Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spokes

Go down

Spokes Empty Spokes

Post  Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:24 pm

General question here has anyone upgraded the spokes in the rear wheel?
The XR is the only bike I have owned that regularly breaks the spokes in its rear wheel.
I assume this is because of the torque it generates and the spokes not being strong enough to take it.
My Husaberg has larger diameter spokes which makes me wonder if there are stronger spokes available for the XR or is fitting a Talon or alternative wheel the only answer.
thanks

Back to top Go down

Spokes Empty Re: Spokes

Post  Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 pm

I have had 2 XRR's, the first one saw lots of off road miles and never had any problems with spokes. The one I have now only has 2,500 miles and I when I got it needed three rear wheel spokes/nipples replaced. Since then have put on 1,000 miles loaded with gear, lots of rocks etc and zero problems. I do not believe it is a torque issue vs. lack of checking and adjusting spokes as needed. I am sure most here know, but a fast check to see if the spokes are tight is too use an end wrench and tap each spoke. You should hear a familiar sound from each spoke. If not trouble is on the way.

Back to top Go down

Spokes Empty Spokes

Post  Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:47 am

On spokes, I have not rode my XR650R enought yet to know. My bike was pretty low mileage, and I did find a couple loose spokes in the back wheel that needed some tension. With proper tension I am sure they will last pretty well. I thought the stock spoke guage looked a bit small for how fast this bike can go, but I am sure the Honda engineers got it right! But I did send my wheels out to Woody's Wheel Works for their superlacing treatment, with oversize stainless spokes and nipples, using stock rims. They tension the spokes more, and the angle of the spokes is changed a bit. This requires drilling the hub and rim. They also true the wheels to high spec, about 1 mm run out in any direction.

I cant say I "needed" this, I just wanted to go extra mile on the wheels since as a dual sport bike I will be hauling some extra weight on the bike. Here is the website if your interested: http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/superlace.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Its not a big problem and I have been checking the spoke tension since it first broke a spoke.
I have a Honda 250 2 stroke and that has the same sized spokes as the XR.
Never touched the spokes on that and I've had it for 5 years and the bike is now 20 years old
So regular adjustment and replacement are the norm or a rebuild with Talon or other kit.
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down