Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Many Disks?

Go down

How Many Disks? Empty How Many Disks?

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:50 am

I just picked up a 2005 XR650R that came with a SuperTrap tuneable exhaust. The exhaust is currently running 12 disks. Before I tackle the carburetor I want to determine how many disks I should be running?

The bike currently bogs when I wack the throttle and pops when I decelerate. I realize that I may need to do some rejetting but just want to find out how many disks others are running, if anyone else is running the SuperTrap. From what I have read the less disks - the quieter the exhaust, and the richer it runs. (?)

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

How Many Disks? Empty Sorry

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:55 pm

But I don't know anyone running a Supertrapp. You might try the larger forums on this.

Coastie3202 wrote:I just picked up a 2005 XR650R that came with a SuperTrap tuneable exhaust. The exhaust is currently running 12 disks. Before I tackle the carburetor I want to determine how many disks I should be running?

The bike currently bogs when I wack the throttle and pops when I decelerate. I realize that I may need to do some rejetting but just want to find out how many disks others are running, if anyone else is running the SuperTrap. From what I have read the less disks - the quieter the exhaust, and the richer it runs. (?)

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

How Many Disks? Empty Re: How Many Disks?

Post  Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:13 am

Hey Coastie,got a 2000 with a trapp.I've got 12 disc and the power up kit.Dont know wut size jets are in it but it runsssssss real stong!I would start in the carb.Sounds on the lean side,gotta read the plug.Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:16 am

i'm sorry ,less disc richer correct.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Coastie,

you say it pops on overrun, which can be a couple of things.
I sure hope you've got the Smog system OFF it? If not do so, it doesn't do any good. Block it all, and don't forget the vacuum nipple! And take it off too instead of just disconnecting it, as it partly blocks-off your RH radiator's exit side.
Also, you might have an airleak somewhere in the exhaust, where the header becomes muffler for instance. If so try sealing it with a thin smear of normal sillicone.
If you've got the normal carb you need to do another small mod. On the LHS you'll find a small cover behind which a springloaded diaphragm lives. In that small cover there's a small hole which you'll see when you take it off. This is a small duct leading the engine-vacuum to one side of the diaphragm - and this hole you best block off. I've done this by putting a small droplet of epoxy glue in it - and let it cure fully before you put it back eh? ;-)
When it's working this system causes a leaner mixture on overrun, done for emissions of course, but also it causes a lesser engine braking effect as well as possible popping when there's a small leak somewhere - and there's always some leak.
More importantly, when 'cured' as per above it will not lean out anymore, and this might mean for you a notch better pickup from closed throttle? Oh, and 'whacking' aint good, this is not a pumper carb, so a bit less hasty/suddenly will cure your problem probably.

Also you say you just picked it up - from a chap living at a different altitude maybe? If so you'll need to re-jet. Search a bit, there's plenty of info with tables that give you a good indication where to begin.
As for your exhaust: sorry, the louder the better for me, power ditto then, and I dunno of any that with adding stuff become louder?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down