Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howdy from Virginia

Go down

Howdy from Virginia Empty Howdy from Virginia

Post  Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Just saying hey y'all. From rural southwest virginia. I have a plated 2001 xr and now trying to get the bike road legal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Virginia Empty Re: Howdy from Virginia

Post  Guest Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 am

Welcome to the forum alibi..... Howdy from Virginia 16397

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Virginia Empty Street Legal recommendations

Post  Guest Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi and welcome!

As the requirements can vary greatly from state to state you'll need to educate us on what is required in Virginia. Most of the BRPs made were sold in Southern California and many here were plated. Also, many got a lot of parts spun out of the Team Honda program.

Fortunate for you is that one of the very best BRP suppliers anywhere is in your backyard. I think it's called Dual Sport Armory. One of the guys there is on this forum and I've never heard anything bad about them.

So tell us what EXACTLY you need to satisify your state's reqs. Then tell us what else you want the bike to do well and I'm sure you'll get plenty of useful information. Also tell us your budget. Not as in dollars but as in how neat you want it to be. I've noticed that different parts of the country tend to modify the bike in somewhat predictable ways. For example, So Cal tends to take a minimalist approach to add-ons and a maximum approach to power. The NW seems to like stock power and lots of armor. The SE tends to have a, well, you've seen the redneck pictures of ways to engineer stuff. The SW tends to create a bike with some armor and maximum reliability. Not surprising since those guys seem to get the farthest out there. The NE doesn't seem to have a ton of them but the ones I see pictures of seem to be ridden pretty hard. So it seems like a tough group up there. There; I'm sure that has pissed of a few people. BRP smile

Just remember that this bike was designed to one thing and one thing only. And that is to go very fast in the most stable and predictable manner in the deserts of California, Nevada, and Baja, Mexico without breaking down for a whole season. It was never engineered to ride on the street, or the woods, or anything else. So when you modify it to work outside its' core mission you will be making compromises.

The absolute worst thing you can do to the bike is add weight. The best thing you can do is Precision Concepts suspension, HRC kit, and Team Honda carb jetting.

The only for sure must do is the right footpeg fix (safety) and the carb jetting (mental health).

alibi wrote:Just saying hey y'all. From rural southwest virginia. I have a plated 2001 xr and now trying to get the bike road legal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 2:08 am

However as much as I agree with you Bump, I have managed to make a good woods bike out of mine and havn't looked back since. Love the PIG inthe woods!

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Virginia Empty I agree!

Post  Guest Thu May 06, 2010 4:56 am

More specifically, what I was implying was that most of the parts out there are for the Dez scene since Scott Summers fired his dad or whatever happened there to close them down. Perhaps because I'm tall but I too find the bike easy in the woods so long as the gearing dry lake stuff.

Thumper GUY wrote:However as much as I agree with you Bump, I have managed to make a good woods bike out of mine and havn't looked back since. Love the PIG inthe woods!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down