Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra metal clutch plate mod

Go down

Extra metal clutch plate mod Empty Extra metal clutch plate mod

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Just about to tear into my new to me 01 BRP and replace the clutch bushing and while I have it apart I was wondering about adding the extra plate into the clutch.  Has anyone done this?  Where exactly do you install the extra plate?  I can't seem to find an exact location i.e. (bottom of stack or after the judder) and maybe I'm not quite understanding what they mean.  Hopefully it will become easily apparent once I have everything apart but I have never pulled a clutch apart before and just want to be sure what I am trying to do before I get in there.  Thanks in advance for the responses.

Back to top Go down

Extra metal clutch plate mod Empty Re: Extra metal clutch plate mod

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm

adding an extra plate is new to me (but I by no means know everything!), where are you getting this idea from?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Same here Piggy clutches are very good cannot see why you would add to it ?.....you don't ride a 650L BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:36 am

I got the idea from the pigpen website. http://www.xr650r.us/clutch/ I don't know whether or not it is worthwhile to do but since I was going to replace the bushing I thought it was the opportune time to do it.  The other info on the site seems to be pretty good so thought I would research this a little more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:21 am

"Of those who have admitted on the group to removing the judder, I'd be willing to bet that 50% of them reported either a grabby clutch, an obnoxious squeak on engagement, or both. I'll leave the decision to do this one up to you."

I wouldn't bother Smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:58 pm

I wasn't planning on removing the judder just adding an extra metal plate as recommended by the site and SRC but it doesn't sound like that many people have done it and therefore I will not be doing it at this time.  I will just replace the bushing with the upgraded one and be done with it.  Thank you guys for the responses. BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Some people have done it , when the clutch was slightly worn , adding one metal plate adds what was lost by the wear and you can get more life from the clutch , i have never done it but i think i would not bother , i would just buy a new clutch , but that is me .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Sounds like a plan to me as well. I won't mess with it. Thanks again for the info.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:23 pm

I can understand, if you've got a spare metal plate lying around anyway, that you'll put it in if your set has worn so thin it gives slippage/problems.
But, that's a patch only, by definition temporarily, just to give to time to ride to the stealer and order a new fresh set.....

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down