Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracked clutch cover

Go down

Cracked clutch cover Empty Cracked clutch cover

Post  Guest Tue May 17, 2011 3:23 am

Hey everyone,

I went for a ride Friday on some rough and very rocky trails here in Arizona. Lets just say there was a very rocky and steep hill, and I didn't make it...three times. After coming home and inspecting my 01 650r I noticed some oil seeping out of my clutch cover. There is a small crack in the cover from where I dropped in on a rock (i guess) It isn't a significant leak as I rode it for three hours today. I went to the auto store and bought some cheap "liquid Solder" but only let it set for about an hour and a half. It didn't seem to work at all during the ride, even though it says to let it set overnight. (duh)

ANYWAYS my question is what is the best type of fast setting epoxy to use to temporarily stop the leak? I know I will have to get another cover but want to get by with it like it is as long as I can.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Cracked clutch cover Empty Re: Cracked clutch cover

Post  Mauser Tue May 17, 2011 8:13 am

Not used it myself but others use JB Weld ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 am

Galactic,

Google for "xr650r clutch cover protector" (or try other words, guard?).
You'll find 1 only, a profiled aluminium disc which glues (using silicone) onto the existing cover.
Cheap, cost effective, the guy (forgot his name, sorry) gives great service, I only can recommend him - get one?
Clean with thinners first (ZERO oil!!), fix the crack with epoxy (Mauser is correct, in the US it seems to go by the name JB Weld), then silicone this cover on & off you go!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 17, 2011 12:42 pm

i used loctite liquid aluminium (2 component) on a honda cr clutch cover and that worked fine for 10 years now Very Happy

Cracked clutch cover 10004041-2

like Burp said, better get the clutch cover protector from e-bay and next time you fall you dont worry anymore about the engine case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XR650R-Clutch-Guard-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4159bc47a3QQitemZ280678385571QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Yes Ricko,

that's the one!
A sturdy thing, fits like a glove, priced fair, prompt & correct service from Perry the seller, and, especially for 'overseas' pig owners, being able to use PayPal is just convenient.

And no, dunno Perry from a bar of soap, I just bought one off him and recommend both the cover and his service. Besides, this is a product for a Pig, a dying breed..... let's support those who support us?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down