Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my first BRP

Go down

my first BRP Empty my first BRP

Post  Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Howdy, Eric here.. Columbus, OH native.

I inherited my 2002 BRP from my late brother who passed Dec 4, 2011 who lived in northern california. This May, i drove from Columbus all the way to Redding, CA to pick up his bike. The only possession he had. He died with only $13 and a BRP to his name, but was truly happy.
my first BRP 479715_3794260769144_1222686842_n

I'm trying to get the bike titled here in Ohio, but having a lot of difficulty as my brother didn't have the title in his belongings. The state of California has been pretty much not helpful lol they said I need to find out who its titled to and get the title from them. I've since put new tires on her, gave her a bath, new air filter, oil change, had my mechanic re-jet it and it runs top notch! I put a trail-tech speedo on it, the only thing left to do is make her titled.

Has anyone had to do this before? any tips? ideas?

Back to top Go down

my first BRP Empty Re: my first BRP

Post  Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 am

ride it with pride,,,, srry, no help on the title

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 am

esarakaitis wrote:Howdy, Eric here.. Columbus, OH native.

I inherited my 2002 BRP from my late brother who passed Dec 4, 2011 who lived in northern california. This May, i drove from Columbus all the way to Redding, CA to pick up his bike. The only possession he had. He died with only $13 and a BRP to his name, but was truly happy.
my first BRP 479715_3794260769144_1222686842_n

I'm trying to get the bike titled here in Ohio, but having a lot of difficulty as my brother didn't have the title in his belongings. The state of California has been pretty much not helpful lol they said I need to find out who its titled to and get the title from them. I've since put new tires on her, gave her a bath, new air filter, oil change, had my mechanic re-jet it and it runs top notch! I put a trail-tech speedo on it, the only thing left to do is make her titled.

Has anyone had to do this before? any tips? ideas?

I'll be at the Ca DMV tomorrow in Sac Ca, I will ask them what to do in your situation, I will let you know what they say. Maybe a vin or your brothers offroad lic sticker # would be a good place to start. They may issue another title if you can articulate your situation. Sorry to hear about your brother, looks like he had great taste in bikes.

Troop

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm

I gave them the VIN, they said it came up as not stolen. But would not provide registration information.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss.
If you can get a copy of the cert of death then take it to a Registration-title service, We just went through this with my father in law. He was in Kulifornia. We did a car and a truck w/not much hassle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:09 am

thats provided that the title of the vehicles were in his name im guessing.

I dont know who has the title, or whos name it is in. That being said, the state of ohio wont do anything.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 am

esarakaitis wrote:thats provided that the title of the vehicles were in his name im guessing.

I dont know who has the title, or whos name it is in. That being said, the state of ohio wont do anything.

ask for an "abandon vehicle" application.. it works here in montana.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 am

Hi, stupid here,

wanting to know what 'titling' is? If I read correct this is a different thing than registration (a numberplate) hence I'm lost.... but would like to know?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 pm

The title is proof of ownership, then they gank you for registration. My title fee are $21.00 usd, my registration for off road permit tag is $57.00. And I was told I cant ever register it as street legal. shrug

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:38 am

Very sorry for your loss.

esarakaitis wrote:I dont know who has the title, or whos name it is in. That being said, the state of ohio wont do anything.
Are you planning on riding on the street? If not...Why worry about a title?

Other ideas:
1) I have a contact within the Police force and they have ran VIN's for me before...Last legal owner revealed.
2) Not to sound unethical but...Produce a bill of sale and see if the DMV will release the name of the last known owner. This has worked for me...I bought a vehicle without a title but had a B.O.S. and the DMV gave me the P.O.'s name. Once you find out who the P.O. is...See if they will work with you by releasing their interest in the vehicle and sign it over to you. Again this has worked for me without issues.
3) If the P.O. is deceased...Then apply for registration and after a waiting period (3 years in my state) you can receive the title in your name. The waiting period is to see if the vehicle is stolen etc. or if the P.O. comes forward to reclaim it. In your case that's impossible and it will be yours (please excuse my being blunt). Of course Ohio may have different laws regarding this.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:11 pm

no progress yet, DMV wont tell me who the rightful owner is so I can contact about title.

still digging...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum