Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2000 xr 650r Head light & Tail light not functioning

Go down

2000 xr 650r Head light & Tail light not functioning Empty 2000 xr 650r Head light & Tail light not functioning

Post  Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am

I have a 2000 xr 650r with a baja light kit. I just bought it ( The Bike}. I had to do some work to the kit to get the turn signals and the horn working. I cant get the tail light or the head light working for some reason. I belive they run off the stator. Any ideas where to start. I have changed the bulbs and have gotten no where. BRP smile

Back to top Go down

2000 xr 650r Head light & Tail light not functioning Empty Re: 2000 xr 650r Head light & Tail light not functioning

Post  Focker Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:11 pm

How long have you ran the bike? Take it for a ride see if the status changes.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

2000 xr 650r Head light & Tail light not functioning Empty Re: 2000 xr 650r Head light & Tail light not functioning

Post  Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:09 pm

I have put about a hundred kilometers on it. What do you think that would accomlish. I am a bit of a tard when it comes to the electical part of the pig because I have always had off road two strokes. I am just wondering your train of thought so that I may learn a little more about this bike. Thanks for your reply Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Electrical diagnoses isn't my strong point by any means.

I vaguely remember my light not working until the Baja Designs battery pack was charged up from riding. Not really sure...Just seems that's what I remember.

Bad ground wires/connections are also a common culprit. Use a wire and run a separate ground to a good spot on the bike and see if that helps. Assuming "of course" you know for sure power is making it to the socket.

This is where the smart guys need to chime in. BRP smile
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:21 am

Jamiep,

I dunno the BD-kit or baja light kit, but you say you think the lights run off the stator (which would be AC then) whilst Focker hints at a battery (which would be DC).
Measure with a multimeter? Set to DC you'll see an eratic low indication only on an AC feed, whilst the other way around you also see a low value (the ripple). But flick the switch to&fro whilst measuring, and you'll see proper values suddenly. This will tell you if you're measuring AC or DC.
Under the seat you must find some kind of regulator, a small block with some cooling ribs - measure here? This will tell you what you've got, a Regulator (regulating/limiting an AC-voltage) or a Rectifier/Regulator, the latter taking the AC from the stator and turning it into rectified & regulated DC.
Follow/trace the wires and see what's fed by DC, ditto for the AC (if you've got both), and diagnose from there.
Indicators tend to run off DC, for reason the blinker-relay won't work with AC (very few exceptions exist, quite uncommon).
If (I dunno) you've got a battery somewhere check if it gets fed DC, and regulated too at that (~14VDC max). If this is the case but the flickers won't work with engine off then the battery is suspect, have it checked out by someone who can tell you yay or nay. But, if the headlight(s) run off AC then the battery will not affect this function, and you should find the "open" bit in the circuit (burnt globe, loose contact, broken wire etc), and don't forget to trace the ground (normally the frame) or the return-leads (AC) too.
Just some work to do - and yes, you must have a multimeter for this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down