Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard start....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hard start.... - Page 2 Empty Mixture screw

Post  Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:07 pm

I turned the mixture screw out until I thought it was going to fall out of the carb with no noticable change in rpms. Don't know what that means? I think it was at least 4-5 turns out and still no change! Maybe time to take the carb off again and check for crud and crusties.

I just cleaned the air filter and made sure to sqeeze all the excess oil out. No problem there, but you bring up a good point about the stuff under the seat.
Hard start.... - Page 2 SDC10107

Back to top Go down

Hard start.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard start....

Post  Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Ernie,

first: before you draw any conclusions rewarding jetting/adjustment of the carb one must be sure it is spotless! And without compressed air one cannot be sure, so blow absolutely every thing through & dry. Then reassemble, and it should now react to 'too far out'. My guess is the small airway from intake-bell to the idle-jet is restricted, but could be the fuel (idle jet) too in combination.
You chaps are used to carb-cleaner (unbeknown to me). Buy some, let it soak, but blow-dry (and though all holes) with compressed air.

Unless there's something under the r/rect & battery I can't see the air supply should be fine - for idling! Your airway is restricted, but I also know we lack some space for it all. So you can do things: 1) drill a large dia hole (32mm, or two 25's) in the RIGHT-hand side panel (top of your pic!) right there where the r/r sits, straight 'up'. I believe there's a sighting-hole already for the brake fluid, so I drilled dual holes. Or 2) buy an opened Lhs sidepanel, you know the kind, mesh & all.
This should sort your top-end airsupply out.

Back to top Go down

Hard start.... - Page 2 Empty Testing today

Post  Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:12 pm

I took her out for a run today and she started right up this morning. Banged around on some slow stuff and wide open on some fast stuff and other than it pissing some gas out the overflow tube when parked for a pic, no problems to report! Smile I think the overflow may have been due to a new Tank cap vent (pcv?). I'm still thinking I should take the carb off and clean AGAIN though. Just to be certain, and yes I have an air compressor and know how to use it! Wink

Hard start.... - Page 2 Image052

Back to top Go down

Hard start.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard start....

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2