Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boggs at 1/4 throttle or greater

Go down

Boggs at 1/4 throttle or greater Empty Boggs at 1/4 throttle or greater

Post  Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey guys,

Here's where I'm at fellas. I have a pretty new-to-me 2002 XRR that is pretty stinking clean and issue-less until now. See if you can help me diagnose/remedy my issue. I took the BRP out to our local riding spot here in Florida (Croom) and rocked out all day on it (before that I did a full weekend at Durahmtown without issue as well). The day went fine with not even a stutter from Mrs. Piggy (that is her name now). We loaded up the bikes and came home.

During transport back the headlight got pulled off partially. I put it back on, checked all the wires (at least as well as I could see) and put it all back together.

Three weeks later I went to start up Mrs. Piggy (she sat without moving for those three weeks) and she started up just fine. I let her warm up but when I went to ride she would bogg down (act like it was out of fuel) after 1/4 throttle. It would sputter and buck but would not go above an estimated 2500-3500 rpms. I can shift into the next gear and it will act fine until 1/4 throttle is reached again and then the same thing.

Here is what i've done so far to remedy the issue (non of which have worked)

1. Clean the Carb

My trip to Durhamtown was the inaugural run. (A friend spotted the deal for me in another state. We were meeting up anyhow so he brought it to me there) Since I had no clear history on the bike I assumed the carb was plugged up or got some dirt/sand in it at either Croom or Durhamtown and tore the carb apart. I removed all of the tiny O-rings and disassembled all the internals of the stock carb then dunked the dunkable parts in a tub of carb cleaner overnight. I took it back out, sprayed it down well with parts cleaner, put it all back together and put the carb back on. Now I have a spotless carb. This did not change the problem at all. It got no better. It got no worse.

2. Dump the Fuel & Clean the Petcock

I then proceeded to dump all of my freshly purchased fuel out of the tank, took the petcock off, cleaned the petcock filter with ether (its all I had around at that point), blew air through the petcock outlet and across the screen. I put the petcock back on, made sure the fuel line was unobstructed and reinstalled it. I then took the float bowl drain out, sprayed ether up the hole to flush any old fuel/gunk out, let it drain fully and put the plug back. Then I put new fuel in and crossed my fingers. No luck. Yet again nothing changed. The problem did not improve or worsen.

3. Spark Plug Replacement

Part "A" - Clean the Old Plug

This is where I thought I was finally making headway. I pulled the plug (should have done this first but oh well) to find that it was some crappy champion plug that was JET BLACK. Surely this was my problem. I didn't have a spare plug handy so I took some fine grit sand paper, cleaned the contacts everywhere so it was shiny metal showing again, blew the plug for a long while with an air gun to insure no grit got in the motor, and reinstalled. For the first time ever the bike started easily without requiring several attempts to wake her up. I took off down the street but the problem remained. This time it seemed like the bogging occurred slightly further into throttle (more like 3/8 to 1/3 throttle instead of 1/4).

Part "B" - New Plug

Because of the slight improvement listed above I assumed that this plug was the culprit and, this morning, went to my local shop and purchased a brand new OEM Honda Branded NGK plug for Mrs. Piggy (she's getting expensive - a whole $2.75). The bike was cold from sitting over night and still started on the first kick. I was certain my problem was solved - WRONG! For the fourth time my problem had not changed. The bike was still bogging without improvement. What the crap?!

So what do you guys think?

I'm leaning towards electrical things. I'm guessing I should move up the line of electical culprits. Perhaps try the plug wire then the coil (is the factory plug wire boot supposed to be yellow?)?

What would you recommend?

Doh Moment!

OK... I just remembered, against my better judgement, that I powerwashed my bike when i got home. I did this at Durhamtown but I don't think the ones they provide are as powerful as my gas one at home. Could this have caused my issue (stator wet, coil wet, something?)?

Thoughts

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

Back to top Go down

Boggs at 1/4 throttle or greater Empty Re: Boggs at 1/4 throttle or greater

Post  Mauser Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 am

Is your mixture set correct ?, air filter clean ?.
Don't think the bike uses any earths on the frame so just check the connections under your seat, ones behind the headlight won't effect the running of the bike.
Your symptoms sound like your running the bike on choke....well mine does exactly what your describing if I leave her on half choke and ride off.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Wet airfilter.........

