Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Ride - XRR

Go down

First Ride - XRR Empty First Ride - XRR

Post  Guest Sun May 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Today was the first day I got to actually ride my new (to me) XR650R, taking it to Hidden Falls ATV park just outside of Marble Falls, TX.  Thanks to my bro, KosmicKLR, for coming along, on his wife’s DRZ400!  Its always real cool when the two of us get to check out a new bike, and can hand it off to my bro to try out.  Its like when we were dirt biking in WA state in the 1980s!  On the way out we ran by UlyBrad’s to BS and show off the XRR, and him his KTM, which I had not seen.  Electric start KTM? Ha!  Even if his KTM has electric start, I still respect him. UlyBrad is an ex-submariner, a cowboy poet, and a great rider!

Beautiful day at Hidden Falls, first ride on 2000 XR650R.  Still has original tires…..

First Ride - XRR P4121532

First Ride - XRR P4121503

My bro, KosmicKLR, only not on his KosmicKLR

First Ride - XRR P4121533

Starting out on some climbs, but we took the by passes since this was a more relaxed ride to get to make friends with the XRR, and not have it buck me off right soon.

First Ride - XRR P4121505

First Ride - XRR P4121502

So, I am coming of a DR650, and of course it’s a monumental change.  The power of the XR650R is intense, hitting you in the back side like a sledge hammer on every power pulse!  The first thing I learned is, I don’t know how to ride this bike!  What I mean is, yes I have dirt skills, from years of mountain biking and dual sport riding.  What I don’t have, is  lots of specific techniques needed to ride this bike like it was born to do! So, will be a learning curve.  Need to practice that “attack position.”  Next thing I learned, is I’m not in shape to handle what this bike can throw at you….Im all wore out!  So, getting some level of fitness and strength back, plus taking some dirt lessons from my good buddy, and MSF instructor, UlyBrad is imperative!

Pondering the drop and taking the easier one!
First Ride - XRR P4121529

First Ride - XRR P4121530

Hidden Falls was not too dusty, our recent heavy rains actually produced a Spring in Texas, how rare!  Creeks were running and wildflowers were blooming.  My favorite part was at the end of the day, we his some nice 1-ft wide flowing single track!  On a couple of trails we ventured into some very tight motorcycle trails, but then came up on some very hard rocky climbs and steep drops.  So, we back tracked out because we don’t know these trails, and I have no farkle-fu protection on my side cases or radiators….so decking the bike on some big boulders on my first outing were no on the menu!  

Finding some sweet single track, with wildflowers.  We crushed those pansy flowers between our knobs and spit them out like used chewing tobaccy!  Just kidding, we stayed on the trail and made sure to stop and smell them.

First Ride - XRR P4121525

First Ride - XRR P4121522

The stock bars on the XR650R have to go, first up are some 1 inch risers and new bar with better bend. I was not able to “take the DS position” very well with the stock bars. How much rise I can get before the cables get too tight, remains to be seen.  

First Ride - XRR P4121520

We also did some tweaks to the suspension settings. I set everything to the stock settings (even on the soft side of stock), but the ride was too choppy (likely because of my lower speeds!) So we backed off the compression damping by three more clicks, and added a tad more rebound. This made a big difference, smoothing out the suspension. But, its still got stock fork oil, I need to change that out.
When trading out bikes, I managed to get KosmickKLR’s wife’s DRZ stuck in the mud…..dont let her see this. We washed it at my place.  I learned to slow down, and look for an alternate line.  

First Ride - XRR P4121508

So how was that kickstart?  Was I huffing and puffing, turning red, and puking in my helmet trying to kick her over?  NOPE!  Just out of the truck, some choke and fired up on first kick!  After that 1-2 kicks and were in business!  

The  power of the XR650R is immediate and addicting!  On any climbs a small blip of the throttle calls in the reserves and your up, and over!  I rode mostly in 2nd gear, and only hit 3rd on some small straights, where the bike is just coming on to some intense power!  Quickly the scenery blurs and trouble can happen real fast!
Fun day of riding, and I’m looking forward to more….maybe AUDS when its street legal (if you have to ask, well……)

Thanks to KosmicKLR for coming along, some good brotherly bonding, its such a kick to hand off the bike and let him try it out!  Who knows, he might get the "Red Fever"!

First Ride - XRR P4121506

First Ride - XRR P4121512

Back to top Go down

First Ride - XRR Empty Re: First Ride - XRR

Post  Guest Mon May 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Beautiful terrain, and I never knew there's gamefences in the US (4rth pic).
What type of deer you got there?

Edit:
LOL, that kickstarting remark! Once you know it's a failsafe procedure, and those not in the know are in awe. This bike is a pussy to kick if you do it right, quite a surprise actually - but it is!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 am

BuRP wrote:Beautiful terrain, and I never knew there's gamefences in the US (4rth pic).
What type of deer you got there?

Edit:
LOL, that kickstarting remark! Once you know it's a failsafe procedure, and those not in the know are in awe. This bike is a pussy to kick if you do it right, quite a surprise actually - but it is!

In reality, you will find most of Texas is fenced off, because 97 % of the land is privately owned. Due to the unique history of Texas, little land is federal or state owned, so we do not have the luxury of riding on vast public lands such as in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and other states. These pictures were in a privately owned off-road park, which you pay $25 to enter and ride. Love it or hate it, Texas has its own challenges when it comes to dual sport riding. Even in remote parts of Texas, landowners have a habit of locking gates, or posting itimidating signs when in fact your on a public county road. But, many of those roads were built for large landowners to have access to their properties, and over time, land owners may come to think of a public road as "their own." The internet and the demand for instant information, including gps tracks, is putting pressures in remote areas of the state where dual sport riders are now showing up and wanting to ride. In Texas you really need to know for sure if your on a public or private road, lest you catch a load of buckshot in your butt!

And, Texas has every kind of deer imaginable, including African exotic wildlife....many of the private land owners above have large properties where they charge thousands of dollars to come on to the propery and hunt their wildlife.

Ok, long winded answer! Done!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down