Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnetic oil drain plug snapped off

Go down

Magnetic oil drain plug snapped off Empty Magnetic oil drain plug snapped off

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:10 pm

So I bought a magnetic oil drain plug which over time started leaking. I went to tighten it a bit and it just snapped off in the case. Any ideas how to remove it?
Thanks for your help...

Back to top Go down

Magnetic oil drain plug snapped off Empty Re: Magnetic oil drain plug snapped off

Post  Mauser Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:24 am

Same as any other plug use an extractor, however I fear the magnetic part will drop off into your sump when you drill the hole for the extractor ?....gutted for you as would hate anything floating around in my bike, you maybe able to get it out afterwards with a piece of steel wire and go fishing ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Magnetic oil drain plug snapped off Empty Re: Magnetic oil drain plug snapped off

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:51 am

Is it a steel or aluminium one, and where did it break off, just behind the head? If it is just behind the head you try a long parallel punch about 2.5mm dia. and tap the plug off centre unscrewing it

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 am

"tap the plug off centre unscrewing it"

+1 but I'd use a centerpunch.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:37 pm

BuRP wrote:"tap the plug off centre unscrewing it"

+1 but I'd use a centerpunch.
Or failing that a 6mm tap or something similar Bananatool
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down