Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Icelander's 2000 XRR

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 Empty Re: Icelander's 2000 XRR

Post  Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Mauser wrote:Don't forget to quote the part number of the seal fitted Bump

Yes Mum.... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 am

OK, I'll start this off properly razz

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03180501

As you can see I received the seal, time for the install. Make sure you have all the necessary stuff...

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03183530

So here's my install. Open beer, have a sip BRP smile I cleaned the output shaft very well, smeared it with a thin layer of grease. (Have a Sip)

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03183935

I also put grease on the inside and outside of the seal, and I also pack a bit in to the area where the garter spring is. A trick taught to me by the guy I take stuff to for repair when it's beyond my ability is one of the best I've seen. Has raced and won all over Canada and the USA, was a master mechanic for Toyota for years and now has retired to his own shop. Which has trophies and awards on all the walls for racing...half are his half are his wife's. He told me that sometimes when tapping in a seal with a garter spring the shock from driving the seal in will pop the spring off. Pack it with grease and it stops this from happening. (Big gulp, Cheers Jim!)

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03184300

Gently push the seal on...it actually went almost all the way in.

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03184233

Just had to tap it in a bit with a socket and hammer. (Sip)

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03184606

Use the appropriate tool for the snap ring...I always place the open end of the snaps ring up, the opening at the bottom collects dirt, and I just feel somehow that it looks more secure. There is a sharp square edge to a snap ring, and a rounded side. Square edge out is how I put them in. (Sip)

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03185109

A final look to make sure it looks like it's in properly. When I put in a snap ring I don't try to get the opening perfectly centered when installing, I'll snag one of the eyes of the ring and pull the snap ring around, gently pulling towards the opening of the ring. If it rotates smoothly chances are it is properly seated in the groove. (Celebratory Sip)

I finished with the sprocket, chain, and finished the beer... The sprocket goes on with the teeth IN the round part out, and the retainer clip also only goes on one way, and yes there is a sharp edge and round edge...sharp out please!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:49 am

10/10 for the write up will nick later after work Smile....much appreciated Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am

Icelander-XR650R wrote:
Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-03180501

LOL
LOLOLOL Mauser, you did ask for that actually Bump
Great stuff Ice, and you done it correct & well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Here we go lads....no doubt it's not 100% correct but better than nowt and end of the day it's free and no adverts lol.
http://www.xr650r.co.uk/service/seal/seal.shtml
Thanks to Icelander once again....shame he didn't show the tool used to fit the seal.... Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:47 am

Mauser wrote:Here we go lads....no doubt it's not 100% correct but better than nowt and end of the day it's free and no adverts lol.
http://www.xr650r.co.uk/service/seal/seal.shtml
Thanks to Icelander once again....shame he didn't show the tool used to fit the seal.... Bump

That looks great Mauser nice It all looks good to me study As I've mentioned I hope that my error helps others beat head I'm sure some guys have other tips and tricks deal and some might have some criticism too listen up All comments are welcome blah Just because I did it this way doesn't mean I'm right shrug

I'm happy that you didn't get pissed at me for poking some fun with the photo of the seal asking for it I am new here and do try not to offend. I'm here to enjoy myself, learn a bit, share what I know, and maybe poke some fun as well as have some fun poked back cheers I'm glad that you posted this on the UK site, maybe save someone a trip to the shop 2 thumbs

Had the bike out for a couple good hard runs, it was -2 degrees tonight rider Not much traction, the rear was spinning up in 1st and 2nd when ever I stopped for a bit until I got a bit of heat back in the tire. I snapped the throttle open in 1st leaving a Tim Horton's and the rear spun instantly for about 3 meters (15 feet or so) and then it hooked up and went vertical in front of the bunch of Harley guys that are always standing around (all in cars tonight, not on bikes) and I got a thumbs up from them BRP smile They didn't seem to like the DR650 much, but I think they are impressed by the whole starting routine of the BRP. They all watch as I climb on and fire it up. Anyway, point is I've got some decent runs and heat cycles into the motor and there is no sign of a leak Bananatool My friend on a VFR750 has been with me for the harder runs (read high speed and aggressive) and he was playing spotter for any oil leaking (thanks Rob) bow

