Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stiffer springs

Go down

Stiffer springs Empty Stiffer springs

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:57 am

My bike is a motard (Yes, it is an R Mauser, not an L).

I have all my suspension springs out and want to get stiffer springs made - I know the front are 4.3kg and I believe the rear is 9.2kg.

What should I upgrade them to for a motard for street and track use?

Last edited by Chris_w_65 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Stiffer springs Empty Re: Stiffer springs

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:29 am

I am thinking maybe 15% - so 4.95 front and 10.6 rear

BTW, I weigh about 180 pounds

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 pm

49 for the front and 11,5 for the back .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:49 for the front and 11,5 for the back .
Thanks, I will let the guys know - They will come back to me tomorrow to let me know if they can make them and the price.

When I assemble the forks what weight oil should I use?

I think I will leave the valving for now, at a later date when I have learned to corner properly (and how rebound and damping works) I will strip front and rear and modify valving if necessary (not opening the rear this time).

Back to top Go down

Stiffer springs Empty springs

Post  Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 am

ive just got a set of .49 f/springs, and a11.5kg shock spring set up for my brp, have just sent my fork valves to a local suspension guy [ who actually runs a brp]hes going to revalve them to suit my weight[200pds] + the h/d springs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 am

Anyone have advice on oil weight and valving for me? I will go for 49/11.5

As mentioned, the rear shock has not been stripped but I can pull it apart if need be.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Borynack prescribes 2.5W, thin & difficult to get hold of - but I did. Have to do mine still but you also know the B-mod's reputation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Is 2.5 for plush desert racing or stiff road?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Neither.
The shimstack in combination with the oil-weight determine the characteristics, and his stack clearly works well (offroad) with a 2.5 weight oil.

I'm sure one could design a stack suited to work with SAE40 also, only this kind of weight one won't find as shock oil I'm sure BRP smile 
Why don't you contact Foxi on WildDogs? He knows his stuff, East Coast though.

Back to top Go down

Stiffer springs Empty FORK OIL

Post  Guest Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:59 am

ATF IS AROUND 5WT HYDRAULIC FLUID

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:26 pm

I had loads of shock oil on the floor and myself today - I think next time it will be easier to bleed a rear shock now that I have done it once

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Just installed an 11kg rear and .49 front springs with 5wt oil in the fork. What a difference! Although maybe a bit stiff, but I ride mostly street and gravel. I weigh 225lbs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 03, 2014 5:48 am

PeteN95 wrote:Just installed an 11kg rear and .49 front springs with 5wt oil in the fork.  What a difference!  Although maybe a bit stiff, but I ride mostly street and gravel.  I weigh 225lbs.

\nice - Where did you get the springs and how much? Did you revalve?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 04, 2014 12:10 am

I have tryed  the stock 9,2 , aftermarket 10,5 , 11 and 11,5 ,  i have left the 11 in as it felt the best , and kept the 11,5 for when i load the bike for my planned trips  ,
on the front side i am on the 49 kg rated spring as that was the hardest i could get  , still too soft for me but big improovement over the stock spring , 53 kg would be ideal but the only way to get one would be a custom made spring  Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Stiffer springs Empty stiffer springs for sale

Post  Guest Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 am

ive got a 11.5 rear, .49 fork- [ beat head  beat head  beat head  actually .47] srings for sale if anyone wants them, i need softer springing to go with my revalved suspension, these are suposed to work for a 90-95kg rider, id take $120 nz, cost me in excess  of $300
,sorry guys just noticed the fork springs are .47kg - not .49kg

Last edited by temporary kiwi on Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong info supplied)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 am

Mauser, Chris' bike is not an L neither an R.......... it is an M, from Motard - or Moron, and yes, I did tell Chris this in person!! A to-tal waste of a superb bike, the man is doing all & sundry to it, even fitting R1 zorsts under the seat I believe!
Help me convince him he should mount knobblies to it? After all supermotos ride on dirt too, he actually may find this is more of his liking than tar  BRP smile Bump 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 06, 2014 10:58 am

BuRP wrote:Mauser, Chris' bike is not an L neither an R.......... it is an M, from Motard - or Moron, and yes, I did tell Chris this in person!! A to-tal waste of a superb bike, the man is doing all & sundry to it, even fitting R1 zorsts under the seat I believe!
Help me convince him he should mount knobblies to it? After all supermotos ride on dirt too, he actually may find this is more of his liking than tar  BRP smile Bump 

XR650SMR - only 1 zorst and here is the outlet

Stiffer springs 20131210

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Chris_w_65 wrote:\nice - Where did you get the springs and how much? Did you revalve?

Ebay and no, not yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down