Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skid Plate

Go down

Skid Plate Empty Skid Plate

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:51 am

What do you guys recommend for a good skid plate?

Back to top Go down

Skid Plate Empty Where are you riding?

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:00 am

Team Honda always used the plastic OEM one. I could see a alloy one if I rode in a lot of big rocks, or really technical stuff with rocks. But I use my KDX200 for that stuff. Siraton told me they had more bike damage with the bash plates than with the plastic OEM ones. But that might have something to do with their riding which is a lot faster than mine.

Back to top Go down

Skid Plate Empty Re: Skid Plate

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Plastic doesn't last where I ride...

Skid Plate 330448290qbVeVw_th Skid Plate 330442860psLWOi_th

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:02 pm

This is the one I use and it seems to work OK. The same bash plate is marketed by several differant companies. I think mine said "Moose" on the bag.
Skid Plate DSCN0039

Back to top Go down

Skid Plate Empty Guess I don't know Iowa

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Sure ain't the Iowa we see on TV.

KTM265 wrote:Plastic doesn't last where I ride...

Skid Plate 330448290qbVeVw_th Skid Plate 330442860psLWOi_th

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:40 am

That's because "It Aint In Iowa Toto"... dummy That is Arizona...few scenes from the rides I take there. rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:58 am

This is the skid plate I use:
Skid Plate

It's made by Riccochet and I got it from here:
http://www.utahsportcycle.com/store/page134.html

The plastic stock one would never last (neither would my engine case) in the rocky areas out here in the mountains of NM...maybe only in desert sand.

Back to top Go down

Skid Plate Empty Well ...

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:53 pm

I've been in the 1000 a few times as well as some of the other desert races (back in the 80s) and there is usually a good variety of terrain, including some slow difficult rocky stuff. I reckon that doesn't play as well to the I'm-such-a-bad-ass music soundtrack they have to have now. But there are also long mountainside stretches with ruts more than 18" deep. I've never used or needed an aftermarket skid plate.

I have seen dry creek riding in Colorado that I wouldn't take my XRR through period. But that was hardly riding. More near to bulldogging your bike and walking it over stuff. Saw a real severe femur break on a guy once in the rocky stuff and lost the taste for it myself. I have a KDX200 for that if I want. But I'm gettin too old far that ****.

AtomicXRer wrote:This is the skid plate I use:
Skid Plate

The plastic stock one would never last (neither would my engine case) in the rocky areas out here in the mountains of NM...maybe only in desert sand.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Skid Plate

Thanks for the links... That is what I was looking for. The holes make it easy to zip tie in a an extra set of brake/clutch levers for unexpected trail repairs...

Back to top Go down

Skid Plate Empty did that DSA guy ahve a poll on here about new products?

Post  Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:47 pm

I suggested a CF skid plate. Whatever became of that stuff?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 am

Looks like you got the same bikes I do...an XRR for womping aroound and a KDX for the nasty stuff.

Very Happy

Bump wrote:I've been in the 1000 a few times as well as some of the other desert races (back in the 80s) and there is usually a good variety of terrain, including some slow difficult rocky stuff. I reckon that doesn't play as well to the I'm-such-a-bad-ass music soundtrack they have to have now. But there are also long mountainside stretches with ruts more than 18" deep. I've never used or needed an aftermarket skid plate.

I have seen dry creek riding in Colorado that I wouldn't take my XRR through period. But that was hardly riding. More near to bulldogging your bike and walking it over stuff. Saw a real severe femur break on a guy once in the rocky stuff and lost the taste for it myself. I have a KDX200 for that if I want. But I'm gettin too old far that ****.

Skid Plate

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:36 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 pm

AURORA wrote:Whipps Bash Plate

Australia

[url=http://www.whipps.com.au/Products/BashPlates.html
http://www.whipps.com.au/Products/BashPlates.html[/quote[/url]]

Expensive with shipping... beat head

Back to top Go down

Skid Plate Empty These things pop up on eBay pretty often

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Seems like I see these aluminum bash plates for good prices on eBay pretty often.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down