Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from CA

Go down

Hello from CA Empty Hello from CA

Post  Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi all, new to the forum here and looking to learn all the ins and outs and secrets of this thing. I've uncorked my 2001 BRP and wow, what a different riding experience from stock. I Just replaced the air filter with a K&N and then I happened to read all the negative things about it on multiple forums. Kinda torn between just riding with it or throwing it away or putting a thin layer of foam on the outside to help trap the dust.
I've had the right side peg break off during a run through some wooops. I've since replaced the bolts with Grade 12.9 bolts that shouldn't break. That was an experience! I have an IMS 4.6 gal tank for long hauls and have added the 35w PIAA bulb after soldering the dual filaments. I also have a Trail-Tech Vapor computer, which is really nice to watch the engine temp, RPM and speed.
Other than those few modifications, not much I think I need to do to it besides get out there and ride.

Soooo.... Howdy!

Last edited by Toadster on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hello from CA Empty Re: Hello from CA

Post  Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Welcome! I run the K&N too. But up in Portland it rains all the time so dust isn't much of a concern to me. I just keep it clean and oiled up. It'll work great for supermoto and somewhere damp like PDX but I'll probably go to a UNI eventually just for the security.

Have you done any gearing yet or suspension work?

rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Have not touched the gearing yet, but will definitely be looking into some stiffer springs soon. Tax season is coming up, so probably be able to get that done then. Right now it rides like a Cadillac, which is nice, but it does need to be stiffened up.

I'm about 260lbs. and I've adjusted the forks a little, but do you know any tricks to get them any stiffer in the mean time?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Toadster wrote:do you know any tricks to get them any stiffer in the mean time?

LOL! My suspension experience consists of washing the mud off BRP smile I'm inept at suspension and would have to sit down and do a bunch of reading just to make minor 'normal' adjustments.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 am

Hi welcome on board Cool
All these years and there are still corked piggies out there ? Shocked

Ditch the K&N if you ride in dust or face the consequences dead horse

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:Hi welcome on board Cool
All these years and there are still corked piggies out there ? Shocked

Yes, for 10 years it was corked and ridden corked. It was a fun bike to ride, but with new handlebars and uncorking, its like a brand new bike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Welcome!

Ten years being corked?!? beat head

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:40 pm

There is one big benefit to it , the stress levels on a corked engine are low , that means the engine has got very low wear on it nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 am

Mad Frosty wrote:Ditch the K&N if you ride in dust or face the consequences

+1000
You will cry if you ride in the dust, it is a shite filter for those circumstances. And diy foam layer won't help, and why reinvent the wheel? UNI's your friend, or TwinAir.

Stiffen up suspension - yes, put the correct springs in (keep your larger tank in mind too), plus mod the fork & shock as per Borynack's tips.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum