Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual Sport wire harness

Go down

Dual Sport wire harness Empty Dual Sport wire harness

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:26 pm

OK, I've been on the ADV rider forum trying to figure out what people want for a dual sport wire harness, and got a little input. My goal is to make some money on the side, not do this as a full time job so I can keep prices down but the quality up and not stock much. Heres what I've been working on for my little piggy and maybe a few other peoples in the future.

The harness will have color coded wiring for everything to keep troubleshooting simple. All ends will be terminated correctly, OEM style bullets for turnsignals, and a nine pin connector prewired for a K&S 12-0040 switchblock.

Current plans are:

It will be set up for a dual output stator, on the AC side it will run the headlight, tail light and brake light. On the DC side it will run everything else. Turnsignals, cooling fan, Speedo, and horn.

Parts required for completion would be:
Fuseblock I would recommend the FZ-1 from Fuzeblocks.com or a block from Farkleshop.com (the smallest requires a external relay to turn it on and off, the small one on the block its self is for a high current accessory.

Switches, for fan and master power I recommend form highway dirtbikes.
Control 12-0040 from K&S tech
Reg/rectifier from Baja designs.
Turnsignal relay again BD
and a Battery, I built mine out of sub-C cells and have it mounted in my airbox, but BD makes a smaller one that will fit under the seat.

This is how my pig is set up right now and the harness will be professional (I'm an aircraft mechanic). I am looking for input, its difficult to design a one size fits all harness that will keep everyone happy but I'm going to try. Instructions will come with the harness as will pictures for ideas on where to mount things for a clean install. I hope to have some pictures up as soon as I get my mounting bracket made up for the fuse block.

Be honest here, I'm trying to support my riding. How many actually have fuses on their bike? How many run Acewell speedos vs Trail tech?

Back to top Go down

Dual Sport wire harness Empty Re: Dual Sport wire harness

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm

I don't get on here much and I just saw your post. I was wanting to to the same thing your talking about. What did you end up doing? I would be very interested in your wiring harness. Let me know. send a PM or email through this board.

Thanks,

Paul

Back to top Go down

Dual Sport wire harness Empty Do you have any made up yet ?

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 am

I would be interested as well , for my baja rewound , baja ds kitted , hot grip havin , ktm fanned , gps mounted , horrible spaggetti mess of wiring that I have .

help !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:14 am

Sorry, I haven't been on here much, just finished up a project Honda CB-1 and traded it for a project Nissan 240sx. I emailed you back Desert, I need as much detail about your bikes current electrical setup as possible including location of any accesories.

950, your farkle collection is pretty extensive. Is your stator set up as a solid 200watt DC or 100w AC and 100w DC also where is your battery and what is its capacity. Pictures of component placement are good to to give me an idea of what I am up against. The main issue I'm still trying to figure out is for where to put a fuse box. Mine is behind the headlight panel along with my turn signal relay Future ones I may save some dollars and use some inline fuses that can go under the seat with an on/off relay to protect the main power switch.

I'll send both of you my email in a pm so I can get some pics of your current setups.

Will also try to get some pics up of mine, and the harness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:13 pm

As a witness to pwrtrippin's setup it is professional and top notch, I wish I would of had him just do my bike instead of the $500 I spent on the electrosport kit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:49 am

950transalp wrote:I would be interested as well , for my baja rewound , baja ds kitted , hot grip havin , ktm fanned , gps mounted , horrible spaghetti mess of wiring that I have .

help !

If the snow melts a bit I will take pics of my horrible but functional wiring , just covered 13,000 miles with my hot grips / gps / etc working ,

Back to top Go down

Dual Sport wire harness Empty How is this effort going?

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 am

i'm planning on rewiring my bike at some point. My father was also an aircraft electrician. And I grew up in So Cal race boat culture so I have an appreciation for that style. I like the fuseblocks you mention. I bought a carbon fiber fly box to mount it all in.

You might also offer the option of doing the bike for someone. There's a guy in LA here (OC I think) who specializes in that for more popular scoots like the CRFXs. I have his contact info somewhere and will look for it.

I'd say the TT is more popular at this point but with BD pushing the Acewell stuff that might change. I know the Trailtech stuff isn't seen as well-thought-out by many/most down here. The lights are particularly silly looking is the general observation I hear most.

