when we were tired and had had enough fun I got us stuck in a bowl trying to find the exit. I got out but my buddy who chose this day to debut on sand didn’t, so I was going to ride his bike out. Unfortunately, this was when his battery decided it had had enough.

So, worst case scenario just became reality. Pushing or pulling is not an option at all. We didn’t have jumper cables. I knew that if I went to look I might be able to find a 4x4 to beg a helping hand but I had another plan I was keen to try before we called the 4x4’s

I often ride in the dunes and this very scenario had crossed my mind often. What to do?

Well, I found this works really well;

You need to get both bikes onto their centre stands without the rear on the ground. Pretty tricky in deep sand. So, find anything solid to put under the dead bikes centre stand. You need to almost lie the bike over to get something under the one side, then once that’s done, tip the bike onto the other side and put another solid what ever under the other leg.

Then ride the good bike so that you are near enough to being able to get the rear tires to touch with both bikes facing away from each other. Bum to bum

Now the hard part, you need to get the good bike up on its centre stand too, also getting something solid under there. We used sticks. Try to get the knobs of the one tire to touch the others. We had them almost side by side so that the side knobs were interlocking.

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... 523155216_MRqac-L

Then turn the dead bike on (kill switch too), get it into second gear pull in the clutch. Start the good bike, into first gear and let out the clutch slowly.

The good bikes rear will spin up the dead bikes rear within a few seconds. The dead bikes rider then dumps his clutch and hey presto!

We’re outa here!"

Back to top Go down

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... Empty FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers...

Post  Guest Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:26 pm

I would NOT have thought of that.................

Al

www.xt500.co.za

Back to top Go down

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... Empty Re: FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers...

Post  Focker Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm

Al wrote:I would NOT have thought of that.................

Al
With a kickstart you don't need to. BRP smile

Now who hates kicking their Pig?
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... Empty Re: FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers...

Post  Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:27 am

I love to kick my pig!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... Empty The guy who posted that in adv rider .......

Post  Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:04 am

that rider just copied what was said in another thread on that site a week before,he just got hold of it and made a story of it.....then got on u tube with it FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... 242585 FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... 242585 FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... 242585 FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... 242585 FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... 242585

Back to top Go down

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... Empty Well...

Post  Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:52 pm

It ain't exactly the Theory of Relativity. So perhaps people in many places will have the same idea at the same time. Or perhaps both these gents had the same inspiration. Thinking is often seeing something one place and imagining some other place you could apply it to some other thing.

Back to top Go down

FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... Empty either way

Post  Guest Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:46 am

Sometimes it takes using our noggin for more than a helmet stand... FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers... 12226 very creative.

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:14 am

giantpiggy wrote:that rider just copied what was said in another thread on that site a week before,he just got hold of it and made a story of it.....then got on u tube with it
Didn't we all at one time as kids turn our bicycles over (on their seat and handle bars) and spin our friend's bike tire with our tire?

I know I did...I've seen my kids and their friends doing it with no previous knowledge of it's existence.

One thing we didn't do was this.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down