Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel leak

Go down

Fuel leak Empty Fuel leak

Post  Mauser Sat May 23, 2015 6:10 pm

Now come on guys I never ask for your help....so today had a blast on my bike and just before getting home I did a small wheelie over a speed bump....300mm max pulled onto my drive and she cut out and then dropped some fuel on the drive from the over flow pipe ?.....any idea's ? sticking float maybe.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Fuel leak Empty Re: Fuel leak

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2015 9:49 pm

Your bike is not used to do them wheelies so it might just needs to get used to it . shrug

Too much fuel went in the bowl that could be incorrect float adjustment or sticking float valve ( you should replace that now and again as they wear / get pitted ) .
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 25, 2015 8:20 pm

wot he said above Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon May 25, 2015 11:38 pm

OK will drop the bottom of the bowl at some time and check the seat, funny how it only leaked after the wheelie ?....hasn't leaked prior to this event ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2015 12:59 am

My guess would be the float level is too high, bend the tang a bit while you have the bowl off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2015 8:14 pm

I have a friend that wheelies his 650 all over the place with the front about 4’ off the ground, every time he sets it back down fuel comes out the over flow but it has never died. Now we are going between 30-50mph when he is doing it but it doesn’t act like it wasn’t to die out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue May 26, 2015 8:48 pm

To be fair I did virtually stop as soon as the front wheel came down....15 yards maybe rolled down my drive and she cut out I guess if I had carried on riding her she would have been fine Smile.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2015 8:56 pm

I was practicing wheelies up the beach and got a little too far back and hooked the license plate, the front made a rapid uncontrolled decent to earth where i proceeded to do some acrobatics when i touched back down as you can see from the track in the sand.

Fuel leak 20150125_101320

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 pm

slow motion action replay please...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2015 9:35 pm

My friend who was slightly behind me said it was pretty spectacular, it felt pretty cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Bikes starting cutting out again, cannot be fuel as she starts back up no problem, plug looks very rich...
Fuel leak Plug
So would I be right in thinking to lean her out with the air mixture screw 1/4 turn ?.....
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:23 pm

I would give it a shot it looks pretty rich by the plug.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:25 pm

That's a brand new plug as well only done about 20 miles Smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:27 pm

wow, then yes very rich.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:08 am

What size main is in it?
Have you over oiled the air cleaner or is it really dirty?

I would be more inclined to lower the needle one clip position, that would make more of a difference than leaning the idle mixture.
Again, I would lower the fuel height in the bowl as this could be a contributor to the issue also.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:30 am

what's your carb set up? I would try what zoro said move needle clip down, actually I think move clip up one notch will allow the needle to sit lower leaning it out I think? start with new plug and take piggy for a run and then do a plug reading.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:39 am

Stock jets... 68s and whatever the stock main jet is BRP smile oil filter not over oiled and clean, I do potter about on my baby not exceeding 40 very often mostly 25-30 in 5th, she is low geared however 13~50 which does pull the rev's up....
Will try the clip position as it's an easy and cheap option lol
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:44 pm

A WHEELIE?
Impossible!
I have it on very good reliable account from a mod here that our bikes canNOT wheelie.... period!
That's gospel bru, face it.
So, must have been imagination...
Stop smoking those green ciggies please Mauser?
Next you'll ride into a blue Elephant, or a midget Martian!
Except from your body, wife, kids and immediate collective family also this forum will be thankful for that!

A wheelie.... now I've hear dit all!
You realize how your bike must feel now?
The poor thing, from happy toddling around to being thrashed over speedhumps - can't get any worse now innit?
Mind, that sudden jerk may have dislocated a minute spec of, dare I say it, d i r t inside the tank, and subsequently this may have found its way through the tap into the fuel line... where it had to face the carb with all its funny parts, and caused havoc by unseating the needle's seat!
Dunno about you Maus' but I'd clean it, pronto!

PSst: maybe mount an inline fuelfilter then too? Such would allow you to wheelie more, lord forbid make it a habit even, oh hell, mono the streets if not lanes! Your local copper will like you for such even, as that will give him a real victim to hunt, he's fed up already chasing old grannies who lost their umbrellas!

Bump Bump Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Is that 40mph or 40kph??

Yep, lower the needle/ raise the clip.
Check the sizing on the main while you're in there too.
My plug looked like that with a 175, progressively worked my way down to 165 which cleaned it right up.
2.5 turns on idle mix and I have plugged the vacuum port on the fuel cut off diaphragm which stops it from working whilst eliminating any chance of a vacuum leak also. Fixed my idle issues up.
Found it surged with the 175 too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Update I pulled the carb today and the clip was on the 4th position from the top ? I uncorked my carb years ago and would have thought stock would be middle position ?.....I have moved it up 1 now it's in middle position will see how she wheelies Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:02 pm

Sooo, how'd ya go?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Not really had chance to try her out, I did find the carb top gasket had expanded to such a state it would no longer fit....I needed to cut out 4mm and super glue to ends before it would fit...
Fuel leak Carb
The I panicked yesterday as I thought the plastic washer had fallen out as I failed to spot it when I took the carb to pieces...pulled top again and there it was in the right spot.....phew
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down