I was just thinking...maybe I should have put this in the M&M section... doh If you guys think it should be there I don't mind doing another write up. working on it

(do we get style point for emoticon usage thats funny )

Last edited by Icelander-XR650R on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info regarding posting in M&M)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 am

Takes a lot to offend me lol....after all I have put up with Burp for the last few years StirPot
I like adding stuff which may help others etc, pictures are great I know we could leave them in the forums but sometimes they get deleted or the hosting company vanishes etc, my website(s) have been in the same place for 13 years now so pretty stable; we do get the occasional outage but less than 1 per year and normally only for a hour or so Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:57 am

Bananatool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:45 am

So I was out for a spring ride here in the Colony and typically the weather was beautiful! Ice pellets about 3/16ths of an inch falling...

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 1-Copy

And the Pilot Powers still had enough grip to loft the front in 2nd on throttle with just a little tug...I tried to link the video from my photobucket account but it seems that only photos can be posted...

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:26 am

I was out for a ride on Tuesday night and stopped for a coffee, snapped a photo and altered it a bit with a little program on my phone called Instagram. It looks good on the phone, hopefully it looks good here blown up a bit...

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 Afterworkride

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 am

Would look better with knobbly's and dirt on it but not bad for a SM. 2 thumbs

Icelander-XR650R wrote:I was out for a ride on Tuesday night and stopped for a coffee, snapped a photo and altered it a bit with a little program on my phone called Instagram. It looks good on the phone, hopefully it looks good here blown up a bit...

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 Afterworkride

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:09 am

Hmmm not sure about the dirt but deff the knobblies Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:45 pm

I've got knobbies and would love to put then on but they say NOT FOR ROAD USE...They look new and I really don't want to buy new tires just so I don't get a ticket.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm

In the Uk many polish the "not for not for road use" off.
My tyres are road legal but have never had the markings on the tyres checked during the many times I have been stopped by the police.

Don't know what they are they like in Canada.

The problem here would be if involved in a traffic accident.

Nice bike even with road tyres naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Hew wrote:In the Uk many polish the "not for not for road use" off.
My tyres are road legal but have never had the markings on the tyres checked during the many times I have been stopped by the police.

My last set had "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE" on them.....funny enough I slipped with the Dremel and the writing seems to have disappeared BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Mauser wrote:
Hew wrote:In the Uk many polish the "not for not for road use" off.

My last set had "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE" on them.....funny enough I slipped with the Dremel and the writing seems to have disappeared BRP smile

Hmmmmm..... I have a Dremel, haven't used it in a while. I'm Prolly not very good with it any more...might b cheers e some slippage.

Back to top Go down

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 Empty C-clip tricks

Post  Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:22 am

As it's nearing the end of the month I thought that I'd stop at a Starbucks/Chapters and have a coffee as I thumbed through the May issues of bike magazines for free. BRP smile (yeah, I'm cheap...those KLR guys have nothing on me asking for it ) As I was flipping through a dirt bike mag they had this neat little trick and thought I'd post it up here. Hopefully this doesn't cross any copyright rules.

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-27203155

And the accompanying description...

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-27203210

Hey Mauser, nick these at your own risk! razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 am

My friend and I drove to GP Bikes in Whitby on Saturday, when I rode the XR to his place at 8:00 it was 4 degrees. Luckily it's only about a 15 minute ride. He's got a 2012 Husky CR125 and a 2012 Triumph Street Triple. I put the XR in his garage while we were away but thought you guys might get a chuckle from how he's storing the CR when it's not being ridden...it's not really an XR photo but at least my bike is in the shot Very Happy

Icelander's 2000 XRR - Page 2 2013-04-27144559

He's got the front of the CR up on the winter tires for his car and it just leans against the wall. I took the photo as he was trial fitting a rear luggage bag for the Triple...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2