Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New TM40 Pumper Blues

Go down

New TM40 Pumper Blues Empty New TM40 Pumper Blues

Post  Guest Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:39 am

Just got a new TM40 Pumper carb. I put one on my DR650SE. Biggest bang for my buck I could ask for. Easy peasy install. Hooked it up and it took off like a scalded dog. Not so true for my XR650R. I got it today and hooked it up after work. No start. No Bark. No Fart No nothing. Gas started to flow out vent tubes. I kicked like a mad man and got quite the cardio work out. Gas continued to flow out vent tube. I turned of gas and then gas starts to flow out compression release port and spewing out end of muffler. Gas is dripping from slip on and rivets on can. beat head Any body have an idea of whats up with that?
I hate throwing away $450
Thanks for any help in advance
Randy

Back to top Go down

New TM40 Pumper Blues Empty Re: New TM40 Pumper Blues

Post  Guest Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:59 pm

The std carb is simplicity at the barest minimum.
The TM40 is same but for an added pumper.
Even a lawnmower's carb has a float....
... and yours clearly has something wrong with that.
Fix it?

Then, if you bought it from XRsOnly, throw all supplied jets away and buy the correct one's.
If not, at bare minimum describe what you have, also bikewise?

Few clairvoyants here, nothing wrong with giving a bit of info before asking advice Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Related, what do you mean with compression release port?
I ask because this bike does not have one, it simply lifts an exhaust valve a tad...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:13 pm

BuRP wrote:The std carb is simplicity at the barest minimum.
The TM40 is same but for an added pumper.
Even a lawnmower's carb has a float....
... and yours clearly has something wrong with that.
Fix it?

Then, if you bought it from XRsOnly, throw all supplied jets away and buy the correct one's.
If not, at bare minimum describe what you have, also bikewise?

Few clairvoyants here, nothing wrong with giving a bit of info before asking advice Wink

My Bad!!!! Sorry its a 2001 XR650R. Just got it from a dude that never rode it. Has about 5 hours on it. Like I said before I put a TM40 on my DR650 started on 1st kick (with electric start) and never looked back. Maybe I'll take float bowl off and see if anything is sticking or giving my needle and seat problems. I have doing a bunch of research on this problem last night.
Thanks,
Randy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:16 pm

BuRP wrote:Related, what do you mean with compression release port?
I ask because this bike does not have one, it simply lifts an exhaust valve a tad...

Fuel was spurting out the front of motor. I thought there was some kind of compression release port. I now know that sounds stupid. Fuel is pouring out the exhaust tip when I kick it. It is dripping out of rivits on WB exhaust can. Dripping out of mid pipe clamp.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:34 am

Randy,

first off because most important, find the spot wherever fuel came out of the front of the engine? That is a problem you will want to address first, before you get it running!
As said an exh valve lifts a bit dumping pressure/mix into the exhaust, and (duh BRP smile ) that should be sealed.
Hang on though, this bike has some small port for exhaust gas recirculation (anti smog rubbish which must come off, is probably) which requires a block-off/blanking plate when removed.... and this is where I suspect your bike is lacking.
XRsOnly has the kit, get it and mount it if it proves not to be present.
The good news is though that your decomp systems seems to work  Bump

Then you don't mention if the carb is new.
If so just open it (take it off, simple enough and works a million times better) and check what's amiss. If it's a used one clean it to the bone, and DO used compressed air to clean all & sundry.
Also note down all what is a jet, what you have in it sizewise, and compare this to Chris' thread on this forum.... because I bet my willy that at least some will have to be changed! Realize you were downright lucky with your Suzi, mount & forget, because that actually never ever happens.... but I believe you this time  BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:42 am

Come to think of it, you better check IF your bike has been decorked?
Search uncorcking XR650R, and check all!
I hunch your anti-smog rubbish was taken off but no blanking kit used, ie leaving it open which is seriously bad,this indicating shoddy workmanship if not neglect.
The bike is yours now, spoil it by going through all you can find.... it'll reward you by being a reliable cracker, the kind they don't make anymore!

And yeah, welcome to the fortunate few razz

Back to top Go down

New TM40 Pumper Blues Empty New TM40 Pumper Blues Fixed

Post  Guest Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Well I'd like to thank you all for the help. There is a spigot on the right side of carburator that I mistakenly thought was fuel inlet. It is some sort of vacuum port. I put fuel line on that in error like an idiot. Anyway sorted it out and now the bike rips!!!!!! Thanks again for all the help

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:26 am

Happy wheelying!!! BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down