Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throttle cables

Go down

Throttle cables Empty Throttle cables

Post  Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 am

Ok guys, I need some help for my sanity!!!

Just been going over all my cables, lubing and replacing some and am on the throttle cables. The pull to open cable had been jerry rigged with a bicycle style clamped nipple at the carb pulley so I replaced the whole cable with a new one. So I go to re install the pull to close cable and can not get it to fit. I compared it to the new cable I have and the inner and outer lengths are the same. I hooked it up at the throttle handle first but it doesn't fit into the adjuster clamp near the carb and reach to the hole in the carb pulley. Could some one post some pics so I can compare the different components of the system as I am starting to think the previous owner has fitted something non standard and that is why it was jerry rigged.

Any help appreciated - am running for now with only the pull to open cable hooked up but would rather have both. (no replies saying leave the cable off please I dont want to get in to that discussion...)

Cheers
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Throttle cables Empty Re: Throttle cables

Post  Mauser Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi Mark...these any good ?
Throttle cables 3

Throttle cables 5

Throttle cables 49

Throttle cables 50
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 pm

I have bought the motion pro oversized and extra long ( 4 inches longer than stock ) cables from power barn , as recomended by others and i have to say they are in totaly different league compared to the stock " bicycle " cables . I think they are not identical .
http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-1642/Motion-Pro-Oversize--pls-4%22/Detail

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Mauser - your pictures confirm that what I have at the carb end is normal, looks exactly the same as mine. Below are a couple of pics of my throttle handle - can you (or someone else) confirm this looks standard too? Am wondering if the PO has installed a different throttle handle and the spacing between the cable hook ups are different...otherwise I am out of ideas!

Throttle cables 2013-01-01141916_zpsa324aaa6

Throttle cables 2013-01-01141935_zps295199f3

Cheers,
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Looks stock ?, can you just not rotate the grip around so the cable nipple drops into the lug ? after all it should be moving away from the outer to open the throttle ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 pm

It looks stock , it can be tricky to put it back together just make sure you did not swap the cables because they are not the same ( pul / push ) . When i cleaned mine i have accidentaly swapped them and was unable to connect them back until swapped back again .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 am

Mark,

best is to mount the cables to the throttle first, and adjust the adjusters to "in" where possible. Then mount to the carb, pull first, adjusters also fully in. If you can't get the 'push' cable on you need some inner-cable length - which you can achieve my getting a new inner (longer - duh!) plus some nipples you simply solder on. File off any protrusions off the nipple and this is as good a a factory cable, and I hunch this stuff you'll be able to buy locally.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down