Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STEERING STABILIZER

Go down

STEERING STABILIZER Empty STEERING STABILIZER

Post  Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:38 pm

HEY EVERYBODY!
Which is the best steering stabilizer for the BRP? I like Scotts, but not to hip on the dip stick attachment for the stabilizer post. Do they make a forward mount kit that clamps to the steering head? Between Scotts and GPR which is the most user friendly and easily rebuildable? Thanks for your time and I have many more questions.

Back to top Go down

STEERING STABILIZER Empty Re: STEERING STABILIZER

Post  Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 pm

I went with the Scotts setup on my BRP. After reading a ton of threads on the subject the Scotts damper seemed to be the agreed on winner for tune ability, performance, longevity, ect. I went with a BRP (same as Scotts) tripple with the Submount setup for the Scotts. That places the damper below the bars and has a forward arm, it keeps the dipstick clear. You can get over the bar mounts also. It has a very nice machined billet mount that clamps around the steering stem and holds the pin for the damper. The biggest benafit for me with this setup is the ergonomics choices when ordering (I have LONG arms and was able to order the rise, offset, and bars that suited my arm length).

I'd definatly recommend the Scotts/BRP setup. nice

STEERING STABILIZER Img0720jw1

Here you can see the billet piece that goes around the steering stem of the bike. You can also see the arm of the damper sticking out the front under the bars.

STEERING STABILIZER Img0185up2

Here's a overhead shot. The whole unit is very clean and tucks in under the bars nicely.

Hope this helps.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:26 am

I have the Scotts also, but have an over the bar forward mount setup. I just have not bought the damper yet. I use a Scotts on my race bike and service it twice a year. It is a pretty simple process. I had a WER for about 6 months and sold it. It just was not good enough for my taste.

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:15 am

After much deliberation I went with the GPR and it wasn't to save $$...The cost for the whole setup is about the same as the Scotts. It has one dial to worry about and it's labeled for ease of use...Kinda like a "Stabilizer For Dummies". I like that they're made in California and GPR will repair/maintenance it anytime you want at no charge. You can custom order the stabilizer, triple and mounts in any color. You can keep your stock throttle cables and maintain access to your dipstick. Here is a link to some FAQ's - GPR FAQ.

It's like buying a toaster...Some have more settings than others but in the end you still get toast.

STEERING STABILIZER Picture002tp8
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:45 am

I have a GPR too. But that's because that's what the bike came with. I need to get it rebuilt I think but since they're about a half hour drive from me that's no problem. BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:59 am

Focker wrote:It's like buying a toaster...Some have more settings than others but in the end you still get toast.

True.....but along those lines a Bicycle with one gear is a useful tool, a bicycle with multiple gears can be tuned to your riding environment and is even more useful. asking for it

BRP smile BRP smile BRP smile

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

STEERING STABILIZER Empty THANK YOU.

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:29 pm

THANKS EVERYBODY, THE INFO HELPS A LOT!!![strike]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Here's a shot of my Scotts/BRP setup:

STEERING STABILIZER CIMG0414

STEERING STABILIZER CIMG0413

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 am

I have a Scotts.

Back to top Go down

STEERING STABILIZER Empty Go with Scotts.....

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:42 pm

I have three dirt bikes all with Scotts that is all I have ever run and am pleased with the performance and durability. One of my units is 19 years old and I still am able to service it and rebuild it.

BB

Back to top Go down

STEERING STABILIZER Empty Thank you!!

Post  Guest Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks everybody for your info!!! I really appreciate all your help!!! I will be getting pics soon.........Thanks again!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:21 am

I have a scotts dampener but the knob has seized on it. Anyone have that happen? its only about 2 years old with 15,000km of light road duty on it. ( i used it on my ktm 950)

Still have to get a scotts triple clamp for the BRP.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:05 am

You a bit seized up Jake,well you said the knob seized up BRP smile .
I'm going to use dampener from a 08 and on CRF when i do my USD convo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down