Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Go down

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota Empty A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2009 2:37 am

Hi all! I've been lurking awhile but finally comitted. Having waited for the right moment (and price range) to buy my piggie I am now the proud owner of an '01 XR650R. No pics yet but I'm looking forward to this winter (?) so I can do a proper tear down and make it truly mine. It was bought from the original owner who, as he put it "bit off more than I could chew." Hasn't been uncorked yet and still has the factory tires on it.. low miles! He got spooked when he took it off road and flipped it... "I didn't expect that wheelie" he said. Only damage to it was a bent handlebar, compression release lever and a few scratches. After his "awakening of the beast" he promply garaged it and only fired it up here and there to drive around town and to keep the engine lubed. The only real wear on the tires is from asphault... and even then hardly any at all!! So anyway, I'm in the middle of moving and don't have time to work on it right now.... Crying or Very sad But! I finally got it and soon the real fun will begin!! Pics will be posted in time and a few trips are already planned out. Can't wait to share, and to those who have thank you! It's been a real pleasure reading all the stories and looking at all the great bikes! Oh and I've read your tales of the VW Focker (if he's still around)... and I believe he will be back. I had a XR600R back in the day... and getting rid of it was the worst thing I did. Hand plenty of cars, trucks and other bikes since then but I ALWAYS found myself thinking of my ol' piggie. So here I am, in my thirties and eager to get back on the bacon.
Aku

Back to top Go down

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota Empty Re: A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2009 3:22 am

Akunin:

Congrats on the new pig! It's easy to see you are stoked!!

Get some picts up, for sure.

Dave

Back to top Go down

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota Empty Re: A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2009 3:47 am

Dave P wrote:Akunin:

Congrats on the new pig! It's easy to see you are stoked!!

Get some picts up, for sure.

Dave

Oh I will! After having so many other bikes its nice to be back to one that... just felt right!! It's so versitle that you can't go wrong! After this is up and going, it's gonna get plated but mostly be for off road use,,, till I get another one to be just my mud piggie. So, yeah, I'm really stoked! I'll be sharing pics throughout the transformation when I can get it underway!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2009 5:59 am

Alright!

I miss my XR600R, as well. I guess one could call that a "forced sale." Pick one: The wife and kid, or the XRR. Well, don't answer that... Frustrated

When you get a chance, tell us your plans for tires, jetting, farkles and all that fun stuff! Heck, the gear is half the fun, esp. with a BRP. BRP smile

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Dave P wrote:Alright!
I miss my XR600R, as well. I guess one could call that a "forced sale." Pick one: The wife and kid, or the XRR. Well, don't answer that... Frustrated

When you get a chance, tell us your plans for tires, jetting, farkles and all that fun stuff! Heck, the gear is half the fun, esp. with a BRP. BRP smile

Dave

Hmm... the departing of the XR600 sounds familiar. Though mine was just a girlfriend who wanted me to go with a crotch rocket... she didn't like the XR cause, (wait for it)....... didn't like getting dirty! Shocked Yeah.. what was I thinking?? Ahh, foolish youth. listen up If only we could turn back the clock eh?
Well dispite all the info on carbs I'm torn between getting the Edelbrock vs keeping the OEM. I like the idea of the new carb mostly cause, well... it's new! I hear throttle response is on the verge of precognition but then I hear the stock carb is a real beast... as long as it doesn't get to lay on its side (as with many). Any thoughts?

Back to top Go down

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota Empty Carbs

Post  Guest Sun May 24, 2009 5:38 am

Yeah, turning back the clock would be nice. I can't imagine the number of folks that would instantly have their XRRs back!

I've only ridden with the stock carb, and after reading ~10,000 posts on non-OEM carb "upgrades", my brain is still clouded with indecision. One thing is for sure. Yes, the stock carb does not like being horizontal. It's easy enough to clear, depending on where you happened to come off. Very Happy

Hopefully our carb masters offer some insight.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 25, 2009 5:37 pm

Dave P wrote:Yeah, turning back the clock would be nice. I can't imagine the number of folks that would instantly have their XRRs back!

I've only ridden with the stock carb, and after reading ~10,000 posts on non-OEM carb "upgrades", my brain is still clouded with indecision. One thing is for sure. Yes, the stock carb does not like being horizontal. It's easy enough to clear, depending on where you happened to come off. Very Happy

Hopefully our carb masters offer some insight.

Dave

Yeah, It seems like a real toss up. Oh well, plenty of other things to look over in the mean time!! Thanks for the input Dave! Oh, and just noticed your from Arizona! Guess I don't need to tell you how lucky you are to have all that good riding down there! I've been trying to convince the "extremely allergy stricken GF" to consider moving down that way! What I wouldn't give to have my jeep and my BRP tearing it up around that area. Was in Yuma and Phoenix a few years back... just loved it!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 am

Man, your jeep and BRP would love it here! Tell your GF there are no allergies to be had in S. AZ. Heck, we have even banned Mulberry and other exotic trees that make folks sneeze. Very Happy

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 3:24 am

Dave P wrote:Man, your jeep and BRP would love it here! Tell your GF there are no allergies to be had in S. AZ. Heck, we have even banned Mulberry and other exotic trees that make folks sneeze. Very Happy

Dave

LOL, we are talking about that right now! She loves your points.. too much actually.. uh oh.. Shocked I gotta go. I think she's packing...

