Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XRR Problems

Go down

XRR Problems Empty XRR Problems

Post  Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 am

The bike ran great last year in Colorado came home put the old jets back in. Started and took it around the block ran great. Went on a 200 mile ride last weekend then the problem came up. Started and ran down the road and it just died. Kicked several times and it started ran for 15 mins and died again and again. We took the tank off cleaned the carb bowel, put it all back together and took off ran great for a little longer. We thought we had her fixed and then she died again. Ate lunch and guessed what she never died again ran all the way back 80 miles. I bought this bike last year and talked to the guy and he said it did that to him before he did all the DS conversions, new stator, small battery and lights. Not to sure about all the wiring for the new stator and lights. I have checked the coil or the CDI. I did take the spark plug out and cleaned it before the trip and it had not seen water till we got back. I did take the seat and the tank off to rejet it could I have done something to the wiring harness. Not sure what to look for. I have read on here of similar problems is this something that happens all the time to these bikes.

Back to top Go down

XRR Problems Empty Re: XRR Problems

Post  Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 am

Have a look at the inside of the fuel line between the tank and carb, the hose may have separated internally allowing a flap to create a low flow situation?
Unless its kinked of course.
Have seen this on other bikes..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 am

Zoro wrote:Have a look at the inside of the fuel line between the tank and carb, the hose may have separated internally allowing a flap to create a low flow situation?
Unless its kinked of course.
Have seen this on other bikes..

Well I don't think its the fuel line, because it runs different. One time it runs for a short while and then again it would run for miles, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to look.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:24 am

does sound most likely an intermittent wiring problem if it stopped doing it after the DS kit was installed and started again after you disturbed things getting to the carb. To check electrics out first do a visual inspection for anything obvious like chaffed wires, sharp bends where the wire may have broken inside the insulation, pins pulling out the back of connectors, undo ground wire connections to the frame and make sure the surface is clean and no paint. Next step is to get a wiring diagram and start disconnecting connectors and checking each wire length pin to pin for continuity and pin to frame for shorts (except for ground connections of course), also pin to pin at each connector for shorts within the wiring bundle on within the connectors.

I'd start with the wiring under the seat...

That'll keep you busy for a bit Wink

Regards,
SKidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down