Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best oil?

Go down

best oil? Empty best oil?

Post  Guest Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:56 pm

What oil is best recomended for 650r's?

Back to top Go down

best oil? Empty Re: best oil?

Post  Mauser Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:56 pm

I use Silkolene 10W40 semi on all my bikes...ZX12-R etc and they all like it....other might have different idea's so be warned lol
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Is that the silkolene mineral 10/40?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:58 am

torqueandpower wrote:What oil is best recomended for 650r's?

Treacherous grounds here, the best answer is "Yes!"
BRP smile
Personal preference plays a key role here, marketing is strong Cool
But let's see, who actually makes oils?
Shell, Esso, BP, Elf, Agip, Caltex etc, those are names we all know. They sell fuels mainly plus oils to support their fuel station's service offerings. If they stuff up oilwise they risk their gazillion fuel sales worth - which they simply cannot afford so they don't, their oils will perform as per on the tin.
Other brands, some quite well known, buy their base oils from businesses who make them, in fact they do nothing else. Oh yeah, they mix whatever additive their client (the brand) wants in it... et presto, there's your "special super duper racing bike' oil.
Some elusive exceptions exist though, some small brands creating their own synthetics, quite often good too.
But, my bikes/cars/padlocks do not belong to NASA, and I refuse to pay the superinflated prices all those fancy oils fetch, if only because it's not worth it.

Shell Helix Ultra (the grey tin, full synthetic) is a downright good oil, top of the Helix range, 10W40. I use it in all I have, possibly mixed 50/50 (yes, you may mix any engine oil) with Caltex Delo which is an oil intended for diesels, it keeps an engine very clean inside. Use either or in the Pig, just replace it every 2000km max, or twice a year if you don't ride the mileage.

But, that's me, Mauser clearly prefers another brand, and he may too.
You too, buy whatever you like, just renew it as per prescribed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:22 pm

BuRP wrote:
torqueandpower wrote:What oil is best recomended for 650r's?

Treacherous grounds here, the best answer is "Yes!"
BRP smile
Personal preference plays a key role here, marketing is strong  Cool
But let's see, who actually makes oils?
Shell, Esso, BP, Elf, Agip, Caltex etc, those are names we all know. They sell fuels mainly plus oils to support their fuel station's service offerings. If they stuff up oilwise they risk their gazillion fuel sales worth - which they simply cannot afford so they don't, their oils will perform as per on the tin.
Other brands, some quite well known, buy their base oils from businesses who make them, in fact they do nothing else. Oh yeah, they mix whatever additive their client (the brand) wants in it... et presto, there's your "special super duper racing bike' oil.
Some elusive exceptions exist though, some small brands creating their own synthetics, quite often good too.
But, my bikes/cars/padlocks do not belong to NASA, and I refuse to pay the superinflated prices all those fancy oils fetch, if only because it's not worth it.

Shell Helix Ultra (the grey tin, full synthetic) is a downright good oil, top of the Helix range, 10W40. I use it in all I have, possibly mixed 50/50 (yes, you may mix any engine oil) with Caltex Delo which is an oil intended for diesels, it keeps an engine very clean inside. Use either or in the Pig, just replace it every 2000km max, or twice a year if you don't ride the mileage.

But, that's me, Mauser clearly prefers another brand, and he may too.
You too, buy whatever you like, just renew it as per prescribed.

2000km! - You mean 1000?
I was on Belray Thumper but at R190.00 a liter I have shifted to Castrol Actevo 4T at R85.00 a liter - Buy it from Honda Westrand and that is what they stick in all their bikes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:47 am

listen up  
Shell Helix Ultra (the one with performance plus on the label) It's made from CH4 using Gas to Liquid technology,look that up in your funknwagnel, it has the highest NOACK Volatility Test rating of any engine oil, its not a synthetic and not a mineral oil 5W/40 and can be bought here in Brisbane for $36 for 5litres
It is a fantastic oil and it's very cheap.OEM fill for Ferrari
Is this the oil you mean BuRP or has it got the clean technology symbol on the label

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum