Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HRC Kit

Go down

HRC Kit Empty HRC Kit

Post  Guest Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Anyone running one? Big power difference? Able to run 91 Octane pump gas with the higher compression? What's the pull on the clutch like with the heavy-duty springs? Is there a fair amount of extended life out of the cam chain compared to stock?

Since they're getting pretty scarce on the market, I'd like to get some feedback and see if it would be worth tracking a kit down before they're unavailable.

I welcome any input.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

HRC Kit Empty some answers

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:51 am

RallyMoto wrote:Anyone running one? Big power difference?
Yes, there are three pieces. The cam, the piston and the head porting. The power increase of each is about the same. And each increase is significant.

Able to run 91 Octane pump gas with the higher compression?
No, you'll have to run race gas. Av gas is too dry. Smartest thing to do is have the piston milled, I have the specs somewhere or can refer you to the shop that did it for Team Honda, and then you run pump gas premium, and can run Pemex.

What's the pull on the clutch like with the heavy-duty springs?
A little more. IMHO, not necessary unless you are very aggressive and ride the clutch a lot.

Is there a fair amount of extended life out of the cam chain compared to stock?
Yes, the HRC chain is much better. And there is some other cam stuff too. It's all very good and a significant improvement. They pop up used from time to time. It's a lot cheaper to buy the whole kit than to piecemeal it out.

Since they're getting pretty scarce on the market, I'd like to get some feedback and see if it would be worth tracking a kit down before they're unavailable.
I'd like to set a couple aside myself. You should measure the stock chain when you have it apart.

I have an extra HRC piston that isn't milled. It came out of the works box in the team shop. Was used for some dyno runs only. The Team never ran the piston unmilled. And they only used the HRC piston in a few hi-dezs races. You hear a lot of rumors about why. I was told first-hand by the team that the bike tended to come out from under the riders with the HRC piston unmilled. I sorta call the two setups the low-dez bike and the hi-dez bike.

I hope that helps.

I welcome any input.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

HRC Kit Empty Re: HRC Kit

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:36 am

Hard to believe the kit will become unavailable, I can't see that happening.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:33 pm

My bikes got 30,000 miles, the last 28,000 with the HRC kit. Dyno runs in '01 showed a 10% power increase, from 48 to 53 hp at the wheel. http://borynack.com/XR650R/dynocharts.htm has my Dyno, near the bottom.
Lowest octane here in the UK is 95, runs fine but can't say about lower octane stuff.

The clutch spring heaviness wasn't noticable. Biggest change I noticed a few years ago was putting a new cable on. Cam chain and gears are slightly wider, probably a belt-and-braces insurance by HRC.

Have a look through the XR650R group on YahooGroups http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/, where was a fair bit of discussion about the HRC kits in the early 00's

The kit was £1000 (probably about the same in Dollars), would like to know how much they are now.

Cheers,
Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be trying to track a kit down, though I see XR's Only no longer even carries them.

If anyone knows of a source in the U.S., I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

HRC Kit Empty Tokyomods HRC Kit

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:08 pm

RallyMoto wrote:Thanks guys, looks like I'll be trying to track a kit down, though I see XR's Only no longer even carries them.

Thanks

They do seem harder to find, but here's one..............

Tokyomods - San Juan Capistrano, CA

http://www.tokyomods.com/honda/2000-2007%20XR650R.html#HRC

# 888-457-9403
sales@tokyomods.com

Good luck RallyMoto...... HRC Kit 392435

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:54 pm

Backwoods Boogie wrote:
RallyMoto wrote:Thanks guys, looks like I'll be trying to track a kit down, though I see XR's Only no longer even carries them.

Thanks

They do seem harder to find, but here's one..............

Tokyomods - San Juan Capistrano, CA

http://www.tokyomods.com/honda/2000-2007%20XR650R.html#HRC

# 888-457-9403
sales@tokyomods.com

Good luck RallyMoto...... HRC Kit 392435

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Hey Bump, if you have the those specs for the piston mill, I'd appreciate it.

Back to top Go down

HRC Kit Empty I spoke with Diane Bell recently about this very thing

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:59 pm

She told me that Honda will stop making new batches when demand stops. And demand for stuff on this bike ain't exactly peaking...

You can always get all that stuff from Precision Concepts.

Matthendurocat wrote:Hard to believe the kit will become unavailable, I can't see that happening.

Back to top Go down

HRC Kit Empty Are you sure?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Is it they no longer carry them or they no longer advertise them on their web site? I know a guy who just bought one from them. Anyone can get them who can buy parts from Honda. But I usually use Precision Concepts. That way they don't balk when I call up with a lot of questions... HRC Kit 295806

Thanks

Back to top Go down

HRC Kit Empty I'll look for it

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:03 pm

We just moved and everything is boxed up for moving still. If I can't find it in a week then I will send you the name of the guy who did it for me. It was $50 for the machine work by the same shop Team Honda uses. Plus shipping unless you are in So Cal and want to spend more on driving.

RallyMoto wrote:Hey Bump, if you have the those specs for the piston mill, I'd appreciate it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum