Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems???

Go down

Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems??? Empty Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems???

Post  Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 am

I live in Orange County Ca, been shopping around for about a year for a clean street plated XR650R, found one and traded a clean KAWI ZRX1200R strait across for it. Ive owned 2 other XRRs in the past and this is the cleanest one Ive had. Anyways i got the bike and knowing it needed a stator and carb cleaned. The guy had a ELECTROSPORT stator installed on the bike, I cleaned the carb and started right up first kick, ran for a few mins and died, took apart the stator cover and saw the wires were rubbing in the stator cover, FIXED THAT, bike ran great for 4 days, now it has no spark, I have checked all the stator wires with my multi meter and went through the whole harness wire by wire, all looks good and I have power going to everything. Put it all back together and the bike ran great again for 2 days, I parked it and went out the next day to go for a ride and NO SPARK AGAIN. CHECKED EVERYTHING AGAIN, all looks good. ?????????????????????
COULD THE CDI BE DEAD? OR COIL? does this happen to these bike ever??
ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

PLEASE HELP, I WANT TO RIDE THIS THING BAD. so sad. lol.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, FOR ANY HELP.

Back to top Go down

Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems??? Empty Re: Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems???

Post  Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:39 am

Dan,

Easy: disconnect the 2 (or 4 wires, depending on what E'sports stator you have) which go to all the power-functions (regulator, light etc) and only keep the ignition coil's wires connected.
Start & go ride, with some tools (multi) and see if something goes wrong. You will know the power and ignition circuits are totally individual, and finding things this way is easiest.
I'd check for moist or water around the CDI-unit's connector first, and no, these things don't throw the towel normally - but can always do of course.
Ride with a small tank (easier off) and feel the coil's temp the moment it dies - getting warm a bit? Coils do break sometimes, having a spare to swap would help.
Goodluck finding the cause, normally it's something silly only.

Mind though, you mentioned scuffed wires there where the wires exit the stator-cover. This place you better re-check, as scuffing indicates movement - and there shouldn't be any here!

Back to top Go down

Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems??? Empty Re: Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems???

Post  Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:25 pm

BuRP wrote:Dan,

Easy: disconnect the 2 (or 4 wires, depending on what E'sports stator you have) which go to all the power-functions (regulator, light etc) and only keep the ignition coil's wires connected.
Start & go ride, with some tools (multi) and see if something goes wrong. You will know the power and ignition circuits are totally individual, and finding things this way is easiest.
I'd check for moist or water around the CDI-unit's connector first, and no, these things don't throw the towel normally - but can always do of course.
Ride with a small tank (easier off) and feel the coil's temp the moment it dies - getting warm a bit? Coils do break sometimes, having a spare to swap would help.
Goodluck finding the cause, normally it's something silly only.

Mind though, you mentioned scuffed wires there where the wires exit the stator-cover. This place you better re-check, as scuffing indicates movement - and there shouldn't be any here!

Thank you, ill try this as soon as I have the time later today. I have triple checked all the wiring and there is no moisture around the CDI or in the stator cover, All my wiring is good, no exposed wires, as for the scuffed stator wiring, that is due to unexperience, the guy who installed the ES STATOR, did not tuck any of the wiring, so the flywheel rubbed some of the wires, THATS ALL FIXED.

SO WEIRD, I have never had this problem before and I have owned MANY MANY BIKES.
will let you know what happens k.
THANKS AGAIN.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:57 pm

I took my CDI and plugged it in a buddy's XRR and NO FIRE. Tried it 3 different times and every time the bike started up with his CDI. So looks like the CDI is toast.

Ordering a new CDI ASAP.

I hope its just the CDI and nothing more, ill post again when I install the new CDI BOX.

THANKS.

Back to top Go down

Just purchased a Ca plated 2000 650r. problems??? Empty UPDATE.. PROBLEM SOLVED

Post  Guest Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Just got a new, well used factory CDI box, and she fired first kick.

I have owned a lot of bikes in my time as well as 2 BRPs, The weird part about this CDI problem is that the bike actually ran way under powered. Is this common when CDI starts to go bad the bike actually runs UNDERPOWERED? The bike would start and run one day and the next day it would have NO FIRE, NO SPARK, but the bike never popped or sputtered or died on me, I noticed that the NEW FACTORY CDI box in the bike it runs WAY WAY FASTER, WAY MORE POWER. weird.

OFF TO TERRORIZE THE STREETS OF ORANGE COUNTY NOW.

ANY LOCAL SO CAL ORANGE COUNTY GUYS THAT WANNA RIDE HIT ME UP. SOUTH COUNTY, BEACH CITIES AREA.
would be cool to ride with other XRR OWNERS.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down