Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikuni TM40

Go down

Mikuni TM40 Empty Mikuni TM40

Post  Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 am

Hows it going?
I am thinking of buying a Mikuni TM40 Pumper Carb, I am hopeing it will help when trying to start the thing after dropping it. At the moment the bike starts really easy, until it has spent a few seconds on its side, then it is a nightmare.
Any ideas?

Back to top Go down

Mikuni TM40 Empty Re: Mikuni TM40

Post  Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40 pm

I have a Mikuni fitted to my bike and I love the difference the pumper has made.

However it is not much different or easier to start when it has been on its side.

The procedures are the same as for the standard carb.

I try first , find tdc, hold the throttle fully open and kick - sometimes it will start.( often referred to as the racing start)

If not :Turn the fuel off , pull the decomp in and kick through approx 10 times, find tdc and kick with decomp out. It should start very rarely I have had to repeat the procedure but have never had to do it three times.

I should add I do not turn the kill switch off and often hear it fire through the air box when I am clearing it out( kicking it through with the decomp in). This may be a bit foolish as I have heard of one pig going on fire doing this but as long as it starts it is a chance that I am willing to take naughty

Hope that helps.
One of the best bits about the mikuni is that on tight snotty trails it can be at the point of stalling but wack the throttle open and it literary jumps forward and away.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:44 am

Yea, thanks for that. I was hopeing to fix the flooding problem, but I think I will get one anyway. They sound good.
I am thinking of doing some adventure touring and Im sure this carb will be benificial for that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:30 am

I see on youtube an edelbrock carb, the guy lay the bike sideways left and right and didn't floaded it, the bike was running on its side so I think that's what we need. if I find the link for the video I will posted if not you can find it on youtube.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 am

Edelbrock discontinued, spares too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 am

Had anyone managed to install the FCR 41 on a pig with the big acerbis fuel tank ? I have spent days reading about carbs and feel even more confused than before , it seems that the FCR is the best carb you can buy but does not fit , and i dont really want to modify the tanks and other bits , need something that fits straight in . Does the mikuny TM 40 realy have a problem with the slide sticking ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 am

Yes, in the same way that the Pig's starter button often breaks.
Now wheeeeere do you get that nonsense?
Oh, nevermind, no!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Read here ,
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?48651-Any-Xr650r-Pumper-Carb-Sugestions

I have ruled out the FCR41 it is too much hassle to fit and set up properly , shame as it is a very good carb .
It seems that the stocker and the TM40 are the only options since the edelbrock is gone forever tears

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 pm

"Apparently.." yeah, but a shoddy explanation that. Nutting rong with a TM40, especially so when bought new. And, as long as you don't compete in the top-class SM it performs as well as an FCR, only the setup is easier. Fitment too, plug & play, and jetting info aplenty.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm

What carbie are you running Burpie ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Guess?
Yip!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Mikuni tm 40 BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Anyone have any updates on the Mikuni 40TM-6 pumper carb. Do they hold up well?  I have resisted pulling the trigger for one. Are parts still easy to find?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:41 pm

hodakaharold wrote:Anyone have any updates on the Mikuni 40TM-6 pumper carb. Do they hold up well?  I have resisted pulling the trigger for one. Are parts still easy to find?

I only bought mine a few months ago in the UK (brp'ies aren't that common here) so I would say yes.

Also don't they use the TM40 on other bikes to (harleys?) so i would say you shouldn't struggle for parts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:44 am

do you like the way the Mikuni performs?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:45 am

Yes, no, wait, YES !!! Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 am

Hogakaharold, are you the Hodaka-man of the tank braces fame?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:59 am

There is a Hodaka Guy on this forum and probably other forums that may sell some neat items but it isn't me.
I had a Hodaka 100B+ as my first bike back in 1972 and was called hodakaharold in high school. I still ride a trail bike and do the adventure bike thing except my XR650R is a hoot to ride as a dual purpose plated bike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:24 am

SkidMark wrote:wouldn't that be http://www.xr650rforum.com/u2

Of course, good ol' Hodakaguy!
Was just wondering, Hodaka is a name not very well knows outside the States, so rare Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down