Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KTM Folding Mirrors

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

KTM Folding Mirrors Empty KTM Folding Mirrors

Post  Focker Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 am

I've got a pair of these dual sport mirrors and their worth the price. I bought the longer set without bar clamps because I have the XR's only perch. The bar mounts work well (mamacone has them) and aren't cheesy by any means. You can fold the mirrors down towards your bars when in rough terrain, then fold them all the way back until they stop. Their right where you had them without any adjustments needed.

KTM Folding Mirrors 409817uh2

KTM folding mirror website - Moto Science
Contact info - Henri Baccouche

Last edited by Focker on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Link Update)
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

KTM Folding Mirrors Empty Re: KTM Folding Mirrors

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:03 pm

+1 on these mirrors. They work great! I'm currently running a single mirror on the left side (I went with the shorter mirror stock for mine). I'm using a XR's only billet mount that clamps to your clutch perch. I really don't like this setup, if I crash I would hate for the mirror to break the clutch perch and leave me without a clutch. I'm going to move the mirror over to its own mount that clamps to the bar.

KTM Folding Mirrors Reyn8

KTM Folding Mirrors Img0347og2

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:04 pm

After riding with mamacone the other day I took a closer look at his mirror clamps (he too like Hadakaguy has the same mirrors). I really liked how low and tucked into the bike they were. So I converted to the bar clamp style for the same reasons Hodakaguy pointed out. The difference is I had the longer mirrors mounted with perches. They are more susceptible to breaking when turfing it...Which I do often. The clamp is great because it lowers the elbow closer to the bar and with my long mirror posts I can can still see behind me without tucking in my elbow.

You should give these mirrors a try...Henri is great to deal with. He also points out the the clamp is designed to break away under impact...This could save having to buy a new mirror every time you crash.

KTM Folding Mirrors Picture002tp8

KTM Folding Mirrors Picture003av1
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:59 am

You Tri-Cities guys bikes are way too clean.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:40 am

They are clean, because it rains here at least twice a year, our air filters are dirty.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:04 pm

mamacone wrote:They are clean, because it rains here at least twice a year, our air filters are dirty.
Same here, dry side O the Cascades. Mine is clean sometimes Smile

When I first bought it in May
KTM Folding Mirrors YardNew004

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:38 am

I found out the hard way today that using loctite on the elbow joint of these mirrors is a must. I was clippin' along the trail today and looked down and it was just sitting (rattling) there behind the headlight. I'm glad that I folded it down otherwise it might have hit the ground and busted...Not something I want to have happen at $30 bucks a pop!
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Hey those look familiar only mine are Husky. naughty

KTM Folding Mirrors CIMG0413

KTM Folding Mirrors CIMG0422

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:14 am

Indeed. Another must have farkle!

Good point on not using the clutch perch option. Of course, that's exactly where my current mirror is attached. I won't crash, though. (LOL!).

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:26 pm

I ordered 2 of the 280mm ones for my Transalp. I already have the short version on my XR. Very nice mirrors. I got them in the mail today and have bolted them up. Great price and fast shipping. 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Just ordered one with perch for my pig! Anything has got to be better than the acerbis one that I've got on there now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:40 am

crash7 wrote:Just ordered one with perch for my pig! Anything has got to be better than the acerbis one that I've got on there now.
Congrats, crash7!

The Acerbis mirror is perhaps the worst mirror ever made. I could not toss mine in the trash quick enough.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:03 pm

stroupdog wrote:You Tri-Cities guys bikes are way too clean.
Hahaha... I was noticing that too... Well, after moving to this side of the state, mine has been staying clean a LOT longer now... Except when I make a trip to Taneum or something... (Sorry its a little off-topic...)