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Air filter is newly cleaned and dry as a bone. It does the same even with the air filter out. The idle screw is at 1.5 turns out. I've tried it at 2 turns out, 2.5 turns, 1 turn, etc. Nothing changes. I am guessing that it's not an idle screw thing as this is more along the lines of when the main jet might kick in.

I'm baffled. I'm going to dunk the carb overnight again and spray the crap out of it with carb cleaner. I'll drain the tank a second time (goodbye another $10 in gas) and clean the petcock to the 1000th degree. Hopefully I just missed something. We'll see what happens I guess.

Austin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:07 am

Austin,

IF it is the carb (sounds like it) then it is the main jet only, blocked/clogged or why.
The needle-jet & jet-needle is part of that also, pls note.
What I'd check is the small diaphragm on the lhs - torn? If so replace, but in any case block-off the tiny passage in the cover with a drop of epoxy-glue - this will not lean-off the mix on overrun anymore, and will get you better engine braking too.
If it's not that..... then I'm baffled too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:03 pm

I'll check the diaphragm tonight after work. I'm going for a redunk/clean tonight as well. Hopefully we'll see some improvement. I'll check what passage you're talking about. I have some epoxy on hand. Is this a common improvement on these carbs (the epoxy blockoff that is)?

Austin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 pm

It is yes, forgot the website link describing it.
Remove the needle-jet (the entire brass thing/tube) fully, and inspect this and the needle for visible wear. If any renew, but as said I think this is where your problem is.

Also, and I know you 'gassed' the inlet-side, you may want to inspect the small block-off screw on top of the inlet-duct, in the head. Obviously it should seal tight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 pm

inlet side of the carb right? Not the engine?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Nope, head, on top of the inlet tract. This is where the smog-rubbish used to get the vacuum from if your bike was a Cal-spec one, a small 4 (or 5) mm screw.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:17 am

checked the screw, replaced the jet needle and needle jet, flushed the tank again, cleaned the carb again, cleaned the petcock again. Still no improvement. I ordered a coil. We'll see what happens. Any other ideas?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:09 pm

OK... here's the latest update.

AFter my failed test run I ordered a new coil. While waiting for the coil to come in I left for some vacation. I got back today and did the following in order:

1. Pulled the plug. It was black again. I cleaned it off, put a torch to it, and a little light grit sandpaper to remove any carbon/gunk.

2. Installed the new coil

3. Went for a test ride. The same issue remained unchanged.

4. Pulled the plug again. It was wet and black yet again.

I'm leaning towards a carb issue again with this symptom. As far as the carb goes all that is left to replace is the floats and needle and the diaphragm (which appears to be unharmed) on the side of the carb.

What do you guys think? Floats? I'm about to get ticked and just pick up a used FCR for it.

Also.... the main jet has that nut on it. How do you set that at the proper spot?

Below is a list of everything that has been done to remedy the bike

1. Carb disassembled, dunked in carb cleaner (berrymans), sprayed with 3 cans of aerosol carb cleaner, dried over night and reassembled (I have done this 2x)

2. Petcock cleaned including in-tank screen (this has been done 2x)

3. Checked the wire connections

4. checked the screw on the inlet track on the cylinder head - tight with a good crush washer

5. replaced spark plug

6. replaced the needle with a new B53 and placed it on the 3rd clip

7. replaced the coil

This is a rich issue from what I can tell.... i'm baffled

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:58 pm

Been mentioned before but are you sure the choke is not sticking on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Given that so many people have responded to help with this issue.... do I HAVE to answer that question?

OH THE EMBARRASSMENT!!!!

Sticking - not so much

I'm an idiot who didn't know which way the choke went - perhaps

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Which intake are you running.
The stock intake or the uncorked power up intake?
---------------------

You have yet to mention choke position. When running your BRP. There are 3 positions for the choke.
On, half and off.

What are you running for the needle, and jets?
is the vent tube on the fuel tank blocked?
Have you checked your exhaust system for free exhaust flow?
Is your fuel line kinked?
Did you check fuel flow from the line when detached from the carb?
Did you visually confirm that the carb slide valve full opens when twisting the throttle?

I know. I just listed basic questions but we need to know answers to these questions.

Last edited by AURORA on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Abneya wrote:Given that so many people have responded to help with this issue.... do I HAVE to answer that question?

OH THE EMBARRASSMENT!!!!

Sticking - not so much

I'm an idiot who didn't know which way the choke went - perhaps

The choke control is opposite what you think the normal direction would be. beat head

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Soo ,whats the deal,I have the same problem,choke is NOT on,what solved your problem?????

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down