Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K&N filter?? Running rich??

Go down

K&N filter?? Running rich?? Empty K&N filter?? Running rich??

Post  Guest Sat May 10, 2014 8:25 am

I know all the arguments about using K&N off road,  blah  but that isn't what this post is about.

Just sharing this to help anyone cleaning and re-oiling their K&N air filter...... listen up 

I've cleaned and serviced the bike including a carb clean and refurb. It then began running rich.

After fiddling around with the jetting I thought about the air filter again.

When i cleaned it I used the recharge kit with the cleaner and squeezy bottle of oil. I followed the directions  study  but they don't tell you how much oii to use. I squeezed what I thought was a SMALL amount on each pleat on each side. The filter turned that lovely red colour I thought all was ok.

However  this turned out to be way too much oil.  doh 

I later checked out their website which says the filter only needs 17ml of oil.

This seemed a ridiculously small amount but I thought I'd give it a go. I cleaned the filter again, and this time used a syringe to measure out the oil and applied it to the pleats on the dirty side only.

It didn't look like it was nearly enough, but leave it to sit for a little while and it does wick throughout the whole filter. Very Happy 

So if you've got a K&N and you're running rich, before you play about with the carb, have a think about the filter!  nice

Back to top Go down

K&N filter?? Running rich?? Empty Re: K&N filter?? Running rich??

Post  Mauser Sat May 10, 2014 9:18 am

I run BMC filters on my ZX12-R...similar to K&N and I use the spray oil; after cleaning the filters you just spray it over the surface and job done ?....thanks for posting as I am sure it will help out others....
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down