Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range

Go down

help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range Empty help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range

Post  Guest Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:18 pm

My uncorked xxr sputters when it enters 1/2 throttle or more in every gear, idles and drives well under low loads on engine. The carb is cleaned, air filter clean, new plug (though old one was very charred), plug cap fine, still sputters.

help beat head

Back to top Go down

help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range Empty Re: help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range

Post  Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:14 am

Newfoundland = Sea level ???

Maybe go a bit richer on the needle and main jetting......

What are the current jet specs?

Back to top Go down

help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range Empty How about........

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Have you adjusted the valves? How about the timing? Does fuel flow freely from tank? How's your valve spring tension? Has you spark arestor been cleaned? Muffler packing in good condition? Is your vent tube on your gas cap pinched or pluged?

Back to top Go down

help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range Empty What do you mean by "old one charred?"

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Spark plug science is a wizardry thing IMHO. You're supposed to read the plug down at the base of the hole. So all the way down inside the hole that the electrode comes out of. Make sense?

From what you've said I'd guess low fuel flow. Does it do the same thing when you are sitting still in neutral and winding it up? Could be electrical too. Higher RPM means higher vibration. You could have a connectivity problem somewhere or even have something electric failing at higher vibration.

You could drill out the float bowl bolt and glue a neodymium magnet in the base and then see what kind of crap is in the fuel you're buying.

Let us know more ...

Back to top Go down

help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range Empty Re: help my xr650r sputters in higher rpm range

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down