Back to top Go down

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota Empty really?

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 5:03 pm

We looked into moving to Tucson awhile back because my wife has asthma and my oldest daughter has a severe grass pollen allergy. But it turns out Tucson has been a victim of its own success. I think I read the advantage was that most of or nearly all of the native plants reproduced through animals and insect interaction. But since all the people wanting clean air moved there, the pollen has increased by orders of magnitude. I think Tucson was 65th last year in pollen. Why? Turns out all those people moving there for the clean air brought their offending plants with them, like olive trees and what not.

One of the country's major newspapers did a story on it recently.

Great place though and I'd live there in a heart beat if I could transfer my work.

Dave P wrote:Man, your jeep and BRP would love it here! Tell your GF there are no allergies to be had in S. AZ. Heck, we have even banned Mulberry and other exotic trees that make folks sneeze. Very Happy

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Welcome mang rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 4:31 am

So I fabricated most of that story. Very Happy

The state has dropped the hammer on many of the exotics, though. Olives and mulberries were at the top of the list. I believe various citrus species have been banned, as well.

It seems the two nasties are ragweed and desert broom (and "valley fever") They are very abundant.

My wife has bad reactions to pollen, but she generally only suffers for a brief period, when everything is in bloom. Getting rid of our mulberry and olive trees helped a lot.

Bump wrote:We looked into moving to Tucson awhile back because my wife has asthma and my oldest daughter has a severe grass pollen allergy. But it turns out Tucson has been a victim of its own success. I think I read the advantage was that most of or nearly all of the native plants reproduced through animals and insect interaction. But since all the people wanting clean air moved there, the pollen has increased by orders of magnitude. I think Tucson was 65th last year in pollen. Why? Turns out all those people moving there for the clean air brought their offending plants with them, like olive trees and what not.

Great place though and I'd live there in a heart beat if I could transfer my work.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 4:53 am

Dave P wrote:So I fabricated most of that story. Very Happy

The state has dropped the hammer on many of the exotics, though. Olives and mulberries were at the top of the list. I believe various citrus species have been banned, as well.

It seems the two nasties are ragweed and desert broom (and "valley fever") They are very abundant.

My wife has bad reactions to pollen, but she generally only suffers for a brief period, when everything is in bloom. Getting rid of our mulberry and olive trees helped a lot.

Bump wrote:We looked into moving to Tucson awhile back because my wife has asthma and my oldest daughter has a severe grass pollen allergy. But it turns out Tucson has been a victim of its own success. I think I read the advantage was that most of or nearly all of the native plants reproduced through animals and insect interaction. But since all the people wanting clean air moved there, the pollen has increased by orders of magnitude. I think Tucson was 65th last year in pollen. Why? Turns out all those people moving there for the clean air brought their offending plants with them, like olive trees and what not.

Dave

LOL, still nothing compared to what we deal with here! Fell in love with Arizona awhile back and have been thinking of moving down towards the Phoenix area, in any event... can't wait to go riding!

Back to top Go down

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota Empty I laughed so hard I snorkeled!

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm still laughing!!!

Dave P wrote:So I fabricated most of that story. Very Happy

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:37 am

Back on the bacon! Figured I'd update this and as redundant as it might seem I made a new thread for the '03 XRR. When I created this thread all seemed good and I finally had the bike I had wanted for years! Well a shit storm hit my world and in a nutshell the XR I had when I created this thread had to go. beat head 

Well 4 years later I'm back with some new bacon! Sorry in advance for the extra thread but I wanted to move on but at the same time remember what almost was. So I'll update the '02 bikes thread with all the new goodies. Vapor, Baja designs kit and more. Smile can't wait!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:05 am

2013 was the last time I posted.. has it really been that long? Wow! Sure doesn't feel like it. Well in that time I've had 4 other motorcycles but my favorite is still my XRR. Something about that old bike just makes me grin every time I get on it. Well a quick update for those who still lurk. My son turn 18 this July and since 2013 he had worked a summer job and bought himself a very nice single owner XRR. A few years since then and he still loves his bike as well. I'll let him create his own thread but I've been busy with mine during that time and next week I plan on giving the ol' girl a upgrade! A friend of mine has an XRR too and he inspired me with his new Lectron gen 2 carburetor. Holy crap did that wake the BRP!! So not 2 days after riding his I ordered one of my own.

The way she appeared last fall. Spring can't get her soon enough!

A new BRP in the Black Hills of South Dakota 20180524-133202

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:08 am

Welcome back I check here every day for new posts, please let us know how the Lectron carb works out, pictures would be so good. I have seen them advertised but not really looked at them any further...I like my stock carb. Mines all set for spring which looking out of the window it's just around the corner lol.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:04 pm

They sure are crazy expensive but after riding my friends it really blew my mind. I know on 2 strokes they help with mpg and I did notice his was better than mine (stock uncorked) but the overall smoothness in performance was very noticeable. Felt so close to a fuel injected system. I've always gone through my carbs after a riding season so come spring it's always ready to go, so this will be interesting. How the Lectron handles elevation changes has me the most excited and I'll post plenty of pictures and my brutally honest opinion of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down