KTM Folding Mirrors TaneumandNaches021

KTM Folding Mirrors Manastash040-1

KTM Folding Mirrors Manastash032-1

KTM Folding Mirrors Manastash018-1

But, then again, if you don't mind the mud, then you get views like this...
KTM Folding Mirrors WindyPassandPeachesRidge024

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 pm

KTM Folding Mirrors TaneumandNaches021

That looks like PRIIMO riding environment! Where?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:58 pm

stroupdog wrote:KTM Folding Mirrors TaneumandNaches021

That looks like PRIIMO riding environment! Where?
Stroup;

I made a posting here about my ride write-ups here in eastern washington. PM me if you ever wanna go...

http://www.xr650rforum.com/epic-adventures-f6/eastern-washington-ride-reports-t190.htm#943

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:22 am

Dave P wrote:
crash7 wrote:Just ordered one with perch for my pig! Anything has got to be better than the acerbis one that I've got on there now.
Congrats, crash7!

The Acerbis mirror is perhaps the worst mirror ever made. I could not toss mine in the trash quick enough.
Came in the mail today! Very fast shipping. Looks sturdy, hope to put it on tomorrow; I'll post pics.

Back to top Go down

KTM Folding Mirrors Empty Long or short?

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:14 pm

I can't decide whether to get the long or the short stem. I just broke my second Acerbis thiis pat weekend.

Any thoughts re whether to get the long or short stems?

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Yeti wrote:I can't decide whether to get the long or the short stem. I just broke my second Acerbis thiis pat weekend.

Any thoughts re whether to get the long or short stems?
If you use the mirror a lot (like I do) go long. With the longer stem I don't have to tuck in my arm/body to see behind me...If that's not a concern then go short. I would recommended the bar mount vs the perch style.

Plus:
Instead of using lock tight on the elbow joint nut...I simply replace the standard nut with a nylock nut & stainless screw. I couldn't find the right length of screw so I cut off the excess after tightening.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Focker wrote:If you use the mirror a lot (like I do) go long. With the longer stem I don't have to tuck in my arm/body to see behind me...If that's not a concern then go short. I would recommended the bar mount vs the perch style.

Plus:
Instead of using lock tight on the elbow joint nut...I simply replace the standard nut with a nylock nut & stainless screw. I couldn't find the right length of screw so I cut off the excess after tightening.
I almost never ride my XR on the street, generally only to connect trails. Since I usually ride sweep, I don't use my mirror much except to watch for faster riders coming up on me from behind.

It seems that the shorter stem would be sufficient for this and would be less likely to snag on branches and/or hit the dirt when I go down. shrug

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 am

Yeti wrote:
Focker wrote:If you use the mirror a lot (like I do) go long. With the longer stem I don't have to tuck in my arm/body to see behind me...If that's not a concern then go short. I would recommended the bar mount vs the perch style.

Plus:
I almost never ride my XR on the street, generally only to connect trails. Since I usually ride sweep, I don't use my mirror much except to watch for faster riders coming up on me from behind.

It seems that the shorter stem would be sufficient for this and would be less likely to snag on branches and/or hit the dirt when I go down. shrug

Yeah It will be fine. I ride street quite a bit also and find the short arm to be perfect for me.

Just my 2 cents

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:22 am

It also depends on the width of your girth. I am 6'2" and like the longer ones. With my bars and perch, (I have a mount that is seperate from the clutch perch) you have about an inch or more to adjust how far the mirror sticks out. When I ride dirt I fold the mirror down. I carry an allen wrench so I can lock the mirror down and out of the way. With out locking it down it shakes, rattles, etc. PS the bolts that come with the KTM are soft aluminum and I striped out the allen head, I recomend changing nut/bolt as focker suggests.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Coolio, thanks for the replies all! Mirror is on order.

Back to top Go down

KTM Folding Mirrors Empty Where to order

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:43 am

Are you guys ordering through the Moto Science site, or is there another link/person to check out?

It's time for a new mirror for me, already. I just discovered the weak link of the Baja Designs mirror - the pivot point. Man, I did not even crash. It simply broke off while riding down the slab (too many limb whacks, I guess). Luckily, the rubber piece that covers the pivot point and tightening nuts kept the mirror from hitting the deck in traffic.

TIA

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:35 am

Dave P wrote:Are you guys ordering through the Moto Science site, or is there another link/person to check out?
Yes...Just e-mail Henri through his web site - Moto Science.

Last edited by Focker on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link Update)
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks.

I'll tell him you sent me over.

Dave

Back to top Go down