Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front fork compression & rebound?

Go down

Front fork compression & rebound? Empty Front fork compression & rebound?

Post  Guest Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:01 pm

simple really.which screw does what on the top of my forks?
i wanna set mine a little firmer than standard as im on excel rims with road tyres.not dirt tyres.its a little too soft for my liking.

muchos

Back to top Go down

Front fork compression & rebound? Empty Re: Front fork compression & rebound?

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:34 am

On a 'normal' fork you will find the compression at the bottom, and the rebound on top. On complicated/newest forks you better RTFM. Oil-viscosity also plays a large role so btw.
But here's what you do, in sequence: buy & mount the correct springs, I would also do the Borynack mod up front when you've got it open, new oil too, then set the correct sags (which might involve some ingenuity with bushings), then ride and set comp&rebound F&R in combination with your tyre pressures and riding.
Alternatively have all this done by an expert.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:30 am

My forks have recently had a service so dont wanna take them apart again.
so what do the two screws on the top of the fork leg do then? & i dont see a screw at the bottom?

Oh & their standard xr650r forks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:10 pm

From memory, so I stand to correction:
remove the rubber plug at the bottom & access the compression screw.
One top screw (dunno which one, RTFM pls, probably the smallest one) will be the rebound, the other the pre-tension (for want of the correct owrd) of the spring.
HELP someone who's sober, I'm not, just come back from a good night's out, and gonna hit the sack soon.

Say, Focker, what's wrong with the smiley's the last few days? They don't load fully, and this site's the only one which does load incomplete. Changed server mebbe? Whatever, would be nice to post a typical-for-this-site smiley, just so you know.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:02 am

The screw at top centre of the fork lcap is the rebound adjustment.
The screw slightly off set in the fork cap the the air release screw. Over a period of use air pressure can build up in the forks.
To release this pressure raise the bike on a stand so that the front wheel is off the ground then undo the off set screw. If there is excessive pressure you will hear a pust noise as air is released. fasten the screw back up and do the other fork cap.
As mentioned by BuRP the compression adjustment is accessed by removing the rubber bung out of the bottom of the fork legs. The adjusting screw can then be seen and adjusted.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Thats all i needed to know.
Cheers guy 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down