Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire

Go down

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Empty Not so epic journey to Yorkshire

Post  Guest Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:46 pm

I got bored of the local green lanes so hatched a plan two weeks ago to meet my ktm riding brother @ Scotch Corner last weekend. We decided on Yorkshire as its about 1/2 half way between his home in Livingston and me in Cambridge. So we took a 4 day weekend to do some riding.

I didn't think 14/48 would be very nice for 180 odd miles on the A1 so I fitted 15/43. With my super mefo explorer 140/80/18 this gives me +- 120 mph top end Shocked
I tried seeing how fast it could go but the bike started weaving so badly (not helped by the heavy side winds last week) over 75 that I thought might die by tank slapper if I pushed my luck  asking for it I dont know if its because of the mitas e10 front/tyre pressures or what but its fine as long as I keep the velocity at sensible levels.

Anyhow all in all the ride to scotch corner was boring but doable going 60-70. Having a seat concepts seat helped too  Wink

So we guessed we would ride to Danby on Friday,then ride to Peckering via Withby and Kirkbymoorside on Sat and go to Grassington on Sunday.

We didnt really have a clue what lanes are about but I searched for the byways on the osm maps and plotted out some routes, also based this on some gpx routes I found on the net. Some of the byways had tro's on them which weren't listed on the maps though, so I guess they are new ones Sad and the gpx file so wrong that it tried to send us up a vertical cliff Neutral

Luckily Rutland (well I think its called Rutland anyways) was open so Saturday wasn't a total wash out and we took a detour down some lanes that I think wasn't actually a lane Neutral

On Sunday we hit a few tro's again but ended up going over the dales on what i think is part of the six dales trail. It was nice not having to fight the brp in Cambridgeshire clay/mud as all the lanes were mostly dry, hard pack or gravel which is similar to what I grew up riding in SA on the Highveld (just colder).

We ended up doing a lot more road miles than planned but the roads are twisty up and down the hills which made it enjoyable, and for all the road bikes I have owned in the past I still find longish stroke thumpers (and 500cc smokers) my favorite especially on the back roads.

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Pano_214

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Pano_213

I think the following is part of what i think is called rutland steps by locals and doesnt look to bad but a XRR with luggage and a dual sport tyres made it a tad difficult but I got up with only one stop, unlike ktm boy who got stuck a few times and needed pushing (admittedly he has done a lot less off road on a 4 stroke than me) but I still felt the need to rib him about how old my XRR was and it go up with less hassle Smile

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Img_2015

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Pano_210

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Pano_215

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Img_2014

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Img_2017

I took the ktm690 (its a 2015 model for reference sake) for a spin and man that motor is super smooth compared to my XRR (also the electric start makes a happy change, especially when the XXR is flooded or cold) the suspension is very nice too but I am so used to the (old school) riding position on my XXR that I dont know if i would get on with the 690 but it has made me think about getting a 990 Adventure R...or do we wait for the mythical new Africa Twin (assuming it would be as good as a ktm off road)   Frustrated  

Anyhow...nowhere near as epic as our American,African and Ozzie XRR compatriots get to do but it was fun to be allowed a weekend pass by the missus to do something I haven't done for 14 years.

So now the bug has bitten again its off to plan an attempt at riding the XRR to Spain, especially seeing that it seems like " The last march of the Mighty Pigs " may not happen   StirPot

Back to top Go down

Not so epic journey to Yorkshire Empty Re: Not so epic journey to Yorkshire

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:35 pm

You could have stopped for a cuppa lad cheers

Next time let us know that you are in the area , BTW i am waiting for the New True adventure / africa twin but i am sick of the delays angry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:32 pm

sorry i didnt even think of stopping by as it was a bit of a hastily planned thing.

I just wish Honda would give us more info regarding the Africa Twin so that i can plan my finance's or just let me buy the ktm  Frustrated

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:17 am

I know about really nice 990 that was tempting me for a while bargain at 4200 but i wil wait till the new homda comes out and then decide what to do . BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:30 am

Can you remain that long wheelless Madder?
I'd go berserk, but that may just be me Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Burp's i have not sold the XRR yet , cannot live without a bike pirat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:33 am

Oh, my bad good man, thought you had flogged good ol' trusted a while ago.
Still time to reconsider then, or time to determine which part of the living room you're going to hang it from the roof's trusses BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:53 am

What is a " Tro" as mentioned in your ride report?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:21 pm

This topic is likely to open a huge can of worms!! StirPot

Also I am not an expert on this topic!

tro= traffic regulation order. Some are permanent others are seasonal (usually October to March) April is soon upon us Smile

Basically the byways in England and Wales are unpaved roads that have been used for 100's of years to connect villages etc. Some are classed as BOAT's (byways open to all traffic) so we can ride on them (also people in 4x4 land rovers etc can use them) but you vehicle must be  fully roadworthy, insured etc

Some have tro's imposed on them for what ever reasons the council sees fit, I believe the council doesn't even need to give a reason unless (a lot) of people complain.
I believe the usual reason given for tro's is that the byways need repair or local residents have complained about noise, people racing along lane, scaring horses etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down