Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

buying a 2000 XR 650R

Go down

buying a 2000 XR 650R Empty buying a 2000 XR 650R

Post  Guest Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:06 pm

I am looking at a 2000 XR650R. I know the basic stuff to look for on a used bike, is there is anything spicific I should look for on a XRR. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Back to top Go down

buying a 2000 XR 650R Empty I like to look for the little things

Post  Guest Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:25 pm

By that I mean the stuff that tells me what sort of maintenance person the owner is. So I tend to look at cables, spokes, I ask about power washing (I would rather it not have happened), inquire about extra air filters to see if they use spares, I like to only buy from guys who use OEM filters too, and so forth. I look for any sort of marks to the bottom of the frame and on any sort of area the suspension might mark if it bottoms out. I look at the rest of the seller's setup. If he has the cheapest gear and tools money can buy, he likely ain't splurging on maintaining his scoot. Fasteners will sometimes show this as well. Does he use pliers when a wrench is called for?
Look in the air box. Clean and oily, or dirty and oily?

I rode with a guy for 20 years who does this:
He buys a new bike
He removes all the OEM plastic and stickers very carefully.
He puts on the cheapest UFO plastic he can find
He puts protectors on places that will show wear like frame guards, clutch guards and so forth
He rides the hell out of it, races it, generally abuses it
Then when the next year's model comes out he puts all the OEM stuff back on, adds new tires, strips off all the good stuff he's added like triple clamps, damper, pipe, etc., sells all the parts on eBay, and sells the scoot as gently used and fanatically maintained
He's got two bikes on ADV now that way.

I don't believe anything that doesn't show receipts. For example, if the seller claims his pig has Precision Concepts suspension, I say and mean, "Great, let's take it there right now so I can have the suspension freshened up and verify the PC stuff. They are friends of mine!)

Mostly I kinda go on gut feel. Like this guys says: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell If the guy seems like he maintains all his stuff properly then he's likely a good seller. Unless of course he does sales for a living... Some of those guys fit the old George Burns quotation:
"Sincerity is key. Once you can fake that you've got it made." Though there are about 10 versions of that line attributed to 10 different people.

Back to top Go down

buying a 2000 XR 650R Empty Re: buying a 2000 XR 650R

Post  Guest Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 am

I just did a trade for a 2001 XR. Some things I looked for was how were the upgrades completed, craftmanship goes a long way in telling if the bike was taken care of. In this case, I looked closesly at the electrical upgrades. The previous owner added a cooling fan, DOT lights...etc...The connections had shrink wrap on them, wire ties around the wire loom covers to keep them tight and from rubbing against other parts. I also took it for a short ride around a paved parking lot...I could hear if anything was loose or not normal in the motor. Also on level ground you can tell if the suspension or frame is tweaked because the bike will want to lean to go straight...etc...This one I found turned out to be a good find. It was clean, good craftmanship on the mods and he produced a manual with dirty pages showing it was opened and used...

The only thing I found wrong...the coolant level was just a little low.

Back to top Go down

buying a 2000 XR 650R Empty Re: buying a 2000 XR 650R

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down