Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire sizes

Go down

Tire sizes Empty Tire sizes

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi all,

This is probably a stupid question but hey ill-informed people ask stupid questions.  beat head ..

Any how I have two set of wheels, one set was intend to be used for dual sporting/not mud the other for mainly off road.

Currently though I run the same front irrespective of the type of riding.
The front is a mitas E10 90/90 21 which for those that dont know looks like a tkc80 (assuming we all know those..) and works fine on the road and good on most stuff except muddy ruts (my pet hate  angry ).
My one rear runs a mefo super explorer (140/80/18) which is fine for road, hard pack and some softer terrain (but not mud or wet clay)

My other rear runs an ac10 which I think is a 120/90/18 (it came with the bike)

I noticed that recently (while doing some motorway miles) that if I go over 65-70mph when running the Mefo the bike felt like it was on the verge of a tank slapper, it seemed to depend on how strong the cross winds were but I just put it down to the mitas being a bit rubbish at speed.

Anyhow on Friday I put my ac10 back on to done some lanes (Cambridgeshire is a generally wet being mostly near sea level Neutral ) and had to do a bit of A road miles and noticed that 70 - 80 mph was fine so I think my issue is caused by the mefo more than the mitas.

What I have noticed when switching between the rears is that I don't need to lift the back of the bike to get the stand under the sump guard. So my conclusion ( which probably is obvious to some) is that the Mefo raises the rear of the bike by an inch or two.

So my thoughts are the bike is on the verge of a tank slapper at speed as the rake is steeper with the Mefo. I cant drop the forks in the triple clamps and the mefo has loads of life left in it and it is a good dual purpose tyre so dont want to toss it.

So the question is can anyone suggest a tyre/tyre size for the front the I can put on my spare front wheel to use with the mefo?

ta

Back to top Go down

Tire sizes Empty Re: Tire sizes

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:10 am

Have you tried raising the forks so they are flush with the top of the tripple's?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:15 am

they already are.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:42 pm

I have the same on my motard - Speed wobble at around 115 - 130. Put on a new front tyre the same size (different make) and the wobble was much worse, hectic scary

Dropped my forks down the 10mm the previous owner had pushed them up and now it is a lot better Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:33 pm

I went to a 130/80/18 on the back and the speed wobble went away. It was fine to at least 90 mph, so I guess the mefo profile is to high.

It might not do it with a different front tyre but I cant be arsed to try different fronts ones as I am happy with the Mitas on the front and either the Maxxis 6006 or Heidenau K60 on the rear. That is unless I am running the knobblies when its muddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down