Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r

Go down

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Empty help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r

Post  Guest Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:03 am

Gday everyone. i have decided to run a full DC system on my 650. need any diagrams or suggestions on redoing the whole loom and installing a key switch (or hidden toggle switch to cut power to everything - like a key would)
i have a diagram from the web on a full dc system but i think its a yank one.
any aussies on here that can help?
do i need to keep the oem regulator or can i remove it as ill be doing full dc?
also need a new light/ indicator/ horn switch, which are good ones to replace with?
thanks in advance for any and all help, cheers.

Back to top Go down

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Empty Re: help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r

Post  Mauser Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Whats wrong with stock switch gear ?, you won't find a better version out there ?.....you will always need a regulator to maintain your 12 volts from your stator otherwise you could over cook your battery.
Stock light is good with a decent bulb in it, specially if your upgrading your stator ?....as for key switch it can be wired into either the kill switch for the bike or if your having a battery then I would guess somewhere between the battery and the supply to the rest of the loom/supply to stator.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Empty Re: help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r

Post  Guest Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:44 pm

I run a full DC BRP with the electrexworld 300W threpases stator, and his rectifier.
I don't run a battery but a capacitor, so I don't need fuses or switch

only an issue.. at idle the voltage isn't very high.. about 10v

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:55 am

Dont know if this will help or the one you are referring to, I think I found it in the XR thread on Advrider. If I recall it was based on a ricky stator. The wiring colours look like the ones used on the European version even though I recall it being installed on a US type XRR.

I think you should probably float the "ground" though not use the chassis as in this diagram.

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Xr650r12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:41 am

Appleseed,

that's a full DC conversion.... so by all means use the frame for ground, no problem at all!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 am

Ok, I thought the cdi and coil ran on ac hence the reason for floating the ground.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Appleseed, thats true if running half ac and half dc.
thanks for the comments, yes that is the diagram i was referring to. got a bloke here that races 24hr enduros and he's gonna give it a squiz over for me and hope itll crack straight in. just one other question, what do i connect the wires from the regulator to, battery one but the other, ground?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:02 pm

yes i answered that last one myself, now been trying to find a heavy duty regulator online but cant, Ricky stator apparently does one but not on their website?? any brand suggestions, do honda do a factory heavy duty one for the xr650r?

so many questions but better to ask and know than trying to pluck it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:13 pm

I looked at these when considering a full dc conversion
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/G443-RR17.html the reg/rec (rr17)is available separately .
http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Regulator_Rectifier.html#a7004_2dRR150
both appear to be designed to have a battery connected to the DC output of the reg/rec, then you supply all the "stuff" directly from the battery.

I think the ricky one has the highest wattage rating, but they were more expensive if i remember (from a UK perspective anyhow). The trailtech looked best but talked about requiring a floated ground.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:12 pm

I have this one on my bike with both legs of a Ricky stator going through it. I run a full DC system feeding lights and a fan setup running solid for 6 hours riding in the dunes with no problems. I like the regulator with the built in relay because it disconnects the battery after the bike shuts off so if you have any draws it wont kill your battery.

http://www.trailtech.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=switched+regulator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:35 pm

I have the electrex one, you can buy it as a kit with the reg/rect. It installed easily and works great. You gonna install it with a larger capacitor or battery?

SkidMark

Back to top Go down

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Empty dc conversion not working properly

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 am

Gday everyone, i have rewired my bike 4 times now checking connections etc and lights and indicators dull right off to the point of not glowing at revs. this is what i have done, i have a ricky stator 200w and what i guess is a trail tech reg/rec (5 cables) . the stator and reg/rec came together in my RS DC conversion kit, ok here we go,
from the stator the two green are connected together joining onto a yellow wire to the reg/rec, the two white wires from stator are joined and connected to other yellow wire to reg/rec. I have a fuse in line on the positive wire from the reg/rec which is then connected to positive that i have attached all accessories to, the black wire from the reg/rec is connected to negative on battery then runs the length of bike which i have grounded all accessories to. the kill switch is earthed to frame. am i missing something or is the reg/rec not coping with the 200watt stator a sat idle all lights are fine but as soon as i rev the bike all lights dim down then no lights at all. has anyone in Australia done a full DC conversion and if so help please and of course any help from anyone as well please. a diagram would be great and i have looked on net but none of those are working for me. i need ot get on the road or off the road to be more to the point but cant atm due to this electrical drama.
oh and the red/yellow wire from reg/rec i am not using.

Last edited by endurogue74 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:01 am

Your best bet is to do things 1 stage at a time, disconnect everything and start from the stator and get your AC output going to your regulator and then to the CDI/Coil get the bike running first then. The CDI doesn't need DC and the bike should work ?....
Then start adding circuits 1 at a time till you hit the dimmed lights problem.....
I take it you still have the original regulator somewhere ?....if not does the 5 wire 1 have a ground then AC +/- in and then DC +/- out ? for the other 4 connections ?, are they marked up or not ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Empty ref: dc conversion

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:14 am

Gday Mauser, i have removed the stock reg, i only have battery, and reg/rec supplied with my rewound stator. thought that was what the new reg/rec does convert AC to DC, the reg/rec has 5 wires, two yellow (connect to stator) red (positive) red/yellow (relayed positive) and black (ground) which is not earthed to frame instead i have ran a black wire to it connecting all grounds from all accessories. I believe this is what is meant by floating the earth?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 am

I didn't think the bike would run on DC only, mines only AC and the CDI runs from it just regulated AC....anyway if the bike runs it runs lol.....are the 2 yellow wires supposed to be separated to the stators 2 winding circuits ?.....or are you combining the 2 stator circuits together to give 1 large AC supply to the reg/rectifier ?....200watts ?....
Difficult to work out what's wrong unless your there in front of the bike...sorry
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Empty .

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 am

Yes the two AC wires are joined to make one 200w into the reg/rec, i have just read that the reg/rec from trailtech (one i have fitted) is rated 150w full wave. this reg/rec came with the rewound 200watt stator, is this reg/rec too weak ? if so why would ricky stator do that. also if i need a higher wave reg/rec where could i get one from?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:37 am

200W windings into a 150W R/R?
Yeah, that'll work.... for some minutes, if lucky a few hours.
Mind, bring some meat to fry on the R/R, any spices are optional.

No bru, won't be reliable.
Got dual 100W windings?
Connect one only ie 100W, it's plenty in most cases.
Leave the 2nd winding not connected, just isolate the wires.
Or, use the 2nd for your headlight only.
Got a single 200W winding?
Then get a Ricky Stator R/R too, they sell them, a 200W unit of course.

Mind though, if you ALWAYS have a 50W-or-bigger user On (say a big headlight) then there's no problem!
The problem comes in when the headlight fails though, as you need to shed 50W minimum at all times.
Your choice, but I'd do one of the aforementioned things (use 100W only for DC) or I'd get a bigger R/R.

Back to top Go down

help please - ricky stator dc wiring australian xr650r Empty .

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Burp, cheers.
ill stick with the one 200w winding as there's only one system to worry about and over here at night you need all the light you can get at night due to roos, wombats foxes emus etc that run out in front or the side of you and better having full bright light all the time not only when revs are high like it is with AC. ill search for a 250w rated r/r and run with that. cheers for your comments, the r/r was my only fault left to why lights dimmed off and its confirmed now.
bonza mate, stay safe and enjoy the riding.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:58 pm

I don't think your r/r is causing your poor lighting.....unless they exceed 150watts ?....me thinks you have another problem.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down