Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

front end wobble

Go down

front end wobble Empty front end wobble

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:09 am

I need help diagnosing a front-end wobble. My XR is super-motoed, so this is a street issue. It picks it up around 75mph. It is almost a wandering feeling that turns into a near tank slapping issue. I tried retorqueing the front axle to spec first. The tire is a Michelin Sport with about 1500 miles on it. There is no evident cupping or flat spots. The spokes, and head bearing seem tight. The only thing I have not done yet that I can think of is to pull the wheel and check the balance. I cant see where any weights have come off. Any other ideas?

Back to top Go down

front end wobble Empty I'd guess balance at that speed.

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:29 am

What speed was it balanced for? I think someone makes a very light rimlock. You got any of that Slime in there or any of that stuff that has settled into some sort of mass?

qikazel wrote:I need help diagnosing a front-end wobble. My XR is super-motoed, so this is a street issue. It picks it up around 75mph. It is almost a wandering feeling that turns into a near tank slapping issue. I tried retorqueing the front axle to spec first. The tire is a Michelin Sport with about 1500 miles on it. There is no evident cupping or flat spots. The spokes, and head bearing seem tight. The only thing I have not done yet that I can think of is to pull the wheel and check the balance. I cant see where any weights have come off. Any other ideas?

Back to top Go down

front end wobble Empty Re: front end wobble

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Is this new or a persistant problem?

Assuming it's persistant since motarding - I'd try adjusting the rear sag. With the shorter front wheel/tire height of the motard conversion, you've fundamentally altered the basic geometry of the bike, increasing the head angle and making it inherantly unstable at speed. By inreasing the sag you'll drop the head angle back to where it should be & find the stability you're looking for

If it's new- I'd pay close attention to tire PSI see if that makes a difference

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks for the responses. If any other ideas, keep them coming!!

Back to top Go down

front end wobble Empty Geez, I felt smart until ...

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:59 pm

until you piped in! listen up

That's a great answer! nice Let me know if you need a reference! Very Happy

What part of the eastern Sierra are you near?

Mythic wrote:Is this new or a persistant problem?

Assuming it's persistant since motarding - I'd try adjusting the rear sag. With the shorter front wheel/tire height of the motard conversion, you've fundamentally altered the basic geometry of the bike, increasing the head angle and making it inherantly unstable at speed. By inreasing the sag you'll drop the head angle back to where it should be & find the stability you're looking for

If it's new- I'd pay close attention to tire PSI see if that makes a difference

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:31 pm

two things you need to do,

first: go online to harbor frieght and get your self there portable wheel balancer and get a kit of motorcycle wheel weights

second: get a decent steering stabilizer, going to be in the 250 to 350 range, really doesnt matter wich one just make sure it will fit the model specifically.

good bye wobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:37 am

"get a decent steering stabilizer, going to be in the 250 to 350 range"

Where do I get this? The Scotts and BRP stabilizers I have seen have been at least $450-$800.

Back to top Go down

front end wobble Empty Get 'em used

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:07 pm

They are on ebay, CL and ADV for cheap all the time. I saw a near new setup from Scotts on ADV in that range recently. ADV is the cheapest as there is no price war.

The Scotts stabilizers are made in two places. One is better than the other. BRP sells the better one.

I sold a GPR setup with matching triple clamp for that amount last year. Unless you are racing at Hengeveld speeds (I'm not) I doubt there is much difference.

If I see one I'll post here as I don't have your email address.

qikazel wrote:"get a decent steering stabilizer, going to be in the 250 to 350 range"

Where do I get this? The Scotts and BRP stabilizers I have seen have been at least $450-$800.

Last edited by Bump on Fri May 01, 2009 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks!! 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down