Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaking tank

Go down

leaking tank Empty leaking tank

Post  Guest Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:05 pm

i have developed a pinhole leak beat head inside the tunnel at the rear near the rubber mount. has any one had any luck repairing a plastic tank,this one is a white or translucent ims tank.seems as many products there are made out of this stuff there should be a way to repair it. thnks XX

Back to top Go down

leaking tank Empty Re: leaking tank

Post  Focker Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:53 pm

dos equis wrote:i have developed a pinhole leak inside the tunnel at the rear near the rubber mount. has any one had any luck repairing a plastic tank,this one is a white or translucent ims tank.seems as many products there are made out of this stuff there should be a way to repair it. thnks XX
Since it's a pinhole leak try using a soldering gun to melt the plastic shut. I've done this for other applications but never to stop a leak. Worth a try. shrug

Oh and make sure you drain the fuel & have a extinguisher on hand...I'm thinking possible fire hazard.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

leaking tank Empty jb weld

Post  Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:10 am

dos equis wrote:i have developed a pinhole leak beat head inside the tunnel at the rear near the rubber mount. has any one had any luck repairing a plastic tank,this one is a white or translucent ims tank.seems as many products there are made out of this stuff there should be a way to repair it. thnks XX
have used an automotive 2 part (epoxy) and has lasted for years. I also used JB Weld to plug a pin hole leak in a plastic swimming pool valve that runs 24/7 and 2 years latter still no leak. Just follow the directions.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:34 pm

i searched the web and came up with a place that has a glue that works on poly plastic,plastex,a 2 part system said they modified a tank for chris carrs racebike.i decided to wait on ordering it as i looked for more options it is $3o.oo for 400 ml,tried to clean the tank up for a good look at the hole and stuck my finger thru the tank Frustrated .it is an older tank i got on ebay and the inside is as brittle as a milk jug left in the sun i think motor heat dried it out all you have to do is push with a finger and a crack will apear,check your tank if they are old fellas.gotta love ebay.
ok that tank is junk,opinions on a new one clarke or ims pros and cons size does it matter$ i am thinking of a 4. somthing not a valdez size,how about cheap prices as i already have $50.00 spent on a tank.XX

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad luck on Ebay. Some people just are not trustworthy.

I can get you a new Clarke 4.3 gallon in Red, White or Black for $205 shipped. We dont have them on our website yet.

Doug

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:54 pm

does the clarke make the front of the seat go up like the ims does? i think the guy on ebay was okay dont think it leaked for him but i never even filled it and it is now 5 months later i will just use it as one of those learning lessons,new red one is the way i will go and 205 for a tank is better than 50 for a leak,maybe i can make a lamp out of itXX BRP smile

Back to top Go down

leaking tank Empty tank Repair - Plastic

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:57 am

I found some stuff that I think was perfect for that. I'm in Florida for a week and when I return I'll find it and post.

Here's a list of stuff that many carry at least one or two of:
http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-sticks/index.html

Here's an interesting thread on it:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/35066/display.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I will take a picture of my bike with a Clarke 4.3 on it. It does not make the seat do anything weird.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:58 pm

leaking tank DSCF4578

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:59 pm

leaking tank DSCF4579

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:36 am

thanks for the photos,looks great the ims made my cover wrinkle up and was hard to get the seat on.XX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down