Sorry I missed this when first posted.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Haven't really done much on it lately, wasn't seeing much interest and was working on some other projects like my wifes nt650. After finding a new vendor with a much smaller fuse block I may redesign the current harness on my bike again for more simplicity, I'm looking for local supplier for the fuse block something like http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 pm

so far i just have the baja designs harness plugged in to the stock harness.

i've got a 200w ricky stator with a cabled up a battery under the seat going to two 100w dc regs.

so far i'm just running lights, but plan to add more stuff later.

i just have the trailtech endurance speedo, but will upgrade this year to something more reliable.

i've found that trailtechs assembly is very shoddy since being assembled in china.

first couple rides out it died, so i opened it up and found that the crystal fell off due to dry solder joints.

ended up touching up everything, but since it's a glob top circuit, only the passive components could be touched up.

after all this, it still sucks.

the tracking of the speed fluctuates so much that you have to get lucking to see how fast you're actually going.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Jeff,

Interesting post, especially considering that someone who opens up a Trailtech and fixes components at pcb-level must know what he's talking about - got a scope too maybe? Because that erratic speedo seems to point at a shoddy pickup signal, but surely you also know that too big a gap between magnet & coil will cause this. Measure this maybe? A simple screen will tell you instantly.
Contrary to you I was helluva impressed with my Vapor, and still am - but mind, not yet working on the bike because I'm busy with drastic electrical changes at the moment. Note too that I've not had a reason yet to open it to check the pcb, and neither have I heard of inherent problems with these units.

If others have - pls share here? Would not mind to know of any typical problems, especially when they're curable.

On the fusebox-subject: if anyone knows of a really tiny (like in genuinely teeny-weeny) fusebox or -holder I'd like to know about it. The one's I've found on the net are too big for my purpose as I already have a space problem.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:30 pm

I hope to have some small waterproof 3 fuse blade holders in the near future I think they are approx 2.5" x 3/4" x 3"

I didn't like the size of the display on my Vapor, also my tach was everywhere when I had it on my nt650. Tried the Acewell computer and other than it needs a DC power source the speedo readout is larger, doesn't jump around as much, and I felt the blue back lighting was much nicer when riding out at night. Also the speedo pickup can be done either with a magnetic pick up or a Hall effect unit mounted to the speedo drive.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 pm

burp,

it used to pick up fine, but throughout the years it's gotten sporadic. i've cleaned the coil and magnet multiple times with no luck, but i'll double check the coil sensor gap to make sure it hasn't shifted out.

thanks for your half hearted sarcastic post though. asking for it

as far as your fuse box issue...use a mini atm in line holders.

also if you like glass, you can use the in line glass holders.

fuse boxes are cumbersome, so perhaps putting in line fuse holders would help because you can have more freedom as to where the fuses get laid down.

but if you're looking for a one site option, then your choices are few unless you make your own.

i'm sure you've already looked, but here's just one mini atm site:

www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=615&subgroupId=12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:50 am

Jeff,

zero sarcasm intended, just tried to be clear for also those not so handy inclined. Years? Can't be that bad a thing then.
Yeah, in-line can do, but I regard that as my last option, as accessibility will be compromised if I put them there where their vulnerability is least - and mind I got (need!) a large tank. A wee box mounted on the airbox is what I want, and sorry Trippin, the one you mention I regard as HUGE, got a smaller one already - but want smaller still.
I may have to go the DIY-route as I will mount dual reg/rec't + the ignition module + a led-indicator relay there where currently only 2 units reside, read: cramped. A small NiCad-pack will have to go somewhere too, so a minute 3 or 4-way fusebox (pref. separate circuits) would come in handy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:02 am

ya, unfortunately years. i've pretty much given up on it. it resets itself frequently now and the battery is fine...so obviously it has issues. it's been too long for warranty so i've pretty much written it off. i'll have to get something else later. i have no problem riding around worrying about how fast i'm going.

i put in a sealed lead battery from radio shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103438

that fits snuggly without mods under the seat:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ompBBEjqgCY/TPWSc_aoO9I/AAAAAAAAAEM/ZSaIAJvkRWU/s512/XR%20Battery%20II.jpg

i'm using two in line fuses, but then again i only have two lines.

anyhow...if you move your cdi towards the tank, there's room for the battery against the cross bracket to the subframe.

the battery fits perfectly width wise and is held in place with a zip tie and the seat.

the two regs i mounted on the right side towards the front of the side panel.

plenty of juice to run lights without motor in a pinch, and the lights don't dim under idle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 14, 2011 11:44 pm

I wonder what did happen with this project? Any new news about this? Just got mine BRP yesterday and at some point I am going to need this wiring, it would be nice if it is done. please let me know.
Thanks,

BM

pwrtrippin wrote:I hope to have some small waterproof 3 fuse blade holders in the near future I think they are approx 2.5" x 3/4" x 3"

I didn't like the size of the display on my Vapor, also my tach was everywhere when I had it on my nt650. Tried the Acewell computer and other than it needs a DC power source the speedo readout is larger, doesn't jump around as much, and I felt the blue back lighting was much nicer when riding out at night. Also the speedo pickup can be done either with a magnetic pick up or a Hall effect unit mounted to the speedo drive.

Back to top Go down

Dual Sport wire harness Empty I'm interested in buying...

Post  Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:30 pm

My '01 XRR is stock. I'll be adding a BD dualsport kit with plans to add GPS, so a custom power harness would be nice.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down