Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

engine noise normal or not

Go down

engine noise normal or not Empty engine noise normal or not

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 pm

So, this is my first 4Stroke dirf bike. I have rode 2strokes every since just have been a kid. I recently bought a 2006 xr650r one owner bike. I liked the idea of having a dirt bike with a licence plate on it. I haven't rode it to much since I bought it.  I had shoulder surgery and still recovering. I did take it out for a ride a few days ago. While going easy up thru the gears not over reving it I noticed a noise like a slapping/knocking noise coming from the motor.  The oil was changed and valves adjusted recent at the dealership.  I never recall hearing this noise before. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. There is no noise while it sits at a idle.  And when you rev it up sitting there you dont hear any noise. Just doesn't sound right to me and I dont want to do any damage to the motor. It sounds more like a clacking then a knocking.  Any way a valve spring collapsing making the noise.  Thanks.
   yeah, I hope I am just being paranoid and hearing things. The more I think about it it sounds more of a clacking then knocking. I was wounding maybe a valve spring collapsing when the revs go up.and the valves clacking. I just not used to hearing this noise coming from a motor.  I still have my kx500 and no noise like this has ever come from it. 

Last edited by welovesocalbuzz.sanderson on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:36 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more information)

Back to top Go down

engine noise normal or not Empty Re: engine noise normal or not

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Chain too loose ? Decompressor cable too tight ?
Hard to tell from here i would need to hear the bike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:Chain too loose ? Decompressor cable too tight ?
Hard to tell from here  i would need to hear the bike.
. Thanks for the information. If the decompression cable to tight would that make the noise when u get up to higher rpm. How about the cam chain also. No noise while just sitting an idling.  Just when I rmps go up while riding.  Driving me crazy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Sounds like slack chain or more than likely riding too slow with to high gearing fitted...my bike sounded/ran terrible with SM set-up running slow as you can get to the stag that the rev's and speed are so low the bike is almost stalling and causing her to chug along rather than being smooth....what gearing is she wearing ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:07 pm

Mauser wrote:Sounds like slack chain or more than likely riding too slow with to high gearing fitted...my bike sounded/ran terrible with SM set-up running slow as you can get to the stag that the rev's and speed are so low the bike is almost stalling and causing her to chug along rather than being smooth....what gearing is she wearing ? Thanks for the reply.  No not lugging the motor.  I hear the noise in all the gears. Not over reving the motor but it's when you get up higher rmp. The pig has stock gearing.  If the cam chain was loose wouldn't it make noise all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:06 am

Wish I could record the noise from the motor. Maybe try hooking up the gopro down by the motor and see if it picks up the noise going down the street

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Mine sounds the same way, sounds like its going to blow up. I have pulled the complete top end off looking for loose chain, piston slap, bad cam, then I pulled the side covers looking for any sign of metal particulate indicating something coming apart. Everything was perfect no mechanical gremlins whatsoever. I have been riding it for two seasons since then trail riding, dual sport trips and supermoto with no problems. I do have a metal skid plate that seems to accentuate any mechanical noise produced by the motor but other than that it runs perfect and there is no sign of any metal wear in the oil. My friend has a 650 as well and his has some noise but not as loud as mine. When we race he can never seem to keep up with me with the same gearing so I can only conclude that noise equals power rider

Keep the valves in check and watch the oil for any signs of a problem, other than that just ride it. The engine is almost indestructible if maintained.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:53 pm

ooeddym wrote:Mine sounds the same way, sounds like its going to blow up.  I have pulled the complete top end off looking for loose chain, piston slap, bad cam, then I pulled the side covers looking for any sign of metal particulate indicating something coming apart.  Everything was perfect no mechanical gremlins whatsoever.  I have been riding it for two seasons since then trail riding, dual sport trips and supermoto with no problems.  I do have a metal skid plate that seems to accentuate any mechanical noise produced by the motor but other than that it runs perfect and there is no sign of any metal wear in the oil.  My friend has a 650 as well and his has some noise but not as loud as mine.  When we race he can never seem to keep up with me with the same gearing so I can only conclude that noise equals power rider   yeah, I hope I am just being paranoid and hearing things. The more I think about it it sounds more of a clacking then knocking. I was wounding maybe a valve spring collapsing when the revs go up.and the valves clacking. I just not used to hearing this noise coming from a motor.  I still have my kx500 and no noise like this has ever come from it.

Keep the valves in check and watch the oil for any signs of a problem, other than that just ride it.  The engine is almost indestructible if maintained.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:25 am

yeah, I hope I am just being paranoid and hearing things. The more I think about it it sounds more of a clacking then knocking. I was wounding maybe a valve spring collapsing when the revs go up.and the valves clacking. I just not used to hearing this noise coming from a motor.  I still have my kx500 and no noise like this has ever come from it. 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:19 am

Its definitely and noisy motor. I have mechanical OCD so any sound I feel shouldn't be there drives me nuts but I cant find anything wrong and it runs great.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:57 am

Ok... I guess I will just keep a eye on the valves and change the oil often and just ride it like I stole it. ..

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down