Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain?

Go down

How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain? Empty How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:18 pm

How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain?

Walking into a liquor store for a 12 pack doesn't count.

Last edited by AURORA on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain? Empty Re: How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:18 pm

I work out pretty regularly, but my biggest problem is that at 6'3" 320 I am a tubby bitch.

More linebacker sized than Homer Simpson sized though.

I also have the added benefit of being an ex-MTN bike racer so I know how to pick lines really fast and toss the bike around like it's a toy.

Another issue is that being an old bastaige (39) I don't heal as fast. I find myself ramping back for fear of injury more than anything. listen up

Back to top Go down

How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain? Empty Re: How many people workout so they can handle tough terrain?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Cardio seems to be better for me than muscle. If you cant breath, you cant get O2 to the muscle which equals being tired.
But I am also a firefighter so muscle helps...I do both.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Yeah I do gymnastics all day climbing all over roofs which really helps with balance and bashing nails with a 28oz hammer helps strengthen the wrists, but if I was in a non manual job yeah a would

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:17 pm

workout...? no way .. I enjoy being sore as hell for the next 3 days after a good ride...... rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:50 pm

I work out a bit but it's not for riding i just do it anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:44 am

yes, I work out to help me with riding. I also work out for other reasons but I KNOW lifting weights help me ride. My friend is much smaller than I am and while he is a faster rider when he rides a large bike like the xr he cant controll it and gets tired very fast. Some things I added into my workouts specifically to help with riding were:

Forearm curls to help with grip and longevity.

Running for endurance like cardiovascular which has a rediculous amount of good things, but for legs it helps you to stay in the attack position longer.

squats help with standing faster and if you have a back pack on it doesnt matter nearly as much.

abdominals to help stabilize your core, which impacts most of your weight and ballance over the bike. (next time your on the bike and the bike seems to just want to go a little to the left when you want to go to the right like a rut or something, feel for it, your off balance for sure. core strength helps you controll you AND the bike)

also the muscles on the inner side of yor leg (forgot the name???) they will help you grip the bike and also help in controll with the bike.

Things like benchpress deadlift or anything actually will still help, maybe not directally but they still help with overall strength which you really need for a bike like this. Also, just being genreally larger helps to influence the bike and where you want it to go.

Hope some of this helps someone.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:02 pm

I workout just so I can get outa bed every day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:13 pm

I have to workout just so I can handle the fireroads. BRP smile I can't handle tough stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:00 am

I run 4.5 miles six times a week. Helps with my endurance and picking up the piggy w/o getting winded at elevation here in NM. Mostly do it to keep heart healthy and control my weight gain as I've gotten older. It's a good thing, but I am always feeling tired in the legs day in and out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:10 pm

I have to stay in shape with my work...little running, lifting...etc...To prepare for some of my bigger trips I do hit the gym pretty hard for about 4 weeks prior and I notice a difference. I find myself not riding "behind" the bike...I'm more relaxed and in control of the bike then the bike controling me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:11 am

Weight training for 15 years, has definitely helped me out with riding. 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm

The only exercise i get is when i kick the XR over.

I owned a 950 super enduro before the XR650R, and after riding that, the XR feels like a little 250.
As long as i dont ride anything smaller, the XR isnt a big red pig to me naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:05 am

I'm 43 and I ride for a workout. I also play ice hockey and find that helps my riding and my riding helps my hockey. Go figure.
Tim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 pm

ADVJake wrote:The only exercise i get is when i kick the XR over.

I owned a 950 super enduro before the XR650R, and after riding that, the XR feels like a little 250.
As long as i dont ride anything smaller, the XR isnt a big red pig to me naughty

power wise or bulk?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 pm

big boar, little man wrote:

power wise or bulk?

Bulk. The power is just as good up to say 70mph, yet funnily the XR is more stable at 100MPH

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:53 am

I try to do 4 miles every other day and the bowflex the other days. It help with riding, but I do it more for keepin the weight and cholesterol and blood pressure down as much as helping out riding. That and trying to eat right. Now if i could only cut down on the beer intake, but that aint happen anytime soon! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Now THAT is a great philosophy! 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:20 pm

I know what you mean... My other bike is a KTM 640 Adventure. Jumping on the XR is like riding 250...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:06 am

AURORA wrote:Walking into a liquor store for a 12 pack doesn't count.

Damn! Smile

The reason I started riding again was for good workouts. The bike and terrain are my gym.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:21 am

Since I got my XRR 3 weeks ago I lost 20lbs.

Still a fat bastid, and have about 50+ more to go, but on the way.

Yes I am dieting. Hauling the BRP around really lets you know how out of shape you are.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:57 am

Off the Grid wrote:Since I got my XRR 3 weeks ago I lost 20lbs.

Still a fat bastid, and have about 50+ more to go, but on the way.

Yes I am dieting. Hauling the BRP around really lets you know how out of shape you are.

Yeah, what OTG said, as well!

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 pm

badcooky wrote:I work out a bit but it's not for riding i just do it anyway.

Ditto. I feel like a slug if I don't. I started in high school then stopped for a number of years then got back into it in the early '90s and for the most part have kept up with it ever since. I'm 43 and I'm in the best shape of my life. LOL I also try to eat right and have given up adult beverages. Being a drummer in a Heavy Metal band helps as well; a mini workout whenever we play.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 pm

What do you mean by "adult beverages"? Wink

I am sure your are talking juicing energy drinks mixed in with some Metamucil... cheers

brucifer wrote:
Ditto. I feel like a slug if I don't. I started in high school then stopped for a number of years then got back into it in the early '90s and for the most part have kept up with it ever since. I'm 43 and I'm in the best shape of my life. LOL I also try to eat right and have given up adult beverages. Being a drummer in a Heavy Metal band helps as well; a mini workout whenever we play.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:18 pm

AtomicXRer wrote:What do you mean by "adult beverages"? Wink

I am sure your are talking juicing energy drinks mixed in with some Metamucil... cheers

brucifer wrote:

LOL! Nah, you're confusing "adult" with senior.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down