Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards

Go down

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Empty Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards

Post  Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:37 pm

I wanted some protection for my radiators and, on the recommendation of a friend, picked up a set of guards from BulletProof Designs

The guards came nicely packaged with a couple of stickers too. Those should be good for another 5hp. :lol: The guards look great and seem extremely well made.

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0425mo7

Installation was simple, took about a half hour. First you remove the stock plastic guards. I just stuck a flat bade screw driver in and wedged them out. It was so simple I didn't take pictures.

You then remove the two 8mm bolts that hold each radiator on. (Circled in red.)

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0426paintsk4

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0427paintsc0

You then remove the three 4mm allen bolts from the guards and place the guards against the radiators. You need to install the lower inside radiator bolt first since you can only access it while the radiators are loose. I forgot to take a picture of this step. :banghead:

You then screw in the two outside 4mm allen bolts. Not sure if it's necessary, but I used LockTite on all the bolts. They're the little blue bolts:

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0428oz5

Then you re-install the two bolts that hold the radiators to the frame. You re-use the back one and BulletProof provides provides a new one for the top/front since the captured washer is too wide to fit in through the hole.

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0429hb3

The guards fit very cleanly and look like they'll provide good protection to the radiators.

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0431yk0

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0432yj3

Overall I give the guards a 9/10. The only downsides are the cost ($199 plus shipping) and that they were missing one washer for the install.

The pluses are that they are beautifully made, fit perfectly (and I mean perfectly), are simple to install and should provide good protection for front and side impacts. They also don't seem to effect air-flow at all. I spent most of the day yesterday riding tight single track mostly in first-gear in 80 degree heat with no overheating.

All in all, I love 'em!!

Back to top Go down

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Empty Re: Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards

Post  Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm

80 deg! You dirty dog Sad I can't wait for summer again. We're in the 50-low 60's now. Sad Sad

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Empty Re: Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards

Post  Guest Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 am

Hodakaguy wrote:80 deg! You dirty dog Sad I can't wait for summer again. We're in the 50-low 60's now. Sad Sad

Hodakaguy
I wish it was in the 50s or 60s. I love cold weather. It's the whole Yeti thing. :lol:

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:10 am

Yeti wrote:Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0426paintsk4

You messed with my mind posting this picture. Suspect
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:55 pm

FOCKER wrote:
Yeti wrote:Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0426paintsk4

You messed with my mind posting this picture. Suspect

I wondered if anyone would notice that! :lol: I forgot to take a picture from the correct side. All-in-all one of my least well-done DIY's but at least it's out there for people considering different raditor guard options.

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Here you go...Not that it matters.
Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0426paintsk4gv4
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 pm

FOCKER wrote:Here you go...Not that it matters.
Installing BulletProof Designs Radiator Guards Img0426paintsk4gv4
Ha ha!! :lol: I had purposely flipped it so both pictures would be form the "same" side.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down