Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run?

Go down

Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? Empty Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 am

Hey all. Last thursday i left my wheel lock in my car so i thought it would be safe for one night. Lesson learned. it wasn't. Found it the next morning a few blocks away with the speedo ripped off and a half ass attempt to hot wire it. i'm pretty sure the only reason i still have a bike is because the thief had never encountered a kick start before.

ANyways, I wired back what i could see cut, and now it's much harder to get the fire when cold, and when it does it only stays on for about a second before dying. giving it gas doesn't help, choked or not choked.

trying to skip a tow to the cycle shop here, if any of you can help it would be great.

oh yea - it's been raining, but it's started fine before in the rain. and i store it outside, if that helps....

thanks anyways, Jess

Back to top Go down

Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? Empty Re: Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run?

Post  Mauser Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 am

Hi Jess, Sorry to hear about your theft problem, the XR shouldn't have much to go wrong with the wiring ?.
I would check they have not damaged the coil wires and the kill switch isn't shorting out somewhere ?.
The lights won't cause the problem so ignore most things behind the headlight, I take it your bike is stock ? or do you have a lighting kit on.

Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? Empty Re: Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 am

the kill switch is a good idea.. i'll take a look at that tomorrow along with the coil.

i do have a lighting kit on it.. i didn't install it though. there's a mess of wires that will take me a while to see if it's ground out with a volt meter.. but that shouldn't affect the ignition circuit right?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 am

Maus' right, I'd check the kill-button first - especially when it rains.
Leave it off the bars (= its ground), retry.... if it starts (probably) then you'll know where to look closer.
Mind though, I'd drain the carb too, just to make sure there's no water in the floatbowl.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:18 pm

They might of twisted the poo out of the ideal adjustment screw. Your carb might be all out of whack.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 am

figured it out.

when the a'hole stuck a screw driver in there, he messed up the on position of the switch. instead of being an open circuit in the on position, it had high resistance. so it was like the kill switch was half engaged, that's why it started but would die quickly.

temporary fix, toggle switch for the kill switch (original one is disabled). double wheel lock.

thanks for all the tips.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 am

Jess,

repeat after me: "Heavy Chain & Abloy"
A really heavy chain (wrapped in an old inner tube?) with a "real" padlock (Abloy 341: unrustable, unbreakable, lasts forwever, and yeah, bit costly) looped through the frame + a wheel, and ideally around a lamppost or similar also.
Take it from me, I steal ocean-tankers: if it's chained like that I have to look elsewhere, so normally I end up with a speedboat razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:08 am

one day i had not much to do and i build in a cheap (ebay) motion detection alarm on the pig Very Happy
works on a 9volt battery and now when someone touch my bike it will yell real nice BRP smile

Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? 37771190
Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? 96453195
Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? 14221227
Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? 20713186

thats not the only protection i use ofcourse, i use this alarm disk and chain lock set also, bit heavy but ok.
better save then sorry cheers

Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? Big_foto_13_1.jpg
http://www.moto5.be/pd/13/nl-BE/abus-sloten/Ketting-ABUS-Granit-Detecto-X-plus-800012-KS-120-BLACK-LOOP

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Much easier to just have full coverage. I think I pay $120 a year and also have $3,000 in accessory coverage and a $100 deductible.

Feel free and steal it, off to buy the Beta I go...LOL

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Easiest and safest way is not to live in a dodgy area listen up .....bad luck Burp razz
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:09 am

that bike alarm is pretty awesome..

and now my bike wont start again. kill switch is definitely deactivated. w-t-f?

Back to top Go down

Thief tried to steal my xr, now it won't run? Empty Perhaps

Post  Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Did the exhaust pipe fill with rain water? Has happened to me before...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down