Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to check oil pressure after oil change

Go down

How to check oil pressure after oil change Empty How to check oil pressure after oil change

Post  Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:27 am

Guys, I read somewhere that after an oil change its good practise to crack an oil line somewhere with the engine running.
Can you show me which one I should be checking?

Back to top Go down

How to check oil pressure after oil change Empty Re: How to check oil pressure after oil change

Post  Mauser Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51 am

I guess you could crack the oil return pipe going back into the top of the frame...right side next to dip stick ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

How to check oil pressure after oil change Empty Re: How to check oil pressure after oil change

Post  Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Yeah, I had read somewhere a while ago there was an oil line that should be checked after an oil/ filter change just to ensure the pump had picked up the new oil and was creating pressure.
Not sure where I read that now though, have looked around but can't find it, thought I read it here?

Didn't get a chance to get into town today to grab a filter, will have to wait till Monday now.

Last edited by Zoro on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistakes and posting using phone issues...)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:37 am

This is hogwash!
No idea what you read but it's nonsense.
Don't do it, you'll foul up yer bike is all you're gonna do.
Just fill the oil in the frame, kick it over plenty of times if you feel like it (to circulate the oil), and start it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 am

I think he read that article about a xr600r

those need to be checked for oil pressure after refill cause of air stuck in the oilpump or some.

i just kick it vew times and let it run idle 5 minutes to check the oilstick again and thats all i do

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:22 pm

No need for this with piggy , just put the right amount of oil in it and keep checking the oil level .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 pm

rikco wrote:I think he read that article about a xr600r

those need to be checked for oil pressure after refill cause of air stuck in the oilpump or some.

i just kick it vew times and let it run idle 5 minutes to check the oilstick again and thats all i do

+1 dead horse

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Roger that guys, I'll just throw some oil in it and guess she's good to go then.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 12:47 am

IMO, Unless you have obstructed oil filters there should be no problem and no need for a pressure test.

How to check oil pressure after oil change 2

How to check oil pressure after oil change 3

How to check oil pressure after oil change 5

This could lead to improper lubrification and this:

How to check oil pressure after oil change 527876_217788181693886_51172178_n

How to check oil pressure after oil change 96937692

Just keep in mind you have 3 filter.

How to check oil pressure after oil change Honda_XR650R_Lubrication_System

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue May 14, 2013 8:02 am

babuja wrote:IMO, Unless you have obstructed oil filters there should be no problem and no need for a pressure test.

How to check oil pressure after oil change 2

How to check oil pressure after oil change 3

How to check oil pressure after oil change 5

This could lead to improper lubrification and this:

How to check oil pressure after oil change 527876_217788181693886_51172178_n

How to check oil pressure after oil change 96937692

Just keep in mind you have 3 filter.

How to check oil pressure after oil change Honda_XR650R_Lubrication_System

Hey when did you pop over and see Frosty's bike ?..... StirPot
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Smile just found it around here i guess

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 7:32 pm

I really really hope that's not your bike B.....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Feck off , that is not my bike , my screen filter is stuck in the frame , noone had ever seen it since it left japan 13 years ago . razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 pm

BuRP wrote:I really really hope that's not your bike B.....

No way man...that's no mine, i just treat my bike like a queen...my wife call it my mistress BRP smile BRP smile

Oil change every 500km and oil filter every 1000km.

Last photo i think i've found it...all the other are from a owner of portuguese forum.

Back to top Go down

How to check oil pressure after oil change Empty XR650R - oil

Post  Guest Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm

I had a strange occurrence - not sure why it happened and wish I did to prevent it happening again - I started a thread on this but it is relevant on here too
Saturday -
oil was up to level in oil sight tube
Drained oil when hot
Checked frame sieve - no obstructions or metallic objects
Drained engine plug
Replaced oil filter - the right way round with the spring behind
Filled 1.6L Actevo 4T 10W40 (same as was in bike)
Kicked bike over 5 - 10 times
Started bike and idled 5 minutes
Checked oil level in sight tube
Rode 5km
Rode 50km

Sunday -
Rode 50km

Monday -
Rode 20km
Boom - Big end seized while I had the brakes on and clutch in

Tuesday -
Drained oil from frame - full of bronze
Checked frame sieve, full of bronze
Removed oil filter full of bronze
Stripped motor - all in good condition apart from big end

Wednesday -
Checked in my wallet, all money gone for a long time Frustrated mad as heck

[img]How to check oil pressure after oil change Dsc01722[/img]

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu May 30, 2013 9:20 am

Me thinks you put 1.6ML of oil in..... asking for it hence BOOOOOOOM StirPot
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

Mauser wrote:Me thinks you put 1.6ML of oil in..... asking for it hence BOOOOOOOM StirPot

I wish I had, then I would know why it went boom. The only mistake I could have made is to put the oil filter in wrong and partially block the hole in the oil filter with the seal but I doubt there is enough space in there to have the oil filter in the wrong position. I don't have the motor with me so I can't check that scenario but I have checked for marks on the oil filter's rubber seal and there are none so it looks like it was seated correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down