Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

no spark

Go down

no spark Empty no spark

Post  Guest Wed May 14, 2014 3:03 am

Hoping that someone can give me some conductance/resistance data for my XR650R. I recently purchased the bike (not running) because it was so clean and original. It had been sitting a while and did not want to start (old gas etc.) Proceeded to clean and rejet carb per the Honda Powerup tech bulletin. Installed a fresh UNI filter, removed smog pump EGR and opened up the muffler tail pipe slightly (about size of half dollar). It has a Baja Designs kit with a 12V NiH battery. Battery was dead so I replaced with a new one. Replaced all fluids (oil, brake, coolant) and put her back together expecting monster power. After a prolonged cranking, it finally started and ran (kinda poorly) and I made it down the block before it died. Tried restarting but with no success.

When it did not start I checked plug and could not get a spark. Removed coil and cleaned connections. Still no spark. Took coil to Honda dealer and they checked it on a machine? and said it was bad. Ordered new coil and still no spark. Suspected bad stator assembly and ordered a 150W Niche stator for better lighting as a bonus. Got a feeble spark and was able to crank and sustain idle but would not rev without immediate dying even when warm. Removed and checked plug again. Sparked a few times brightly (less than 10X) and then no more. Kicked a couple dozen times and nothing. I then suspected a bad CDI box since I now had a new coil and new stator. So I ordered a used CDI box from a recycler on eBay. Swapped the CDI box and cranked some more and still no spark. Checked the continuity on all leads from stator (power & exciter coils). Checked continuity on wires in the harness, as well. All is great. Disconnected kill switch. Got a free second Niche 150W stator under warranty. Tried it. Nothing. Checked coil wire to plug - great conductance. Swapped out with 2 different plugs and nothing. Checked ohm readings on coil and stator. All seem to be within specs (250 ohms power coil and 95 ohms exciter coil) What else is left? Only three components in the system and I have swapped out all three and in varying combinations. Thanks for any insight. Sorry for the long post. Neil in Florida

PS - BTW this bike is FOR SALE. I am sick of messing with it. mad as heck 

Back to top Go down

no spark Empty problem solved thanks

Post  Guest Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 am

Thanks to all who assisted in helping solve my ignition electrical problem. Not sure of how or why but, by disabling the entire BD dual sport kit, the spark and engine sprang to life and runs terrific. Problem appeared to be in the wiring of the BD kill switch thru the stock wiring harness. The BRP didn't like it. Crying or Very sad 

Gonna replace with a factory kill switch which should make it happen Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

no spark Empty Re: no spark

Post  Mauser Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 am

I think your comments on selling the bike didn't help; we do always try and help genuine Piggy owners but we are shy of "fly by nights" who come along pick our brains and then move on  listen up Maybe now she is running good you will keep her ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Go and give her a kiss and hug, the poor thing's been sick and probably crying on her own.
Then go for a long ride, sounds like you just need to bond with her.

I dare you...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 15, 2014 6:02 pm

well you obviously didn't need any assistance because you figured it out yourself - awesome huh!  Bananatool 

now ride the thing and I bet you don't want to sell it!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 15, 2014 7:17 pm

There is not much that can be done over the internet when it comes to electrical issues , especialy if the wireing its not stock ,  electrics are like a minefield if you ask me , so best to keep it stock - simple = reliable .

Says man that have the BD kit on his bike  Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu May 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:There is not much that can be done over the internet when it comes to electrical issues , especialy if the wireing its not stock ,  electrics are like a minefield if you ask me , so best to keep it stock - simple = reliable .

Says man that have the BD kit on his bike  Bump

I will stick with my 3 wire loom...... listen up 
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down