Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!!

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:18 pm

2001 XRR, Chain snapped around 45 mph and smashed the left engine casing, the clutch swivel area took the brunt of it and pours oil out!!!
Where can I find a pair of good engine casings, Ive checked ebay, there's a 650L casings but I doubt that they will fit..
Any ideas guys???????????????????????????????
Phil.

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty If you need used...

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:55 pm

And you aren't finding anything on fleabay then I suggest posting WTB ads on TT and Advposer and the Yahoo group.

This is a giant whack and I'm sorry it's happened to you.

Personally, I just saw some cases somewhere for sale but I can't recall where. Check the Completed Listings part of fleabay for stuff that didn't sell. I just checked and there's none there.

Frankly, you're kinda screwed. You need to take a deep breath and try to come up with some creative options. Like buying a whole bike that is screwed in some other way and parting it out. I saw a whole bike go for $1200 that had a hole in the head a year or two ago for example. By the teim you parted it out you'd break even or make a few dollars.

Just for the sake of our thread about chains that Dave started, where did the chain come apart?

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty Re: HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!!

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:33 pm

I bought the bike about 2 months ago and the owner had replaced the chain with a new one and even wired it to on the soft link to stop it coming off (added protection)
Dealer advises that they sell the cases separately, so in effect I only need the left one.
They advised that if I take the engine out and drop it off to them the bill would be close to $800 (oooooooooooooooooooouch)
What pisses me off, I just paid $5K for it and put in $500, i don't seem to have any luck!
I will continue to search the web for a case.................

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty Re: HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!!

Post  Focker Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:01 am

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Useless
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 am

Pictures of a smashed case! use your imagination!

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:40 am

feelergaugephil wrote:Pictures of a smashed case! use your imagination!
It'd be a great visual for those who are to cheap to invest in case savers....Besides Imaginations are for those who play with My Little Pony's...No offense. Wink
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:20 am

I broke a chain on the xr and was lucky enough to have a case saver,'xrs only' brand,without it would of smashed the engine caseings for sure,very good investment for a piggy,hope your repair goes ok.

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty Stocker works great too

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:59 am

You can run the stocker too. If you run a larger sprocket then just grind the inside of the OEM saver a little. That's what the Team did.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:40 am

Phil:

Man, that's a bummer!

What does a left side cost? Something like $400? It might be worth it....

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:16 am

Dave P wrote:Phil:
Man, that's a bummer!
What does a left side cost? Something like $400? It might be worth it....
Dave
My best friend is the manager of the local Honda dealer shop, he has helped me get a new one at cost,,,,,,, still around $300.
Will post pics of my poorly XR tomorrow then.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:44 am

Three hundred ain't too bad. The timing seems to be the most brutal aspect.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:07 am

Going to order it Tuesday and gaskets, Is there anything in particular I need to look out for when I strip the motor?????
Ive stripped and rebuilt dozens of engines, mainly big 4 cylinders, not really touched a single before!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:07 am

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! XR650005

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! XR650001

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! XR650003

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 am

Brutal...Good thing you didn't get hurt.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty Do you know where the chain came apart?

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:57 pm

What failed?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:07 am

No idea, We couldn't find the chain along the road!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:22 am

Well, my best friend is the manager of the local Yamaha dealers, and he's allowing me to do the work there with the top mechanic.
So, we opened the motor today and found EVERYTHING within the motor NEW!!!, Crank, all bearings, gears, clutch, I couldn't believe it!
The last owner told me he spent $3K on the motor, but this proves that he was telling the truth!
The new left case came with NO bearings! so I have just ordered them, don't want to damage the ones in the old case and put them in the new case.
Should be up and running within 3 weeks!!!!!

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty A bit of a silver lining...

Post  Guest Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm glad there is a bright spot for your in this fiasco.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:49 pm

Why did this chain crack your case? DId you not have a stock case saver on the bike? Or did it destroy your stock case saver?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Michelangelo wrote:Why did this chain crack your case? DId you not have a stock case saver on the bike? Or did it destroy your stock case saver?
Stock case saver, utterly destroyed it, no idea why the chain came apart, it was fairly new!

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty condolences bro

Post  Guest Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:22 am

That sucks man. I cant believe you couldnt find the chain! I would go back and look for it so I could find out what the hell happened. Good luck. -Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Was the chain staked or did it have a clip?

Back to top Go down

HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Empty Something is amiss here

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:02 am

The OEM casesaver should have been plenty. It's all the team every used.

Were you running a larger gear up front? Perhaps the saver had already been hurt before you got the bike.

In any case I hate your misfortune.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:48 pm

I helped my CRF riding friend change his tyres(tires) Saturday and I pointed out he did not have his OEM case saver on.
We went out riding Sunday and built up some speed on tarmac heading for fuel. His chain broke with a really loud bang.
Thanks to this thread he had refitted his OEM case saver Saturday night.
New split link fitted and we were off again. HELP! Chain snapped,,,,,Engine casing!!!!! Icon_cool
He'll obviously need to buy a new chain and sprockets.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 pm

The BRP was not designed to run a master link with a split retainer. The torque this bike produces requires a staked master link.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next