Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OPERATION: Winter Rebuild

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OPERATION: Winter Rebuild - Page 2 Empty Re: OPERATION: Winter Rebuild

Post  Guest Wed May 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:BIKE looks good ,
Are you happy with the LEOVince exhaust ?

It's what came with the bike when I purchased it so I really don't have a comparison. It's labeled as "white brothers" but they sold out right? It's a little loud for my taste but I've not had any issues with it. Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I thought my bike was just about done except for the oil change I needed to give it. Boy was I wrong!! I took it out for a couple of short shake down rides and the bike developed a "sputter" It sounded like it needed a valve adjustment so I happily obliged. It didn't help so I decided to seek professional help. I'm thinking timing chain but wish me luck! Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 25, 2013 9:03 pm

Good luck Bananatool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:14 am

Luck was not with me... Looks like top end rebuild time... Piston and rings, valves, valve seats, cam, cam chain, rocker arms. When the mechanic opened up my bike he said there was probably only a quart of oil inside. It was checked before operation winter rebuild engine was never tampered with so when I went to test the bike after the rebuild I took for granted that it had plenty of oil. Now I have to figure out where the oil went... On the brighter side, in two weeks my piggy will have a new top end... Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Aw man that sucks Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:03 pm

Allow me a thick dumb question Ben - the mech did check the frame's oil also did he, not merely telling you what he found in the engine?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 pm

A very astute question that I did not ask. I will check and see... Sneaky oil hiding in the frame like that!! I will report findings ASAP. Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Talked to mech again Burp, he claims less than a quart in the entire system... I never had a "fogging" issue, never left any puddles since the last time I checked the oil, so I'm wondering where all the oil went...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:09 pm

benjamin1031 wrote:I never had a "fogging" issue, ...

Hey, mind you fogging language here, izza fogging public forum 'ere!
thats funny

I've heard of this before, others had this too. There is a remote - and I'm talking about seriously remote! - possibility that the flame leaks there where the 'tank'-part becomes normal frame. If it would (note again the embedded disclaimer) then the oil would be in your frame, hidden as I don't think there's holes anywhere - maybe at the rhs footpeg?
Anyway, drilling a few tiny holes (3, top rail & both lower rails) would give certainty, up to you if you want to look that deep. And no, I've never heard of anyone finding oil here yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 pm

I just want my "FOGGING" bike back!! The mountains are calling my name!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2